Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Should I buy this remote?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

i want a remote for my KX. is this the one to buy or a better alternative?

Pentax Remote Control on Amazon

01-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That one will work just fine. The only drawback is that it is so small that it is easily misplaced and lost.

01-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

This one will work also. Don't get all excited with all the buttons, only the upper left S button triggers the camera.

DealExtreme: $3.76 Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta
01-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
This one will work also. Don't get all excited with all the buttons, only the upper left S button triggers the camera.

DealExtreme: $3.76 Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta
Just beware that they can take a very long time to ship. On the order of 4-6 weeks.

01-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is the genuine Pentax so even bulb mode probably works like with the real shutter button. The El-Cheapo (like this) I have only works with first press = start exposure, second press = done.
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
You can stand anywhere within 100 meters. Used on my K10D * K20Ds. Can hold & lock for Bulb too.

Wireless Remote Switch/Shutter Release for Pentax - eBay (item 360200558942 end time Jan-14-11 21:54:19 PST)
The k-x doesn't have the connector to plug this in.
01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Just beware that they can take a very long time to ship. On the order of 4-6 weeks.
I have not experienced this, but I guess it could cause some concern.

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
This is the genuine Pentax so even bulb mode probably works like with the real shutter button. The El-Cheapo (like this) I have only works with first press = start exposure, second press = done.
Mine also needs a press=start and press=stop.

01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I have not experienced this, but I guess it could cause some concern.

Mine also needs a press=start and press=stop.
It's called Timed shooting on older cameras that had both a T and a B setting on the shutters. You can change that behaviour on your K-x cameras. Page 81 in the manual, custom menu 2, #12.

01-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's called Timed shooting on older cameras that had both a T and a B setting on the shutters. You can change that behaviour on your K-x cameras. Page 81 in the manual, custom menu 2, #12.

Yep, but the El-Cheapo apparenty doesn't emit anything when the button is released and so the other option does not work. No big deal as it works the other way (which is more convenient anyway :-).
01-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can choose which for the K7 as well - menu C3, item 17, page 86 in the paper manual, page 88 in the PDF one.
01-02-2011, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
That one will work just fine. The only drawback is that it is so small that it is easily misplaced and lost.

Easy fix for that "problem", just mount a cell phone strap to it. Unscrew the remote, cut some very small gaps in the cover, place the strap and reassemble the remote again.

I did the same with my own remote:

01-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Yep, but the El-Cheapo apparenty doesn't emit anything when the button is released and so the other option does not work. No big deal as it works the other way (which is more convenient anyway :-).
So what you are saying is if the menu is set (on the K-x) for B shooting, that is hold the shutter open as long as the button is pressed, it only just snaps the shutter at some default speed? Or it doesn't close at All (unless the button is pressed again)? There Has to be a start and a stop to the signal or at least I would think so. Even with the Remote F, if the remote is moved out of sensor range (which isn't very large) in B mode shooting, the shutter will close regardless of the button which, is what makes the T type operation so useful.

I don't own a K-x or the cheapo remotes so I'm just asking, not arguing.

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
You can choose which for the K7 as well - menu C3, item 17, page 86 in the paper manual, page 88 in the PDF one.
I think the K7 and the K-x were the first to do this. I know the K20d wouldn't do T type shooting. Then again, the K20d (as well as the DL/200/10/7/5 and probably others) will take a Wired remote, which can be locked to hold the shutter open.

01-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So what you are saying is if the menu is set (on the K-x) for B shooting...
I can't check it in a strict sense since the k-x is on its way to warranty repair. At the time I tried both settings I concluded that "press as long as you want it to be open" does not work with the 1-button El-Cheapo. Come to think of it, an alternative explanation would be that the original emits a signal as long as the button is pressed while the EC doesn't.
01-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I can't check it in a strict sense since the k-x is on its way to warranty repair. At the time I tried both settings I concluded that "press as long as you want it to be open" does not work with the 1-button El-Cheapo. Come to think of it, an alternative explanation would be that the original emits a signal as long as the button is pressed while the EC doesn't.
That would make sense to me. As stated before, it really doesn't matter much as the T type wireless remote shooting is FAR more useful than trying to hold that silly little button, in range of the camera's receiver.

01-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When "B"shooting, first time pressed is shutter open, second time pressed is shutter closed.
If you would have to keep the button pressed as long as you wanted you're "B" shot to last, the danger of loosing connection (moving a bit out of the "line of sight) between you're remote and you're camera would ruin you're shot. I guess that is the reason why Pentax did choose this solution
So even with the al-cheapo remote's shooting "B" isn't a problem

(i own both remote's, Pentax-F and a al-cheapo of DealExtreme. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27842)

Last edited by Sakura; 01-02-2011 at 06:39 AM.