Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
has anyone bought from digitalelect.com?

They have the Kx with the 300mm lens kit for $625... that's $25 cheaper than Adorama. Are they Reputable? Thanks.

Charles.

01-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

do not buy from unknown source, there's article out there talking about the bait and switch method.

1) you see good price you order
2) they call you and ask you to buy accessories (overly priced)
3) if you buy then they make alot of profit.
4) if you don't they say the item is OOS and won't ship.

can't win with these guys, just go with the big dealer, makes your life easier (just think about it, how can these guys afford to give you a better price than a huge retailer like amazon? it just doesn't make sense).

I've read some of these small shops reviews, it's obviously written by their staff, because out of 150 reviews they had, 100 is written on the same day...
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Seems a little too cheap for me. If it is a scam it is clever because these scam sites usually set the price very low.

Whois.net lookup reveals:

Domain Name: DIGITALELECT.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy
Name Server: NS1.MORUDA.COM
Name Server: NS2.MORUDA.COM
Updated Date: 30-jul-2010
Creation Date: 27-jan-2009
Expiration Date: 27-jan-2011

Only been registered since 2009 and expires in 26 days. If it has been in operation for that long and noone here has heard of them I would stay well clear.
01-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

buyer beware

thoughts-of-dave: DigitalElect.com aka Digital Elect: Bait and Switch Alert

01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, they have terrible reviews. I just ordered from Adorama and received my camera in two days! So happy!

Charles.
01-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Yeah you pay that extra 25 dollars for peace of mind and less headaches imo.
01-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There's a great website for checking out online retailers, called ResellerRatings.com. (Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores).

Here's the link to their entry for DigitalElect.com Digital Elect - DigitalElect.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

As you can see, they have a rating of 2.06 out of a possible 10.

By comparison, Adorama gets a 9.49 and B & H gets a 9.82 rating.

According to the reviews, Digital Elect is one of those that makes you call to "confirm" the order or some such excuse. When you do, they pressure you to buy overpriced accessories. If you return an item, shipping is at your expense and they hit you with a restocking fee.

Run, do not walk, to Adorama or B & H.
01-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I read an article a while back about these on-line storefront electronics retailers in New York. The article said that most of them are owned by the same family (relatives, etc.) and have been repeatedly investigated by the New York Attorney General's office. They close them down and they spring up again under a new moniker. The "shipped by..." is the clue. I had a very negative experience with Tri-state camera. I received a defective Metz flash from them and it was absolute hell dealing with them. They tried to tell me that there was no burning smell and had already sent the defective flash to shipping to return to me. The second one they sent had the same issue. I called Metz and spoke with a technician who advised me that the flash should not have a burning smell. When I confronted them with this information they agreed to refund my money. I think it was because I asked whether I would need to contact the Attorney General's office about their business practices to get the issue resolved lol They also had crappy ratings with resellers.com. Their ebay storefront claims they have a hundred percent positive feedback. I think the reason is that customers that get burned are afraid to say anyhting lest they receive undeserved negative feedback.

01-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I read an article a while back about these on-line storefront electronics retailers in New York. The article said that most of them are owned by the same family (relatives, etc.) and have been repeatedly investigated by the New York Attorney General's office. They close them down and they spring up again under a new moniker. The "shipped by..." is the clue. I had a very negative experience with Tri-state camera. I received a defective Metz flash from them and it was absolute hell dealing with them. They tried to tell me that there was no burning smell and had already sent the defective flash to shipping to return to me. The second one they sent had the same issue. I called Metz and spoke with a technician who advised me that the flash should not have a burning smell. When I confronted them with this information they agreed to refund my money. I think it was because I asked whether I would need to contact the Attorney General's office about their business practices to get the issue resolved lol They also had crappy ratings with resellers.com. Their ebay storefront claims they have a hundred percent positive feedback. I think the reason is that customers that get burned are afraid to say anyhting lest they receive undeserved negative feedback.
I'm sure that what you say is true. I have heard nothing good about these places in Brooklyn. About three years ago, my boss was in the market for a new camera. He liked the Olympus E-510, which, at the time, was brand new. I showed him my K10D, but he still wanted the Oly.

He saw an online ad for Broadway Photo with a fantastic price. I told him to check them out on ResellerRatings, which he didn't do. Anyway, as soon as he placed the order, he got an email asking him to call to "confirm". When he did, they pressured him to buy an overpriced extra battery, telephoto zoom, flash and bag. He wanted most of that stuff anyway, but when he added up the price, including their outrageous shipping charges, he paid more than he would have at B & H.

The problem of retailiatory feedback on eBay has been solved in a brute force sort of way: sellers may no longer leave negative feedback on buyers. A seller can leave Positive feedback or no feedback at all.