Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I Am Begging For Your Forgiveness

Proud and happy owner of a Red Kx for nearly a year, someone offered me way too much money for it...so I took it.
I was seduced by all the hype, reviews and PR for the 550D/T2i. How can 18 mp look so bad in all ranges, modes and configurations?
Three weeks and it is on eBay and closes 1/2. My seller name is chefpetey.
Anyway, the t2i is an overpriced, user-antagonistic bundle of annoyances!
Will y'all ever forgive me? Looking for a Kx again. Has anyone seen the ORANGE version in person?

01-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You live and you learn. If someone offered me "too much" money I would sell my Kx in a heart beat but I would buy another Kx soon after, maybe a K7. I am surprised to hear that the T2i didn't live up to your expectations because from the reviews I read and the research I did (it was one of my options when buying a DSLR) I thought it was going to be a very nice camera with great IQ. But in any case I accept you apology, just don't let it happen again, haha.

**I have seen an orange Kx in real life and it is very orange. It is the exact orange the San Francisco Giants use (if you know what that looks like).
01-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the cash & was ready to go Canon.. But.

All I could do was thing about the T2i. All I saw was the hype, plus I read great reviews. However, I also read the bad ones as well. However, I still wanted one. I took my money to buy one and could not believe it when I held it in my hands. It was like a toy and felt cheap. $850 + tax? No way. Then I read about Pentax. A refub K20D $500. I love it. It has made me want to go Pentax all the way. Except for the greedy price increase of lenses. (Which I'm not buying until the price goes down)
01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having unilaterally invested myself with the appropriate authority for this occasion, I do now and hereby grant you forgiveness. Go now, buy a Pentax and be happy.

01-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Buy the refurbed K20D -- it will serve you well for a long time.
Forget about high-cost lenses -- many good used ones appear on eBay, at KEH, etc.
And I'm not talking just about MFL's (manual focus lenses), which are great.
Some of my recent AF scores:

SMC-F 35-70/3.5-4.5, ELEVEN BUCKS shipped (it was on a SF-1 body that I sold for a profit)
Tamron AF AL 28-200/3.8-5.6, fifty bucks shipped (it's like the uncle of my costlier DA18-250)
Promaster (Tamron) 28-703.5-4.5, TEN BUCKS shipped (a little wider than the F35-70)

A bit of deft searching will turn up decent AF Promaster (Tamron) and Quantaray (Sigma) and Pentax F and FA lenses at reasonable prices, if you *really* need AF. Otherwise, look for Sears and Focal and Vivitar manual primes, and Takumars of course. A twenty-buck ST 55/2 will blow away any any zoom you could ever afford.

Oh yeah, forgiveness. Sure, why not. Now go shoot something.
01-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose anyone choosing to repent and mend one's evil ways is welcome back to the flock O:-)
01-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the grass is greenest here, I've visited the other fields too.

01-02-2011, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
No other manufacturer

And no other manufacturer has guys like you! THANKS and I am back to stay. You mention REFURBS...who sells them?
A couple of things on T2i that immediately made me crazy:
1. Lens release on left-hand side...perhaps the only thing in the world that is worse than overcooked pasta. 2. Can't turn off LCD. Sensors above LCD detect when your face is against the camera and then it shuts off. So eyes need time to readjust again. I shoot a lot in the dark and the sensor gets confused when in the dark. One night in the middle of the woods I musta looked like a strobe light. 3. Advertised as an INTERVALOMETER...it isn't. Just a self-timer followed by whatever number of shots you want...no way to program an interval between shots...pointless. 4. Focus rings are an afterthought...lots of fingers touching the optics. 5. $178 for the right to use AA batteries. 6. No creative filters 7. Can't shoot black and white (must convert in computer) 8. NO IN-CAMERA processing at all. 9. Flat and Flush function buttons that become totally useless in cold weather 10. Changing aperture is a two-button and two hand operation...
And all this is BEFORE we discuss the frighteningly lousy images!
Happy New Year to All. THANKS for taking me back!
01-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #9

I've been tempted by the fleshpots of Canikolyson but find that my used K10d does most things that I want at a price I was prepared to pay. Welcome back to the true path, brother !
01-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.”
what else to say?
I just had an opportunity to play with Nikon D3000 and Canon 400D for two days, and the pics were looking fine on the backscreen, but....the menus, button layout and logic of their operation and size and weight...I am very happy with my K-x
not to mention the lack of bracketing in D3000, and rather humble flash options with both cameras

Last edited by stanic; 01-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Unless you're doing really large prints or do heavy cropping of your images on a regular basis, there's a point of diminishing return where the difference between 12MP and 18MP just isn't needed.

I would like a K-5 one day, but the higher resolution isn't one of the reasons why.
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Unless you're doing really large prints or do heavy cropping of your images on a regular basis, there's a point of diminishing return where the difference between 12MP and 18MP just isn't needed.
When I got my K20D just 2.7 years ago, the 14.6mpx sensor was a decision point vs the not-so-different 10-12mpx models, as a matter of PREVENTION -- to prevent me from being lured by more megapickles in the near future, to immunize myself against the I.GOTTA.UPGRADE meme. It's worked so far. But when PenHoya announces a 25mpx FF MILC in PK mount, I shall be sorely tempted...
01-02-2011, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chefpete1 Quote
Proud and happy owner of a Red Kx for nearly a year, someone offered me way too much money for it...so I took it.
I was seduced by all the hype, reviews and PR for the 550D/T2i. How can 18 mp look so bad in all ranges, modes and configurations?
Three weeks and it is on eBay and closes 1/2. My seller name is chefpetey.
Anyway, the t2i is an overpriced, user-antagonistic bundle of annoyances!
Will y'all ever forgive me? Looking for a Kx again. Has anyone seen the ORANGE version in person?
Having visited the dark side you now know that the grass is always greener on the other side until such time as you cross the fence.

You are forgiven. For penance you are required to purchase 1 Pentax KR (RED), one Pentax short zoom and one Pentax mid range zoom.
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
Closed Account

Hey Pete, welcome back to the Dark Side - or the Light Side depending on one's perspective.
01-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Hey Pete, welcome back to the Dark Side - or the Light Side depending on one's perspective.
Let's call it the red side.