Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member
hockmasm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 354
Should I buy this remote?

i want a remote for my KX. is this the one to buy or a better alternative?

Pentax Remote Control on Amazon

01-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,018
That one will work just fine. The only drawback is that it is so small that it is easily misplaced and lost.

01-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
DanWeso's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 191
This one will work also. Don't get all excited with all the buttons, only the upper left S button triggers the camera.

DealExtreme: $3.76 Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta
01-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
This one will work also. Don't get all excited with all the buttons, only the upper left S button triggers the camera.

DealExtreme: $3.76 Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta
Just beware that they can take a very long time to ship. On the order of 4-6 weeks.

01-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member
jolepp's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
This is the genuine Pentax so even bulb mode probably works like with the real shutter button. The El-Cheapo (like this) I have only works with first press = start exposure, second press = done.
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member
jolepp's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
You can stand anywhere within 100 meters. Used on my K10D * K20Ds. Can hold & lock for Bulb too.

Wireless Remote Switch/Shutter Release for Pentax - eBay (item 360200558942 end time Jan-14-11 21:54:19 PST)
The k-x doesn't have the connector to plug this in.
01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
DanWeso's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 191
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Just beware that they can take a very long time to ship. On the order of 4-6 weeks.
I have not experienced this, but I guess it could cause some concern.


QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
This is the genuine Pentax so even bulb mode probably works like with the real shutter button. The El-Cheapo (like this) I have only works with first press = start exposure, second press = done.
Mine also needs a press=start and press=stop.
01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I have not experienced this, but I guess it could cause some concern.




Mine also needs a press=start and press=stop.
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
This is the genuine Pentax so even bulb mode probably works like with the real shutter button. The El-Cheapo (like this) I have only works with first press = start exposure, second press = done.
It's called Timed shooting on older cameras that had both a T and a B setting on the shutters. You can change that behaviour on your K-x cameras. Page 81 in the manual, custom menu 2, #12.



01-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member
jolepp's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's called Timed shooting on older cameras that had both a T and a B setting on the shutters. You can change that behaviour on your K-x cameras. Page 81 in the manual, custom menu 2, #12.

Yep, but the El-Cheapo apparenty doesn't emit anything when the button is released and so the other option does not work. No big deal as it works the other way (which is more convenient anyway :-).
01-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 834
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's called Timed shooting on older cameras that had both a T and a B setting on the shutters. You can change that behaviour on your K-x cameras. Page 81 in the manual, custom menu 2, #12.

You can choose which for the K7 as well - menu C3, item 17, page 86 in the paper manual, page 88 in the PDF one.
01-02-2011, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 148
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
That one will work just fine. The only drawback is that it is so small that it is easily misplaced and lost.

Easy fix for that "problem", just mount a cell phone strap to it. Unscrew the remote, cut some very small gaps in the cover, place the strap and reassemble the remote again.

I did the same with my own remote:

01-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Yep, but the El-Cheapo apparenty doesn't emit anything when the button is released and so the other option does not work. No big deal as it works the other way (which is more convenient anyway :-).
So what you are saying is if the menu is set (on the K-x) for B shooting, that is hold the shutter open as long as the button is pressed, it only just snaps the shutter at some default speed? Or it doesn't close at All (unless the button is pressed again)? There Has to be a start and a stop to the signal or at least I would think so. Even with the Remote F, if the remote is moved out of sensor range (which isn't very large) in B mode shooting, the shutter will close regardless of the button which, is what makes the T type operation so useful.

I don't own a K-x or the cheapo remotes so I'm just asking, not arguing.

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
You can choose which for the K7 as well - menu C3, item 17, page 86 in the paper manual, page 88 in the PDF one.
I think the K7 and the K-x were the first to do this. I know the K20d wouldn't do T type shooting. Then again, the K20d (as well as the DL/200/10/7/5 and probably others) will take a Wired remote, which can be locked to hold the shutter open.

01-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member
jolepp's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
So what you are saying is if the menu is set (on the K-x) for B shooting...
I can't check it in a strict sense since the k-x is on its way to warranty repair. At the time I tried both settings I concluded that "press as long as you want it to be open" does not work with the 1-button El-Cheapo. Come to think of it, an alternative explanation would be that the original emits a signal as long as the button is pressed while the EC doesn't.
01-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I can't check it in a strict sense since the k-x is on its way to warranty repair. At the time I tried both settings I concluded that "press as long as you want it to be open" does not work with the 1-button El-Cheapo. Come to think of it, an alternative explanation would be that the original emits a signal as long as the button is pressed while the EC doesn't.
That would make sense to me. As stated before, it really doesn't matter much as the T type wireless remote shooting is FAR more useful than trying to hold that silly little button, in range of the camera's receiver.

01-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 148
When "B"shooting, first time pressed is shutter open, second time pressed is shutter closed.
If you would have to keep the button pressed as long as you wanted you're "B" shot to last, the danger of loosing connection (moving a bit out of the "line of sight) between you're remote and you're camera would ruin you're shot. I guess that is the reason why Pentax did choose this solution
So even with the al-cheapo remote's shooting "B" isn't a problem

(i own both remote's, Pentax-F and a al-cheapo of DealExtreme. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27842)


Last edited by Sakura; 01-02-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax SMC FA 50mm/F1,4 to buy or not to buy? Eugene-S Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 12-05-2010 02:04 PM
Should I buy this laptop to speed up my workflow or buy a new lens? crossover37 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 09-24-2010 09:41 AM
Should I be a good Pentax choirboy and buy a DA 15 Limited or buy the Sigma 10-20mm? tokyoso Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 42 03-14-2010 04:54 PM
SIGMA 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM Lens for PENTAX:To buy or not to buy? thelittlecar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 12-31-2009 06:01 AM
LBA help! buy 17-70 or sell the 70-300 and buy 18-250 cardikat Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 12-30-2009 03:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top