Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm blessed (if you can call it that) to be living in sunny Florida, where 9 times out of 10, I can shoot at 100 with apertures down to 8 and still safely handhold (especially with SR).

And 100 never leaves my camera, unless we're talking fast moving objects or serious overcast.

I really like that second shot! Are you in western Florida?

12-31-2010, 05:34 AM   #17

Not sure about this. I read somewhere that the KX features "ISO 100 and ISO 12,800 Equivalent". They do function, but perhaps they're not 'true' settings, and there may be some processing or interpolation going on in order to get these equivalents.
12-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see it only as a means to permit longer shutter speeds. It may or may not offer any real noise control advantage, but the practical use in long exposures is important for some and as such is no gimmick. There are a number of true gimmicks on the K-x, such as all the auto scene modes, but that's another story...
12-31-2010, 06:26 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I really like that second shot! Are you in western Florida?
Thanks. I'm at the other side of the state, between Ft. Lauderdale and Boca.

That shot was taken in Marathon in The Keys.

12-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Well then, why did they make the K-x such that it shifts to iso 200 when highlight correction is turned on?
12-31-2010, 07:25 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by amidtb994 Quote
Well then, why did they make the K-x such that it shifts to iso 200 when highlight correction is turned on?
The K-x's highlight correction doesn't get high marks, so I guess that's in line with what I was saying:

It's more of an entry level user feature.

All I know is that Kiwi's blue sky noise samples above at 100 and 200 are enough for me.
01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The extra stop permitted me to capture more of this slowing ride's light trails, and no appreciable noise at 100%:

01-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice work Ash, i rarely have luck with ride shots

01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for responding. Now I wonder if is there a way to limit lower ISO to say 125 .

This is from dpr forum.

QuoteQuote:
Dan, the advantage to lower ISO's below ISO 200 is slightly lower noise down to about ISO 125, and after that the extra gain is just achieved with less highlight headroom = greater highlight clipping.

Regards, GordonBGood
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Thanks all for responding. Now I wonder if is there a way to limit lower ISO to say 125 .

This is from dpr forum.
Yusuf, of course there is:

Manual ISO--don't let the camera select it for you.

Even in your auto modes, you can use fixed ISO in your settings, and all you have to do is hit the ISO button to change it. It's the simplest thing to change on the fly, because you don't have to go into any menus to do it.

I'll never understand why even moderately advanced shooters use auto ISO, but to each his own. We've discussed this issue before here.
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ira, yeah I am aware of manual ISO but then the reason for me to use auto ISO is that I keep on forgetting what ISO I've set. This is not a problem when I have set a lower ISO, but at instances I shot at ISO 800 in daylight just because I forgot that last night I changed the ISO from 200 to 800.

Yusuf, of course there is:

Manual ISO--don't let the camera select it for you.

Even in your auto modes, you can use fixed ISO in your settings, and all you have to do is hit the ISO button to change it. It's the simplest thing to change on the fly, because you don't have to go into any menus to do it.

I'll never understand why even moderately advanced shooters use auto ISO, but to each his own. We've discussed this issue before here.
01-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #27

With a 35mm lens and in aperture priority mode, Auto ISO will choose an ISO that yields a shutter speed of 1/80s on my K-x. Shutter blur FAIL. I brought home ~15 potentially very nice yet ruined shots on my last vacation.

If I use Auto again, it'll be in Tv mode.
01-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Thanks Ira, yeah I am aware of manual ISO but then the reason for me to use auto ISO is that I keep on forgetting what ISO I've set. This is not a problem when I have set a lower ISO, but at instances I shot at ISO 800 in daylight just because I forgot that last night I changed the ISO from 200 to 800.
If you change your Ev steps, it doesn't allow you to change the range?
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can not set the minimum Auto ISO (it is always either 100 or 200). Personally I have played with ISO 140 - 160 but I still prefer the results from 100 myself.

I have my own opinion on this:

Although quite advanced, the K-x is still considered a "starter" DLSR. So for new users using auto modes, that extra stop loss from 200 to 100 will result in some unacceptable shots if the user is using auto ISO and the camera decides to go to 100. (Regardless of the auto mode you're in.) It's this same thinking that kept manufacturers from selling, let's say, ASA 50 disposable film cameras. They knew that would get people into trouble if they weren't shooting on the beach in bright sun.

In other words, conditions have to be right for 100, and for users who don't give a crap about conditions and just want to get the damn shot, Pentax keeps 100 locked away until you're ready for it. Same thing on the HIGH end:

They keep you away from mega-high ISO and resulting noise unless you're ready for it and know what to expect.
Understand the logic Ira (especially for high ISO) but for the low ISO, surely a beginner is more likely to leave the camera on Auto ISO and so camera won't use it if inappropriate anyway??? In case they will have the same problem with ISO 200 in winter or poorly lit scenes?

Also, quality aside, I think having ISO 100 as extended range probably puts off people using it when its appropriate to use it (like when you want a longer exposure without such a small apperture for example). In any case I have yet to see any photos that demostrate any advantage (other than speed) of ISO200 over ISO100, so I still find ISO 100 as extended range all puzzling.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 01-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.
01-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Took a few quick shots today at ISO 100, 125 and 200 & didn't find *any* noticeable difference between all in terms of noise. May be I will take a few more shots later tomorrow but would love to see your experience too.