Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 Firmware update?

I just bought a K-7 with the standard 18-55 WR lens and the 50-200 WR lens.

In looking at the Pentax web page I see they have firmware updates available. Is updating the camera firmware necessary? You'd think they would have worked most of the bugs out of the camera's operating system by now (??).

I'm an old time photographer (started photography as a hobby in the late 1950's in high school) and plan to use the camera on Manual 99% of the time with an incident light meter. Is there anything in the latest firmware updates that I really NEED?

LDBennett

12-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

You decide.. If you don't think you need or want the improvements made in the updates, leave it alone. Otherwise, Update. You are at v1.00?

12-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JeffJS:

Thanks for the link.

It appears that the changes in the firmware are not necessary for my uses but how do I determine what version of the software is in this brand new camera?

LDBennett
12-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JeffJS:

I found the version number in the data associated with the image. It is version 1.0

Thanks,

LDBennett

12-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hold the menu button while turning on the camera. The firmware version will display for a few seconds and then the camera will go to ready mode. This incidentally is the same way you start the upgrade once you have made the preparations. DO NOT update the firmware without a Freshly Charged Battery. That may become the part you regret.

12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LDBennett Quote
I just bought a K-7 with the standard 18-55 WR lens and the 50-200 WR lens.

In looking at the Pentax web page I see they have firmware updates available. Is updating the camera firmware necessary? You'd think they would have worked most of the bugs out of the camera's operating system by now (??).
With the K7, I think they got everything pretty much ironed out with the first update, which was released very soon after the camera hit the market.
They do have most of the bugs worked out in the K7, but you have to update the firmware to take advantage of the fixes.

QuoteQuote:

I'm an old time photographer (started photography as a hobby in the late 1950's in high school) and plan to use the camera on Manual 99% of the time with an incident light meter. Is there anything in the latest firmware updates that I really NEED?

LDBennett
The way you are shooting, probably not.