Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Mr_Canuck

Anyone gone from Sony to Pentax?

I'm in the process of selling off my full-frame Sony DSLR system as I want to go smaller with everything and the K5 plus pancake limiteds and the 18-135 as a walk-around really appeal to me.

Anyone else done this switcheroo and have any comments? What to you gain? What do you miss most?

01-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

sony uses the same sensor as the pentax in the APS-C sensor (A580/A55 = K5).

Also moving from a FF to a crop sensor, you'll never get as wide (really it's 1.5X, doesn't seem like alot but it's alot). I'm not sure if pentax makes FF (I'm pretty sure not ATM).

um if u want something small, try the A55. that thing is smaller than anything pentax has to offer and you get to keep all your lens. (but they don't have anything in the 18-135 like pentax).

The K-5 is what people on here are after.... it's the newest and latest from pentax, but small it's not.

The K-R is the next in line, but if you're grabbing a K-R you might as well grab an A55... similar price point, you already have sony lens, you get the flip out LCD, CAF for movie ect...

again all these are crop sensor, not sure if you want to move from FF to crop sensor, the wide angle is something you might never get back (unless you use sony's panarama mode).

at the same time, DSLR will never get much smaller, the body might get smaller but the lens still stick out like no tomorrow.
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K-5 is alot smaller than other comparable dslr's and it is smaller and lighter than a FF package form most manufacturer's unless you look at Leica. True the K-5 is a crop sensor so going wide is a problem. There are excellent wide angle lenses that Pentax makes such as the DA 14 f/2.8, the DA Ltd. 15 f/4, the DA 12-24 f/4 are all excellent. Now the K-5 and the K-7 are identical in external size and weight. If you have picked up a k-7 you'll know it's alot smaller than a 5D mkII. I don't have any experience with the the Sony A900, but I have seen it and it does look a little big. I hope that helps!
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote

again all these are crop sensor, not sure if you want to move from FF to crop sensor, the wide angle is something you might never get back (unless you use sony's panarama mode).
He can allways buy Sigma 8-16mm and have a same wide angle as on FF or even wider.
I have Sigma 10-20mm (15mm in terms of FOV) and that is a very wide lens. My belief is that for average users, that don't shoot too much interiors, 15mm Lmtd is wide enough.

01-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also moving from a FF to a crop sensor, you'll never get as wide (really it's 1.5X, doesn't seem like alot but it's alot). I'm not sure if pentax makes FF (I'm pretty sure not ATM).

um if u want something small, try the A55. that thing is smaller than anything pentax has to offer and you get to keep all your lens. (but they don't have anything in the 18-135 like pentax).

The K-5 is what people on here are after.... it's the newest and latest from pentax, but small it's not.

The K-R is the next in line, but if you're grabbing a K-R you might as well grab an A55... similar price point, you already have sony lens, you get the flip out LCD, CAF for movie ect...

at the same time, DSLR will never get much smaller, the body might get smaller but the lens still stick out like no tomorrow.
Well, if it is the same sensor has been debated since Pentax manage to get so much more out of it.

Wide isn't a problem. Pentax has excellent wide angel options developed for APS-C. DA10-17 fish eye, DA14/2.8, DA15/4 ltd, DA21/3.2 ltd, DA12-24 and many 3rd party options, like the Sigma 20/1.8. Only drawback is that if you have old legacy wide angle lenses, they are not as wide as they used to be.

K7, K5 are as small as you can build a real DSLR. If you like the OP goes from a FF Sony, the K5 is certainly realy small.

And that is what the OP says, he wants to go smaller. Hard to do that while staying with FF unless you can pay for a Leica.
01-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Also moving from a FF to a crop sensor, you'll never get as wide (really it's 1.5X, doesn't seem like alot but it's alot)
same equivalent FLs as FF are available on APS-C

The K-5 is what people on here are after.... it's the newest and latest from pentax, but small it's not
if you compare it to other cameras in it's class it doesn't get any smaller, not even from Oly, definitely much smaler than A900/A850 but the OP surely knows that already

good luck Mr_Canuck
01-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
I'm in the process of selling off my full-frame Sony DSLR system as I want to go smaller with everything and the K5 plus pancake limiteds and the 18-135 as a walk-around really appeal to me.

