Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
This is also where I complain that Pentax is missing the point - if they want to keep on with the small-size sensor, at least bring about some innovative lenses for the format! How cool would an 80-200 f/2 lens be?!? They would sell every single one.
But Pentax is mired in thinking that a 50-135/2.8 somehow replaces an 80-200. This is just not so.
Thank you Sean. I was beginning to think I was a lone with this thought. I never used zooms with film. So I only know 70-200. To me a 50-135 is a nothing range. I am quite used to 70-200 f2.8 lens. In fact I think I would be quite hampered with a shorter range. And yeah, f2.0 would be very cool indeed.

10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #32
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not to mention that f2.8 gives more shallow dof on FF than on APS-C
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Why, you say?

So new lenses can also be used on film bodies, on which the "digital only" APS-C lenses are quite useless; I don't want to have TWO sets of lenses when one should suffice.

So wide angles are still wide angles. For the record, I don't believe the super-wides in "digital only" APS-C format equate to existing wide angles in FF. Far from it. The pics I see generally have buildings that look like a bow that has been pulled in preparation to launch an arrow. I'd prefer to limit that kind of distortion to specialty (i.e., fisheye) lenses used to intentionally create such effects, rather than be forced to accept it as a consequence of an undersized capture device.

So third party lens makers like Sigma will be more inclined to produce more of their more serious optics in PK mount, rather than leave Pentax shooters wanting.

I'll counter with my own "why?"

Why NOT? Why relegate what USED TO BE a top camera maker to being a bottom-feeder scrapping with every newcomer in the digicam marketplace for low margin, least-common-denominator products? Why not leverage the corporate partner, Tokina (one of the best lens makers there ever was) and new partner Samsung (who has invested tremendously in technology and as a result has emerged as an industry leader in electronics) to produce some mind-blowing products that will put Pentax back in the hunt as opposed to leaving it tied up on the porch like a spectator?!