Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Tracy, From what Pentax was saying you could shoot continuous in .jpg mode until the card was full and ~9 RAW images in sequence. From the amount of sequential photos I would assume you are shooting in .jpg format so is the information from Pentax bogus as to continuous till card full? Anyone have any inputs on this?
Hi Clarence!

I don't think the info from Pentax is bogus. I just haven't tried JPG mode yet like that. I shoot RAW to better manage the white balance.

The rink we skate has huge walls of glass windows. The light during the day is extremely different from one end of the rink to the other. Then at night, the overhead lights are just as unpredictable. The end near the scoreboard is cool and dark while the end near the party rooms is warm and brighter. The middle is just a conglomeration of all different types of light sources from the lobby and the rink and the balcony. It's a white balance nightmare.

I tried about 100 shots in JPG once about a year ago with a manually set white balance point and gave up really quickly because of not being able to correct the pink ice as nicely as I could in RAW.

I plan on trying the limits again this weekend with both the II and III cards as well as in JPG. I'll try to post some comprehensible results! HA!

12-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I don't have the K10D, but... I read that you get more than 9 raw pictures in a rowe if you have a fast card and tell the camera to write raw only, not raw+ which is raw and JPG at the same time.
Hi Jonas!! Glad to hear from you here!

I was getting between 10-12 with the SD III card but don't have an example sequence from that session. I do use RAW only. My disk space is evaporating by the second with all the RAW files I'm generating. HA!
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Tracy,
Thanks for the photos. I like the idea of using it as coaching tool. It would be great to see this same thing in AF. Can't wait for spring to try it on some hurdlers.

Regards,
ken
Hi Ken!

Thank you! The coaches are excited about the idea. Now hurdlers would be neat! Hope you get some to show us then!
12-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That looks like fun, but couldn't you just use a video camera, that way you get 25-30 frames a second for the length of a tape!
Hi Arpe!

Thanks! Well, video just doesn't have the impact on kids these days. Plus the coaches would have to find the spot on the tape, rewind, play, etc. It could be effective, it's just not as convinient as having that photo to shove in the kid's face!

12-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That looks like fun, but couldn't you just use a video camera, that way you get 25-30 frames a second for the length of a tape!
Hi Arpe!

Thanks! Well, video just doesn't have the impact on kids these days. Plus the coaches would have to find the spot on the tape, rewind, play, etc. It could be effective, it's just not as convinient as having that photo to shove in the kid's face!

I've tried producing stills from video before. It was a pain and the quality just wasn't anything usable.
12-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dotnik Quote
Very góod examples showing the increased speed. Much more informative than boring numbers. Thanks for sharing, Tracy. Well done.
Hi Jim!

Thank you! Glad they were a good demonstration. This is definitely one of the main reasons I was waiting for the K10D and it's lived up to that promise.
12-08-2006, 05:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Morning Tracy,
I missed this the other day. I haven't had a chance to stress the buffer yet, but I'm sure I will the first air show I shoot with it.

That is a very nice series. I think the skating coach is going to be calling on you to help analyze all his skaters.

-Alan

12-08-2006, 06:39 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tracy, great sports shots. You are really using the K10D to its potential. fast movement combined with ever changing WB sounds like a tough assignment. No wonder you shoot RAW. Love it when people are amazed that sports can be shot in manual focus!
enjoy the new camera.
thanks
barondla
12-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Very nice, Tracy. The buffer is my single biggest draw to the K10D, even bigger than the 10MP sensor. You've done well with the large buffer.

Cheers!
-Asad
12-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Morning Tracy,
I missed this the other day. I haven't had a chance to stress the buffer yet, but I'm sure I will the first air show I shoot with it.

That is a very nice series. I think the skating coach is going to be calling on you to help analyze all his skaters.

-Alan
Good Morning!

An air show! Oh that will be cool. I can imagine a composite of some of the snap and roll maneuvers.

Thanks Alan! The skating school director has said it would be a great idea to get the good jumpers in for a special session to get pictures of all of the different types of jumps for posting on the bulletin board. Probably won't happen until after Christmas, though. The Christmas show is in 2 weeks and that means photos from 2 dress rehearsals and the show - weeks of post processing, Arrrggg!

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Tracy, great sports shots. You are really using the K10D to its potential. fast movement combined with ever changing WB sounds like a tough assignment. No wonder you shoot RAW. Love it when people are amazed that sports can be shot in manual focus!
enjoy the new camera.
thanks
barondla
Thanks Barondla! Glad to know someone else considers ice skating a sport. It is a tough WB situation, though, and your comment about manual focus reminded me of something. Another parent bought a Canon DSLR just after I bought my first DS. She returned it because it wouldn't manual focus sharp enough. Went back to using her film Canon SLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Very nice, Tracy. The buffer is my single biggest draw to the K10D, even bigger than the 10MP sensor. You've done well with the large buffer.

Cheers!
-Asad
Thanks Asad! It is a whopper of a buffer and I'm really looking forward to using that capability a lot. Can't wait to see what you are going to do to fill up the buffer! Any plans?

Last edited by photo_mom; 12-09-2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Pressed submit way to fast. Meant to do multiple quotes.
12-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW

Glad Phil re-posted about this thread, or else I might not have looked! Those shots are great, very Zuckerishly done!

(And yeah, the buffer and overall speed is incredibly better than the DS.)
12-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Glad Phil re-posted about this thread, or else I might not have looked! Those shots are great, very Zuckerishly done!

(And yeah, the buffer and overall speed is incredibly better than the DS.)
Thanks Sean!
12-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*** Update ***

Hi again!

A few people suggested some different things to try, both here and at DPR.

So, I went out this afternoon and took some photos of my daughter jumping on the trampoline in front of our woods (complicated subject) and of a blank white wall (non-complicated subject).

K10D w/SD III card FA50/1.4 manual focus (daughter on trampoline)
RAW: 9 photos before stopping to write
DNG: 12
JPG ***: 19 (I just stopped because it was obvious it wasn't going to!)

DS w/SD III card FA50/1.4 manual focus (daughter on trampoline)
RAW: 5
JPG: 8

K10D w/SD III card white wall
RAW: 10
DNG: 13

I didn't do the JPG/K10D on the white wall because it seemed rather silly being as the JPG mode even with the complicated subject didn't ever stop to write.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Interesting results...