Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
But Ken Rockwell would if Nikon made one.
LMAO

12-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
But Ken Rockwell would if Nikon made one.
Who is Ken Rockwell?

12-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Who is Ken Rockwell?

Founder and CEO of the Anal Probe Corporation.
He's got some other wiiiierrrd crap stuffed away on that site of his as well.

Last edited by sgtkashim; 12-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sgtkashim Quote
Founder and CEO of the Anal Probe Corporation.
He's got some other wiiiierrrd crap stuffed away on that site of his as well.
lmao

12-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Does second hand value matter? I suspect black or silter will hold their value best even though the innards are the same as the pink one.
12-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #21

Actually I think I was able to sell my navy blue k-x for more than the black would have gone for...depends on the color I guess.
12-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Get the color you want. Just stick a Cokin hood system on there and you'll look like you're shooting video.

I can't tell you how many Canikons come up to me and ask, "What kind of lens is that?"

I usually want to say, "Idiot--don't you know a lens hood when you see one?" But I wind up saying, "It's Pentax's new XL134B, a remarkable 28-75 zoom that's an astonishing and fixed F1.0."

I love doing this, because it gets them really jealous.

12-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Get the color you want. Just stick a Cokin hood system on there and you'll look like you're shooting video.

I can't tell you how many Canikons come up to me and ask, "What kind of lens is that?"

I usually want to say, "Idiot--don't you know a lens hood when you see one?" But I wind up saying, "It's Pentax's new XL134B, a remarkable 28-75 zoom that's an astonishing and fixed F1.0."

I love doing this, because it gets them really jealous.
HAHA

I was walking around the gardens at a chateau in the loire in the late 90s with an mz5 and an mz50 around my neck, both with modest lenses but with Cokin filter systems attached, I had a guy from Africa come up and ask what magazine I was shooting for
12-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
HAHA

I was walking around the gardens at a chateau in the loire in the late 90s with an mz5 and an mz50 around my neck, both with modest lenses but with Cokin filter systems attached, I had a guy from Africa come up and ask what magazine I was shooting for
Eddie, I love these modular hoods--but for me, I think it has more to do with ***** size issues. (HAH!)

But seriously folks:

They're versatile and offer great protection for the lens. And when you look at my lens list, how the heck can you have separate hoods to accommodate all of those FLs and filter diameters? (I always want to use the longest hood I can without vignetting.)

With the Cokin, I just buy the different rings.

Granted, my CP isn't the greatest, but it's a compromise I have to live with to make sure I HAVE a CP on there, which I really need down here most of the time.
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Eddie, I love these modular hoods--but for me, I think it has more to do with ***** size issues. (HAH!)

But seriously folks:

They're versatile and offer great protection for the lens. And when you look at my lens list, how the heck can you have separate hoods to accommodate all of those FLs and filter diameters? (I always want to use the longest hood I can without vignetting.)

With the Cokin, I just buy the different rings.

Granted, my CP isn't the greatest, but it's a compromise I have to live with to make sure I HAVE a CP on there, which I really need down here most of the time.
Aside from the cost oh having all my filter replicated in various filter sizes (though on my Sigma the Cokin P vignettes a bit at the wide 82mm filter size pushes the extreme limits for the P system
The CP may not be the best, but it has served me well over the years, I learned not to chase specs too much after a couple of decades on the audiophile merry go round. (doesn't stop me lusting after some gear though like a k5 or the fa 31,43,77 set but income doesn't match the desires champagne tastes on a beer budget most of the time
12-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I've been using a red K-x for paying gigs all year. Nary a peep from clients. I think one of the things that squelches any questions is the fact that it's not the only piece of kit that I bring. I usually have an impressive DA* 50-135 hanging off the front, my K20d hanging on my other shoulder, a big Metz flash, softboxes, tripods, and other things needed to get the job done.

Oh, and I dress nicely and act professional too. That goes a long way.

Don't sweat the K-x - it's highly capable. And the most important thing is knowing that it will get the job done.
01-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
Forum Member

Good for club shooting

I use the pentax kx for all my pro work. I just did xmas party a few weeks ago, before that I did some head shots for a church and last week I did a maternity shoot. You can see some of my work here

Flickr: frank'spix's Photostream

Do pro work is the reason I went for the Black camera...but I also want to get a kr and I would get a white one as one or black could easily do professional work without much of smirk from anyone.

Unless I was shooting at a club or something where I could go with a crazy color I would stick with black or even the white.

For me the camera works great. I have a flash bracket and metz 48 and no one questions me about my abilities or what camera I'm using they just like the pictures.
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Two shooters and a white K-x

I looked up these notable quotes from the Shutterbug review where Joe and Mary Farace used a white K-x, "With its all-white finish, the K-x I tested got major style points everywhere it went. When Mary shot the camera at the SEMA show she received compliments from car and media people alike, including Lexus’ official photographer who was shooting the $375,000 LFA and raved about the camera and wondered why all cameras didn’t offer a white option. Event photographers, especially wedding photographers already shooting with its big brother K20D, should get one of these white cameras for their assistants. Not only will they provide their clients with great-looking images, but the props they score with the people at the event will add a subtle guerrilla marketing touch. In these difficult economic times any edge you can get over the competition can translate into more bookings, events, and weddings, and from that comes greater profitability." the report was from earlier in 2010 before the release of the K-r, so of course you can always get a white K-r as another option.

Does this this help you a bit?

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
The title pretty much covers my question, but to elaborate, I have been thinking of parting with my K10 for something newer. I do like my K10, but I could really use something with better high ISO performance, and the lack of features on a K-x is not a real issue for me.

My concern is this - I do get the occasional paying job - a small wedding, an engagement set, the odd graduation. Will showing up with a K-x around my neck send the wrong message? Also, what if I decided to go with one of the colors - right now it is a toss up between the white, the navy blue, and the bright green. I'm largely thinking of the colors because they can be purchased new very inexpensively. How glossy are the colors in real life? In product photos the navy looks like it is wet!
01-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I looked up these notable quotes from the Shutterbug review where Joe and Mary Farace used a white K-x, "With its all-white finish, the K-x I tested got major style points everywhere it went. When Mary shot the camera at the SEMA show she received compliments from car and media people alike, including Lexus’ official photographer who was shooting the $375,000 LFA and raved about the camera and wondered why all cameras didn’t offer a white option. Event photographers, especially wedding photographers already shooting with its big brother K20D, should get one of these white cameras for their assistants. Not only will they provide their clients with great-looking images, but the props they score with the people at the event will add a subtle guerrilla marketing touch. In these difficult economic times any edge you can get over the competition can translate into more bookings, events, and weddings, and from that comes greater profitability." the report was from earlier in 2010 before the release of the K-r, so of course you can always get a white K-r as another option.

Does this this help you a bit?
Actually, that helps a ton!
01-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #30

People comment on my red k-x all the time which is great. It is a great small bodies dslr. However, when I do pro work I use my black body. 1st impressions are huge...