Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #1

Full Frame????

My ist D died.. to soon. Repair minimum 500 euro...
No way. I just want a full frame. Can I wait for that or just go to Canon. I prefer not to, because I have some great Pentax glass and film bodies.
Canon and now Nikon and Sony do have full frame.
Will Pentax follow??

10-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanDam Quote
My ist D died.. to soon. Repair minimum 500 euro...
No way. I just want a full frame. Can I wait for that or just go to Canon. I prefer not to, because I have some great Pentax glass and film bodies.
Canon and now Nikon and Sony do have full frame.
Will Pentax follow??
If you were happy with the *ist D, why do you want full frame?
10-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Only Canon and Nikon have full frame bodies. But I have to ask also, why do you want a full frame so bad? I stopped noticing the crop factor years ago, and have been 150% satisfied with my K10D.

SLC
10-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

(snip) Canon and now Nikon and Sony do have full frame.
Will Pentax follow??

No. Or at least not anytime soon unless there is a major surprise in the works. By ending production of virtually all full-frame compatible lenses, Pentax has made a firm commitment to the APS-C image sensor.

Digital photography is a new world, not constrained by the standards of 35mm film cameras. As such, there is no valid reason for Pentax to be constained by that either. If you're going to argue image quality, why stop at a 35mm film size image sensor (so-called, full frame) when an image sensor twice that size might deliver even more? If your answer is compromise, why not compromise with a smaller sensor (APS-C) that delivers nearly equal results while offering lower cost, smaller cameras, and more?

stewart

10-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
Happy with the ist D?? Not really. But it was the first they came out with. And I hoped for full frame. I would enjoy my lenses a lot more. Shot film with them before. Can not get used to the crop. DOF changes. And I have the best 15mm ever made on the planet. I wish to use it as a 15mm.....
10-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
No. Or at least not anytime soon unless there is a major surprise in the works. By ending production of virtually all full-frame compatible lenses, Pentax has made a firm commitment to the APS-C image sensor.

Digital photography is a new world, not constrained by the standards of 35mm film cameras. As such, there is no valid reason for Pentax to be constained by that either. If you're going to argue image quality, why stop at a 35mm film size image sensor (so-called, full frame) when an image sensor twice that size might deliver even more? If your answer is compromise, why not compromise with a smaller sensor (APS-C) that delivers nearly equal results while offering lower cost, smaller cameras, and more?

stewart
I think they made a mistake there. Even Nikon goes full frame now. They really will lose the battle. It is a shame. Because they make beautifull glass. Will have to sell that.
10-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
Only Canon and Nikon have full frame bodies. But I have to ask also, why do you want a full frame so bad? I stopped noticing the crop factor years ago, and have been 150% satisfied with my K10D.

SLC
I never got used to the crop factor. Especially when I want to use my 15mm and 31mm. And now Canon Nikon and Sony do full frame. Pentax will not have a healthy future, if they don't follow. Unless they will come out with a "cheap" digital 645. But marketing wise, it would be smarter to develop also a full frame DSLR. And we have now also great Zeiss lenses with a K-mount..

10-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Not Registered

As you will probably now, Pentax has been messing around for a long time with a medium format digital. Some people want to believe that all that R&D in big sensor developing might go to a full-frame project. Another people suggested that next Pentax high-end model might be a 1.25/1.3 crop since it seemed that Sony was developing such a sensor and Pentax might use it in the next future. As you see, it is full of "it might". I am with Stewart photo and I would not expect to see full frame anytime soon but I am not an expert neither.
10-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't understand the full-frame obsession many people have. Rather than thinking of 31mm as a wide angle, is it that hard to just treat it as a normal lens? Don't even think in terms of "crop-factors" -- it's simply a normal lens in the digital era. I use 35mm, 120, and digital, and all use focal lengths differently. Digital is not film, and treating as such leads nowhere.

When I want to use my 31mm as a wide angle (where it performs beautifully), I simply stick it on a film body and shoot away...
10-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
As you will probably now, Pentax has been messing around for a long time with a medium format digital. Some people want to believe that all that R&D in big sensor developing might go to a full-frame project. Another people suggested that next Pentax high-end model might be a 1.25/1.3 crop since it seemed that Sony was developing such a sensor and Pentax might use it in the next future. As you see, it is full of "it might". I am with Stewart photo and I would not expect to see full frame anytime soon but I am not an expert neither.
Sony made a full frame censor, that is now in the Nikon D3. All Nikons have Sony sensors. Nikon is going to get a hard time as well, with all the Sony's coming out. They really will have to work on their Lens department. Pentax makes great glass. I have 4 of these lenses. But now they have to keep up with the body's. The K10D is a great camera. But I still do prefer full frame. And I'm afraid that I will have another brand camera, that will slowly die. Look at the great Contax 645. Gone with the wind. Look at Leica. I used that for 16 years. They stuck to long to their film body's.
10-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Not Registered

