Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

K-x and Raynox DCR-250

Dear All,

I am a newbie to DSLR (My panasonic tz-7 was a great compact solution) and I want to buy k-x in order to photo flower/insect macro. The kit I have in mind include the 18-55 und 50-200 lenses. None of these lenses is for macro but I liked the Raynox DCR-250 solution.

Therefore, can someone please explain me how it is connected to the 18-55 lens (photos will be welcome) and how to use it.

Furthermore, any idea for a cheap solution for macro lens?

Thanks a lot&happy new year,
Ashz

12-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Raynox attaches like a lens cap would. You pinch it and when you release it there are 2 tabs that "grab" onto the filter threads.

Shooting with the Raynox can be a little tricky. I have had mine for a while but have not really tried to use it too much. The DOF is very small (there might be a way to make it larger), and you have to be pretty close to the subject, but I guess most macros are like that.

As for other options besides getting a true macro lens, you could get a reversing ring and reverse attach another lens, or get an extension tube. I have not tried reversing a lens but an extension tube works pretty good.
12-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The DCR-250 has greater magnification, thinner DOF, and a closer working distance than the DCR-150. So you might consider the -150 as an easier option. The Raynox "universal mount" is a pinch-on device that fits 52-69mm front-thread lenses (the DA18-55 has a 52mm thread) and can be forced onto a 49mm thread -- although I usually use a 49-46mm step-down ring to mount my -250 onto my Pentax 49mm-thread lenses.

Lens reversal is powerful and tricky. Powerful, because by reverse-stacking one lens onto another, you can gain great magnification. Tricky, because any reversed lens setup has a very close working distance -- 45.5mm, under two inches. Whether a lens is reverse-stacked using a thread-reversal ring, or just flipped using a mount-reversal ring, the working distance is that same wee little bit. The reversed lens MUST have a manual aperture ring.

Extension (tubes and/or bellows) can be added to any manual-aperture lens. Some camera lenses will not give a flat-field rendering with edge-to-edge sharpness, so I like inexpensive enlarger lenses on extension. Only fairly expensive and hard-to find macro tubes, or modified teleconverters, will allow auto-aperture lenses to work with auto-aperture control. Most tube and bellows work well with available or controlled light, but are tricky with flash.

A Raynox allows full auto operation of a lens. It is simpler than cheaper methods, and cheaper than dedicated macro lenses. A Raynox is a good plaace to staart.