Anyone else done this switcheroo and have any comments? What to you gain? What do you miss most?
I went from Minolta to Pentax (minolta made the alpha before sony bought it)

I do miss some of the Minolta glass (500mm AF Cat, the "beercan")

But I've found that there are good lenses here also.

I do miss how my 7D held both batteries in the grip.

01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5 is pretty small compared to the full frame bodies that are out there, particularly when you compare the size of the lenses. The thing about the current Sony offerings is that they have compromised the ability to do great still photography in order to improve their video. This is OK if you are more interested in video, but definitely it makes still photography not quite as good.

To me, the K5 body is perfect size and build. Put a limited on if you want something very small and compact. Add the grip and a DA * lens if you want a little bigger package, but either way, it offers something that Sony doesn't.
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I came from the A200 and lots of nice lenses - the A200 size was ideal, A700 too big; the K-7 (and K-5) is A200 size with A700 features. Not to mention $750 at the time!

I was sure that Sony would do like every other single camera company on the planet, stick higher-end tech from proven models into lower-spec (and smaller) cameras - but no, they had to reinvent their base models every year from scratch, abandon the 7-series and reinvent the whole ergonomic set that was the most promising part of the A700-900.
So I left.

I've found the Pentax SR slightly less effective than SSS, sad to say. In every other respect I'm very pleased with the results. I really like the post-shot WB or picture-mode adjustment, and working with PK-A lenses is great fun. Sure I'd prefer a K-5 for high ISO and faster performance, but K-7 noise is similar to what I had with the A200 and it can be PP'd for better results. And I had $750 but not $1500 available; I have to grab what I can & enjoy it!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 01-01-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: it's better now
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
He can allways buy Sigma 8-16mm and have a same wide angle as on FF or even wider.
I have Sigma 10-20mm (15mm in terms of FOV) and that is a very wide lens. My belief is that for average users, that don't shoot too much interiors, 15mm Lmtd is wide enough.
I feel that while we're talking about lens, then we might as well talk about lens from pentax (that sony don't have). like the 18-135... because other wise it'd make so much more sense to him to move to an A55, keep using all his lens and buy the sigma...

Again some of the comparison is just isn't fair "the K-5 is smaller than all the FF", doesn't that apply to most current APS-C camera? the A55 is smaller than almost all DSLR on the market (noticably smaller).

Just IMO I don't see a point of him moving system... but if he does then good for him, i can buy his gear for cheap lol.
01-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

the A55 is smaller than almost all DSLR on the market (noticably smaller).
K-r is smaller than A55, K-x is even smaller

all of these bodies are of a lower class than the K-5 which the OP is interested in
01-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
K-r is smaller than A55, K-x is even smaller

all of these bodies are of a lower class than the K-5 which the OP is interested in
I don't know why, but i saw both of them side by side, the sony A55 is smaller, but measurement wise the k-r is smaller (I actually took a picture of them side by side with my phone but i lost the dam phone).

The K-5 is a higher class for sure, but the question is if it's wise to sell away a whole system for a parallel move? let's face it, moving from sony to pentax isn't an upgrade, both system got it's pros and cons. To be selling a whole system VS selling the body and grab a different body is a totally different level.

But if cash is not an object, then the OP can just sell the sony system and move to pentax. For me i wouldn't do it, loosing way too much money.
01-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dimensions

A55: 124 x 92 x 85mm
K-x: 123 x 92 x 68mm
K-r: 125 x 97 x 68mm
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Umm its reasonably small... not much larger than my old K-x... surprised me how small it is actually :P
01-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #15

Small DSLR bodies are not all that advantageous. I guess I've got big hands but the small bodies feel ... small, in my hand. I've got to cramp my fingers to operate everything. The lens is really the issue, isn't it. A small body DSLR does not squeeze into a pocket when there is a big lens stuck on the front. But a K-x with a pancake lens could, I guess but I'd still rather use a good quality P&S for my carry around candid camera.

I use a Panasonic TZ7 - I get wide angle and good videos as well as great pix for less than the price of a wide angle lens for my K-X. My two camera solution works far better for me as a travel package than a two lens solution for my K-X.