Sony made a full frame censor, that is now in the Nikon D3. All Nikons have Sony sensors. Nikon is going to get a hard time as well, with all the Sony's coming out. They really will have to work on their Lens department. Pentax makes great glass. I have 4 of these lenses. But now they have to keep up with the body's. The K10D is a great camera. But I still do prefer full frame. And I'm afraid that I will have another brand camera, that will slowly die. Look at the great Contax 645. Gone with the wind. Look at Leica. I used that for 16 years. They stuck to long to their film body's.
I was not 100% sure that D3 sensor was totally Sony. The problem I see for Pentax to adapt to full frame is the lack of full frame lenses in production, this is why I think that you will have to still cropping with pentax. Anyway, I think pentax wont die because of the lack of full frame. Pentax can die if Hoya starts to rise prices to get benefits (which it is what I think that it is going to happen) or if Canon-Sony-Nikon releases a full-frame camera under 2000$. Anyhow, if Pentax dies, other company will use the k-mount, althought who knows...

BTW, good equipment you have, do not hesitate in selling it in the Marketplace if you jump ship
10-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I don't understand the full-frame obsession many people have. Rather than thinking of 31mm as a wide angle, is it that hard to just treat it as a normal lens? Don't even think in terms of "crop-factors" -- it's simply a normal lens in the digital era. I use 35mm, 120, and digital, and all use focal lengths differently. Digital is not film, and treating as such leads nowhere.

When I want to use my 31mm as a wide angle (where it performs beautifully), I simply stick it on a film body and shoot away...
What about the 15mm?? No digital lens getting there or the quality. And I'm afraid that Pentax as a brand, will disappear. Look at Sony going strong. They will come with a full frame soon. Their chip is already in the Nikon D3.
So I could live for a while with K10D. But still the future will be full frame.
10-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I still don't get it. The canon 5D has been out for ages as a so called full frame camera and yet Pentax didn't die and many members of this forum didn't die in the rush to get one.

Now all of a sudden Nikon has a FF camera and the world is going to end if Pentax doesn't follow suit. I have to ask why all of a sudden does everyone need FF?
To Van Dam if you are a professional photog that made money using your *ist D my hat goes off to you - you could have gone down the easier and more sensible canon 1dsMk (whatever) or 5D route. Now if you are a pro and your camera is dead I would suggest you buy another quick smart.

If you are an amateur enthusiast, well then sell all your Pentax gear (look on ebay you will probably be surprised at what it goes for) buy your full frame camera and be content, life is far to short to be worrying about the sensor size that produced a photo.

As for me I will carry on with my *ist DS until it to dies then I will buy what ever Pentax mount offering their is out there.
10-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I was not 100% sure that D3 sensor was totally Sony. The problem I see for Pentax to adapt to full frame is the lack of full frame lenses in production, this is why I think that you will have to still cropping with pentax. Anyway, I think pentax wont die because of the lack of full frame. Pentax can die if Hoya starts to rise prices to get benefits (which it is what I think that it is going to happen) or if Canon-Sony-Nikon releases a full-frame camera under 2000$. Anyhow, if Pentax dies, other company will use the k-mount, althought who knows...

BTW, good equipment you have, do not hesitate in selling it in the Marketplace if you jump ship
Yep it is difficult to know what is going on behind closed doors with these companies. They do not have full frame lenses in production. Well , we have the Zeiss lenses now with the K-mount. But Sony hardly have lenses and they will do in the next future. But ofcourse, that is a rel multi-national.
About my aquipment... Yep stuff enough. I might start to sell something of it. Used to be photgrapher. Now I am a DOP and cameraman. (Movies, commercials, etc)
10-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I still don't get it. The canon 5D has been out for ages as a so called full frame camera and yet Pentax didn't die and many members of this forum didn't die in the rush to get one.

Now all of a sudden Nikon has a FF camera and the world is going to end if Pentax doesn't follow suit. I have to ask why all of a sudden does everyone need FF?
To Van Dam if you are a professional photog that made money using your *ist D my hat goes off to you - you could have gone down the easier and more sensible canon 1dsMk (whatever) or 5D route. Now if you are a pro and your camera is dead I would suggest you buy another quick smart.

If you are an amateur enthusiast, well then sell all your Pentax gear (look on ebay you will probably be surprised at what it goes for) buy your full frame camera and be content, life is far to short to be worrying about the sensor size that produced a photo.

As for me I will carry on with my *ist DS until it to dies then I will buy what ever Pentax mount offering their is out there.

I used to be professional. Now I am in filmmaking etc..
I had the ist D long before the 5D and the most important are the lenses. They are great.
And size does matter....