Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Yet another upgrade thread? :D

So i'm currently a college student and an amateur photographer. I have been using the Pentax K-x for about a year now and only have two lens with it. The stock and a Sigma 18-250mm. I got the lens mostly for the vacation but have since only used that lens.

I recently got into making videos also and felt like the video on the k-x was a bit grainy and bad for low light situation. So I was wondering if the k-5 was worth the upgrade or maybe I should switch over to a 60d. =X

I'm probably going to use the money I saved up on for my lens and spend it on the upgrade. I'm a broke college student with high interest in Photography and Videos but lack the money for a dedicated video camera. Any suggestions?

p.s. I've searched around the forums for similar questions but only found out that Pentax uses higher quality video format vs Canon but still doesn't come out as clean.

Thanks!

12-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by penquin Quote
So i'm currently a college student and an amateur photographer. I have been using the Pentax K-x for about a year now and only have two lens with it. The stock and a Sigma 18-250mm. I got the lens mostly for the vacation but have since only used that lens.

I recently got into making videos also and felt like the video on the k-x was a bit grainy and bad for low light situation. So I was wondering if the k-5 was worth the upgrade or maybe I should switch over to a 60d. =X

I'm probably going to use the money I saved up on for my lens and spend it on the upgrade. I'm a broke college student with high interest in Photography and Videos but lack the money for a dedicated video camera. Any suggestions?

p.s. I've searched around the forums for similar questions but only found out that Pentax uses higher quality video format vs Canon but still doesn't come out as clean.

Thanks!
If you are really a broke college student then you better stick to K-x. Changing systems would cost you roughly about $600 or more and you would end up with just one lens.

The lenses you have are not ideal for exploring bokeh & video, so I'd suggest you upgrade to a decent prime lens, for example DA 2,4/35mm AL.

cheers,
d

Last edited by dragra; 12-29-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: didn't like the embedded link layout
12-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'd stay stick with manual primes like old Takumars. Anyway there's no autofocus active during HD Video capture. Learn to do things like the Hollywood folks do it -- even on their fancy RedOne's they still use ancient Taylor-Hobson lenses that are manually focussed using a lever.

btw at 00:50 on the clip there's a very pronounced jello-cam effect on the vertical poles.. I guess that's one reason Hollywood won't be throwing out their RedOne's just yet :-)
12-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

If your only lens is a 18-250, it would be more sensible to get new/better lenses first, than moving to a new body... It seems to me the lens is the limiting factor in your setup...

BTW, take a look at this: Good Cameras and Lenses Versus Bad
He might be a Nikon guy , but I fully agree with him here...

12-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's your lenses that limit your low light and DoF control capabilities.
Having a fast few primes, such as Takumars or other reputable M42 lenses, would transform your photography, and not setting you back very much financially.

If you're contemplating switching systems, then you'd have a sufficient budget to accommodate a decent lens upgrade. Depending on what you are shooting, an f/2.8 zoom or faster prime may be highly advantageous for your work. All the best.
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

Very cool video! Who was the artist on your soundtrack?

Last edited by Rottie*Lover; 12-29-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added question
12-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

The previous posts gave your some good advice. Let me add a personal experience.

Your main lens is your Sigma 18-250mm. Not a bad all around lens, very versatile, very convenient. It is somehow similar to the DA18-250mm that was my first lens and is still my most used lens when I travel.

The main weakness of the all-around lenses like the 18-250mm is the low light situation. Simply these lenses do not have large aperture (low f). You need to complement your 18-150mm by some fast lenses, typically some fast prime lenses. (Fast = low aperture; prime = single focal length.) In my case I complemented by my DA18-250mm by a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 and a Pentax FA31mm f1.8. The Nokton is MF while the FA31mm is AF. Both lenses complement nicely each other and they have great IQ.

The all-around lenses are also not always ideal for bokeh and have some lens distortion and CA. Again you can remedy this with some good prime lenses.

In summary: keep your 18-250mm as your all-around travel lens. Do complement it by some prime lenses. Consider/plan carefully your next purchases to have a nice collection of good lenses. You definitely need some fast prime lens(es).

Lastly go for quality lenses (even 2nd hand). A good lens is a (long term) investment that will not loose its value.

Hope that the comment will help....
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
Very cool video! Who was the artist on your soundtrack?
the song: "Men of Snow" by Ingrid Michaelson

whole video was shot with DA 2,8/40mm Limited.
besides, it's not my video, the artist' name is Amy.

cheers,
d

12-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies!

I always thought that the graininess from the videos I took from the K-x was the cameras problem as opposed to the lens. Tried a couple of times with the ev lock to see if there was a difference and even though there was it was still a bit grainy.

However, I have been thinking about buying a new lens for quite a while now. So the question now would be is the graininess coming from the 18-250mm lens or the camera?

I've also been looking at the FA 50mm f/1.4 for quite some time and already have money for that. Was just debating if the new spark in video interest would make me buy a different system =X

Also to orly_andico - I love the auto focusing for making videos. Thats what made me fall in love with it.
12-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about a good video camera?
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

penquin, grain/noise will always come from the camera, but the limitations of the lens are what compels the camera (in auto modes) to boost ISO and therefore produce noise in the images taken.

A 'faster' lens would certainly help in this regard.
Indeed, video is a by-product capability from the ability to shoot stills. It's not very sophisticated in dSLRs (at this stage) and a good video camera is warranted if you're after good quality video with AF.
12-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

If memory serves me right, in video mode the K5 records only every third line, thus the resolution is only 1/3 of the still imagery. I would believe that the Kx (and all of the other brands) do something similar.

On the topic of lenses, I would look for either a "M" or "A" 50mm f2.0. They are inexpensive and plentiful. Also, Tokina use to make a manual (K mount) 28mm f2.8 that is also plentiful and inexpensive.

I would also check on Craigslist (for the Pentax) in your area.

12-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
Forum Member

The old lenses really are the best choice for video - the autofocus doesn't work anyway, and the shutter speed is fixed. If you want to change exposure mid-shot, then you'll need an aperture ring. I'd get either a fast prime (50 1.7, something like that... or a fast-ish old zoom. I have a Tokina 28-70 that I took the aperture detents out of. It gives me zoom and smooth aperture changes.

Example vid - http://www.youtube.com/user/enkei555#p/a/u/2/e-SzSzSZTIw
Though this is from before we removed the detents.
12-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Forum Member

i don't understand... does AF work in video mode? AFAIK it does not.

hence I really really suggest an old 50/1.4 Super Takumar. With the metal focusing ring (no rubber). Those things have the best manual-focusing feel I've ever experienced, and that includes a couple of Leica Elmarits.
12-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
the song: "Men of Snow" by Ingrid Michaelson

whole video was shot with DA 2,8/40mm Limited.
besides, it's not my video, the artist' name is Amy.
d
Up until I saw this video, I always thought that the addition of video mode to a dSLR was silly. Your post changed my mind. And thanks for the url to Amy's site, I enjoyed it a lot.