Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K20D repair under extended service plan - great experience!

I just want to give some credit where credit is due. I received EXCELLENT service from Mack Camera Service on a recent repair under one of their service plans.

I don't ordinarily buy extended service plans or warranties. But when I bought my K20D back in early 2008, I decided I wanted some, uh, insurance against my own stupidity. Plus, it's a complex mechanical device, and those things break sometimes!

So I purchased a Mack Camera Service 3-year "Diamond" plan. And I ended up getting my money's worth.

Mack Warranty - Diamond Service

For a long while now, my camera has been acting up -- right after powering up, when the batteries were low, my first shot would end up with a blank frame, like the shutter never opened.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/34486-k20d-occasio...-captures.html

It happened most often using my off-brand cheapo batteries, so I attributed the problem to the batteries rather than the camera.

Then, some months later, I ended up dropping my camera. Oops!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/55177-i-bent-my-wookiee.html

The camera continued to work fine (well, except for that shutter problem, which didn't change), and I didn't send it in for repair because I didn't want to have it out of my hands for weeks on end (and I have a two-year-old, so A LOT changes in a few weeks).

So, for the last year-plus, I have had a dinged-up camera with a broken bottom plate that occasionally takes blank shots. Not ideal, right?

I finally decided to send my camera in for repair. There was only about six months left on my three-year policy, so I decided it was now or never.

Well, it ended up taking about five weeks, but I have my camera back now, and it's good as new! The blank-capture problem is gone, and the damaged body has been fixed. It actually sounds like they did quite a bit more from this description of their repair work:

"Repaired PCB, DC/DC converter, AF sensor and shutter unit. Replaced bottom cover. Resoldered board connector, calibrated AF/Meter/Shutter Speeds, cleaned image sensor, cleaned all to factory specs."

Was all that really busted?

In any case, I have nothing but good news to report. The camera works better than ever, and I got it back in time for the holidays. I was able to track the repair progress online -- they indicate when it has been received, and what's happening, and update it fairly frequently. At some point the status said "sent to manufacturer for service" so I assume it went off to visit the official Pentax service facility in Colorado, though I can't be sure. After that, the updates stopped for a while, until I got another notice that it was being prepped for shipment back to me.

I just wanted to pass along this anecdote. I'm thankful I had the extended service plan, as I'm sure this would have cost me hundreds of dollars otherwise.

Well done, Mack.

These service plans might not be for everyone. But it worked for me.

12-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good no know. Thanks for the info.