Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #1

K10D & SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:4, 70-210mm

I have a pentax k10d and an smc pentax-a zoom lens. I need some advice on how to use the lens with the camera. The lens does not have the electronic features that work with the camera body. So I need to know how to utilize the electronic settings on the camera to properly use the lens. What settings do I need to use on the lens and what electronic settings do I use on the camera? Thank you for any help that you can offer.

12-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure the lens aperture ring is locked into the A position and you should be able to use it just as any other lens, minus the Auto Focus. If you are seeing F-- where the aperture should be on the top screen, make sure you have the custom menu setting, Use Aperture Ring (or something like that) set to Permitted. To get you started, set your camera to M mode, pick an aperture, focus, press the Green button, and shoot. The Green button will center the exposure and you can adjust from there to either under or over expose (but don't press the green button again after you've made your adjustments).

12-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by groth6654 Quote
I have a pentax k10d and an smc pentax-a zoom lens.
Set any Pentax-A lens to the A position (press the button to get there from f/22).

Set AF selector to MF (manual focus). You could leave it in AF but camera won't release shutter if focus is not confirmed. For now just switch to MF.

Use the lens in any mode you like. There is no difference in functionality compared to F, FA or DA lenses, except for auto focus. Wireless flash and P-TTL flash also works fine with Pentax-A lenses.
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Jeff and Ivan. I followed both of your suggestions and I have been successful getting it to work, however I have found that even in the Manual focus mode the shutter won't always release. I have had to focus and re-focus a couple of times in order to get the shutter to release. This is new to me so I guess that I will have to read up on it too. Your advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bill

12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10d is capable of Catch In Focus (focus trap) with these lenses but I don't remember if you have to turn it on or not (in the custom menu). In AF-S, if you hold the shutter release while turning the focus ring, the shutter will snap when it detects focus. This does not work with all lenses on the K10d (DA*SDM lenses for instance) but with manual A/M type lenses, it should. In AF-C and MF however, the shutter should trip regardless of focus. At least that's the way I remember it being.

12-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

This a catch in focus/focus trap photo taken with the SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:4, 70-210mm. I have had two copys and have sold both but would buy again if the price was right.

Frank

Last edited by Ladale; 01-01-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: no photo
12-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by groth6654 Quote
however I have found that even in the Manual focus mode the shutter won't always release. I have had to focus and re-focus a couple of times in order to get the shutter to release.
That's strange. Looks like you are not in MF mode and camera is expecting catch focus. Are you sure autofocus selector is in MF? If it is, put autofocus lens and try to see if AF lens focuses in MF mode, perhaps the AF mode selector is broken?

I have double checked with my K10D in MF mode and I can always release shutter with MF lenses, even with the cap on. My *istDS does the same.
12-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's happened a few times with my K10D over the years...don't know why, though. Some say one of the e-dials gets stuck between positions and the camera can't decide what to do. A quick reset of the power switch solves it, however inconvenient it is.

In my case, even a refocus wouldn't get the shutter to release...so that's a weird issue. Maybe flick the AF switch to AF.S then back to MF?

01-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Maybe flick the AF switch to AF.S then back to MF?
I guess that's the best thing to do. OP's description indicates camera does not read auto focus mode selector as in MF position, so flicking it back and forth a few times may actually help.

BTW, I personally never liked auto focus mode and metering mode levers on K10D. There are too soft with no distinct "clicks" between the positions, so I always double check if camera is really in the mode I want it to be.
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks again. Your suggestions and advice were helpful. I am new at using this camera. What it boiled down to is my lack of understanding the various functions of the camera. I am getting better at using the camera thanks to your help.