Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Small DSLR bodies are not all that advantageous. I guess I've got big hands but the small bodies feel ... small, in my hand. I've got to cramp my fingers to operate everything. The lens is really the issue, isn't it. A small body DSLR does not squeeze into a pocket when there is a big lens stuck on the front. But a K-x with a pancake lens could, I guess but I'd still rather use a good quality P&S for my carry around candid camera.

I use a Panasonic TZ7 - I get wide angle and good videos as well as great pix for less than the price of a wide angle lens for my K-X. My two camera solution works far better for me as a travel package than a two lens solution for my K-X.

01-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Small DSLR bodies are not all that advantageous. I guess I've got big hands but the small bodies feel ... small, in my hand. I've got to cramp my fingers to operate everything. <snip>
When you have small hands like me (well wide and short hands) then the K5/K7 (and the E510) are a good size body. I went down to Edinburgh a year ago to see the E620 (or was it the E650?) and with my 70-300 lens it was a bit too small, as was the E420 I handled when I got the E510.

However - these are all big compared to my ME Super - and that felt perfect! It's not just size or weight, the shape matters as well and since we all have different hands and preferences it's just as well camera bodies vary.
01-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
A55: 124 x 92 x 85mm
K-x: 123 x 92 x 68mm
K-r: 125 x 97 x 68mm
as i've stated, these camera aren't just a rectangular box... I really think the sony A55 is smaller than the K-X and K-R... you have to put it side by side, maybe it's the pertruding view finder that sony styled made it bigger when you measure. but it's a real small camera. trust me on this.
01-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smaller except where it's bigger, eh? It's one reason I'm disinterested in those articulated screens: more stuff between me and the real viewfinder. Barring unforeseen complications or drawbacks, it sounds like graphene glass might actually get to practical production fairly quickly and easily: I think that might just start to translate into thinner camera LCDs, which are currently a constraint it's hard to work around.

It seems the size of the K-5 and Limited glass is one thing the OP's set on: makes perfect sense to me: the K-5's definitely pretty svelte for a full-service DSLR without getting all stripped down and 'mini,' and no one's really in the neighborhood, there.

...'Camera-sized,' I'd say, (which is what I say about my K20d, and that's about as big as Pentax has ever gotten: with the grip on there, this fellow's almost exactly the same size as my F-1N and winder for purposes of spaces the camera fits in. The K-5's trimmed down from there, but has a rounder grip: I don't think anyone's got a complaint about the size and ergonomics. Before this chassis came out, what the Pentax people were saying we wanted was 'Digital LX!' They seem to have come out with something pretty analagous, so it's hard to make a case for 'unhappy' there. )

I don't mind camera bodies being on the bigger side, myself, right up to the point of 'too much for me,' it's usually the lenses that become a size concern. For me, certainly, the Limiteds and various other smaller glass solve that problem easy enough, so if the OP sees what he likes and can have it, there you go.

Sony seems to have had a lot of neat ideas that one might miss, don't know how well they have really put em together. I really might have considered that a900 if I were anywhere near the price range, myself: I saw that and I was like, "Aha, finally someone bodged an old-school viewfinder onto one of these digital things!" )

01-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes it's really the glass that interests me. I wasn't totally sold on the pentax bodies except for their compact size ever since the ist*d with its prism finder. And now the K5 seems to complete the picture. It's like a smaller Sony a700 with video. For me it's travel and hiking not small hands that push me to a compact system. I got all my gear used and deals so resale isnt a concern. Thanks for all your perspectives. The a55 suggestion is also a good one though no da limiteds! Hmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Smaller except where it's bigger, eh? It's one reason I'm disinterested in those articulated screens: more stuff between me and the real viewfinder. Barring unforeseen complications or drawbacks, it sounds like graphene glass might actually get to practical production fairly quickly and easily: I think that might just start to translate into thinner camera LCDs, which are currently a constraint it's hard to work around.

It seems the size of the K-5 and Limited glass is one thing the OP's set on: makes perfect sense to me: the K-5's definitely pretty svelte for a full-service DSLR without getting all stripped down and 'mini,' and no one's really in the neighborhood, there.

...'Camera-sized,' I'd say, (which is what I say about my K20d, and that's about as big as Pentax has ever gotten: with the grip on there, this fellow's almost exactly the same size as my F-1N and winder for purposes of spaces the camera fits in. The K-5's trimmed down from there, but has a rounder grip: I don't think anyone's got a complaint about the size and ergonomics. Before this chassis came out, what the Pentax people were saying we wanted was 'Digital LX!' They seem to have come out with something pretty analagous, so it's hard to make a case for 'unhappy' there. )

I don't mind camera bodies being on the bigger side, myself, right up to the point of 'too much for me,' it's usually the lenses that become a size concern. For me, certainly, the Limiteds and various other smaller glass solve that problem easy enough, so if the OP sees what he likes and can have it, there you go.

Sony seems to have had a lot of neat ideas that one might miss, don't know how well they have really put em together. I really might have considered that a900 if I were anywhere near the price range, myself: I saw that and I was like, "Aha, finally someone bodged an old-school viewfinder onto one of these digital things!" )
01-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
Forum Member

Interestingly enough, I made the move from Pentax to Sony this year (K-x all the way to the a900!)

To me, in the Canonikon world, Sony and Pentax seem to have the most similar ideology. Keeping the ergonomics great and in-body stabilization. I think you won't be disappointed with a move to Pentax, except that you may miss the benefits of FF.
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I got a K20D as it seemed the best value as a replacement for my Minolta Maxxum 7D that I wished to place in semi-retirement. Having pleasantly used a MZ-5 many times (before the AF drive died), I had no hesitation with selecting a Pentax again if it appeared to be the best option.
01-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, new sony dslr (A33/A55 DSLT, A580) those are great camera. I'm glad that k-r and k-x are cheaper than those sony models. If k-r and k-x aren't cheaper than that, I have no doubt that pentax might be screwed.

anyway, really glad that i got k-r, so far I love it!!

01-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shimoyjk Quote
BTW, new sony dslr (A33/A55 DSLT, A580) those are great camera. I'm glad that k-r and k-x are cheaper than those sony models. If k-r and k-x aren't cheaper than that, I have no doubt that pentax might be screwed.

anyway, really glad that i got k-r, so far I love it!!
sony camera tend to dip in price (they have alot of models)... the pentax hold their price much better.

and the K-R isn't that much cheaper than an A33 (600 for the body)... K-R is around 500 i think for the body only.
01-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #25

My first SLR (2003) was a Minolta Dynax 4 bundled with 2 zooms from sigma. Then I went digital with the Samsung GX-20 (K-20D's identical twin) in 2008. I wanted a camera with build-in antishake, chose pentax/samsung over sony for the former's better sensitivity and samsung was cheaper than pentax.
I have only good memories from using that minolta, maybe except for all that film frame counting. One vacation could produce 10 rolls or so, which was a substantial cost to me then so I had to be quite careful when shooting. Even though the system was quite cheap, with unimpressive lenses, it produced tons of really good prints. They still decorate my walls today.
Today I can shot a hundred pictures a week at any time. And guess what - I still didn't come around to selecting any for actual printing.