Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Shutter blur for the k-x

I am very curious about shutter blur. But only for the k-x or the k-r. Falconeye has a very good paper on the k-7 and k-5. But i use the k-x and I think i am having a severe shutter blur problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a paper on the shutter blur for the k-x or k-r..

Thanks

12-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Garyk

I do not have a direct answer of your query. But it would be useful if you could describe in more details your "shutter blur". Could it be something else ? For example, you do not wait 1-2 s to have the SR confirmation?

Alternately, why don't you pm Falconeye directly?

Food for thoughts... and happy new year.
12-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am very curious about shutter blur. But only for the k-x or the k-r. Falconeye has a very good paper on the k-7 and k-5. But i use the k-x and I think i am having a severe shutter blur problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a paper on the shutter blur for the k-x or k-r..

Thanks
http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2010/07/lumolabs-shutter-induced-blur-with-slr.html

I think anything there could equally apply to the Kx. Thing is, though, that shouldn't be producing anything really visible without getting out a microscope.
You're more likely getting mirror slap, or an SR issue... Please give us more details.
12-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry i didn't give enough info. I use a super tele lens.
I have done some searches and think i will try a few things before i go anyfurther.
When i pull the triger with a t.c. on the system 700mm. It is very hard to get a sharp pic. I have tried to dampen it down some with my hand and face. It helps but still have problems.

Also Falconeye says in his blog he has not tested the k-x. That is the first thing i tried to find.
So,,,,,,, I am pretty sure it is shutter blur. I can take care of it somewhat. But not enough?

Last edited by garyk; 12-31-2010 at 12:30 AM.
12-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't heard anything negative regarding shutter blur and the k-x. What type of photography are you doing? Do you need mirror lockup, a 2 sec timer or remote with 3 sec delay? These features have been available for decades for a reason.
12-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
smc, I chase birds. So they are moving alot. I try to focus on the eye. so the camera and lens are moving constantly.

I have not tried mirror lock up. Because Falconeye says it does not help shutter induced blur in his blog ( I think)? He has a pretty good question and answer at the end of the report on the k-5 and k-7. And that makes sence to me also. A massive tripod would help i think he says.

But I want to know the starting point and amount of blur with reguards to shutter speed. So I can try to compensate for it. If not I may buy the k-5 just for the better build... Ahhhh
12-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
a 700mm lens would suggest a 1/1200 shutter speed. With SR enabled, in theory it could be as low as 1/300. Are you shooting with SR above these speeds? Have you input the focal length into the camera? I don't think it will pick up through a TC (but am not sure)
12-31-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Kxr4trids, Shooting on a gimble type mount. Have tried SR on and SR off.

Last edited by garyk; 12-31-2010 at 01:59 AM.
12-31-2010, 05:51 AM   #9

What type of lens are you using, and have you given any thought that the blur might just be poor lens quality? Especially if you're using one of those 'affordable' super telephoto lenses. Those 700-800mm mirror type lenses are terrible.
12-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91291-pentax-k-x-m...r-problem.html