Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Loving the buffer size - K10D!!

Hi!

Well, one of the main reasons I bought this camera has proven to be well worth it. I wanted a bigger buffer and sure got it. With an Sandisk Extreme III 2G card, although I'm not really positive that the card makes that much of a difference yet, I'm getting 10-12 shots before it stops to finish writing. With a Sandisk Ultra II 2G card I'm getting 7-10. I haven't done enough continuous shooting yet to know if the difference is due to the cards.

This is the kind of sequence the coaches can used to demonstrate to the kids what is right and what is wrong with their jumps or moves. With the DS I was getting 5 shots max and could never catch the apex if I got the beginning of the jump. I would always catch just the takeoff and maybe catch the exact point of landing in the sequence. The movement below is from right to left.

ist*DS FA77 f2.2 800ISO 1/640s manual focus

I put this one together specifically side by side with no real attempts to blend or make the background less distracting to show the whole jump. It curves back around on itself so if I'd done it like the one above, most of the skater would have been overlaid in several areas and it would be difficult to see the differences in position. The movement here is from left to right.

K10D FA 50mm f2.8 800ISO 1/250s single AF

With the DS I would have to manually focus on the skater at the point I wanted to start the sequence and just leave the focus alone until the end of the sequence. With the K10D I can use AF if I want. It's fast enough to do that!

12-07-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's great you're getting some good use out of the K10 large buffer...it is very good, and a stack better than my DL or k100 was.
12-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Impressive, Tracy. Well put to use! You just made me want a K10D very badly :-)

Phil
12-07-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A big buffer that allows you to do 10-12 shots before stopping is really great especially that ice skating place looks freezing to me. Amazing that you can take photographs using 77/1.8 manual focus, tracking an athlete in smooth streamline motion skating really well as I cannot do that well at all)

Your photographs are both sleek and elegantly captured.

I actually wonder whether this big buffer in k10d varies in size depending on the details within each shot taken. For examples, if the shot was focused on a bird in flight against white pale cloudy sky, there is little detail to record hence more shots could be taken as a result of less details to be recorded per each pic. While an athlete like a hockey player with colourful outfit playing in a field of many people, buffer would be smaller comparatively hence less shots will be taken.

Am I talking crap or this is making sense?

12-07-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
A big buffer that allows you to do 10-12 shots before stopping is really great especially that ice skating place looks freezing to me. Amazing that you can take photographs using 77/1.8 manual focus, tracking an athlete in smooth streamline motion skating really well as I cannot do that well at all)

Your photographs are both sleek and elegantly captured.

I actually wonder whether this big buffer in k10d varies in size depending on the details within each shot taken. For examples, if the shot was focused on a bird in flight against white pale cloudy sky, there is little detail to record hence more shots could be taken as a result of less details to be recorded per each pic. While an athlete like a hockey player with colourful outfit playing in a field of many people, buffer would be smaller comparatively hence less shots will be taken.

Am I talking crap or this is making sense?
Why thank you, Roentarre, very much!

Once you get the face in focus, the difference from one frame to another is not enough to have to refocus. So you have to just track.

What you're saying about the detail makes sense. I know it makes a difference in the size of the final file sometimes when there is much less detail. It might make a difference in the write speed. Will have to try it and see!
12-07-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philzucker Quote
Impressive, Tracy. Well put to use! You just made me want a K10D very badly :-)

Phil
Thanks Phil! I thought you might find it tempting for this reason alone. I can just imagine some of the composites you could create with it.
12-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
It's great you're getting some good use out of the K10 large buffer...it is very good, and a stack better than my DL or k100 was.
Thanks Scott! It blows my DS away in that respect.

12-07-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Tracey great set of shots and info on the K10. I really have to learn how you guys do this type of photo. I assume you take all the photo's and stich them together with some software. Or is this a layers thing?

Nice work and good to hear from you again. I noticed you have not posted in a while and figured you were out using that new toy.
12-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Tracy, From what Pentax was saying you could shoot continuous in .jpg mode until the card was full and ~9 RAW images in sequence. From the amount of sequential photos I would assume you are shooting in .jpg format so is the information from Pentax bogus as to continuous till card full? Anyone have any inputs on this?
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I don't have the K10D, but... I read that you get more than 9 raw pictures in a rowe if you have a fast card and tell the camera to write raw only, not raw+ which is raw and JPG at the same time.
12-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Tracy,
Thanks for the photos. I like the idea of using it as coaching tool. It would be great to see this same thing in AF. Can't wait for spring to try it on some hurdlers.

Regards,
ken
12-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like fun, but couldn't you just use a video camera, that way you get 25-30 frames a second for the length of a tape!
12-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That looks like fun, but couldn't you just use a video camera, that way you get 25-30 frames a second for the length of a tape!
Because of image quality I guess.

A video camera would be perfect for analyzing movements alone because image quality is not important for this purpose but not if high quality still images are what you want / need.

Try counting the number of video cameras in the bunch of sport photographers at sport events. They would all be using video cameras if frame rate was all that matters. Capturing the right moment is not enough if resolution is important too.

Last edited by dotnik; 12-07-2006 at 05:00 PM.
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #14

Very góod examples showing the increased speed. Much more informative than boring numbers. Thanks for sharing, Tracy. Well done.
12-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Tracey great set of shots and info on the K10. I really have to learn how you guys do this type of photo. I assume you take all the photo's and stich them together with some software. Or is this a layers thing?

Nice work and good to hear from you again. I noticed you have not posted in a while and figured you were out using that new toy.
Hi Pat!

Thank you! It was a layers thing for the first one and a stitch/layer project for the second.

Yeah, I've had to change my work hours to 9-5:30. Then last weekend was our annual performance of the Messiah. I'm secretary/treasurer/stage manager and sing alto. The chorus has about 120 voices and a full chamber orchestra (2 violin, viola, cello, bass, 2 oboe, 2 trumpet, harpsichord, organ, timpani). Then my daughter was in the Christmas parade with the ice rink float. That along with skating practices and skating shows up until Christmas Eve weekend makes my December fly by.

But yes, I was using the K10D in all of the above so my frame count has steadily approached 1000 already!