Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Thinking of getting a k100d or a k110d

After years of dealing with 'em I'm finaly got fed up with "prosumer" range camera's. So I started looking for a nice used Canon 350d. However, in doing some homework I came across the k100d/k110d line that with only a few minor exceptions sounds like it might suit me better than the canon. I don't take a lot of sports photo's so I'm not too concerned with the AF speed. More concerned with the accuracy of the AF. Were there any cronic problems that I should be aware of when shopping. I noticed with the 350d's on ebay that there were a few recurring problems that knocked out a lot of them. Is the anti shake feature of the k100d an important upgrade over the k110d. I do like to take photo's when I'm on my sailboat but blurryness hasn't been a problem so far.

01-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would look for a K200d if you like to use a camera on the sailboat. It's weather sealed (if you put a weather sealed lens on it then it will be completely sealed). All of the cameras since the K10d/k100d have antishake and in my opinion it's a worthy option to have. The 100 and the 110 were introduced at the same time. Why they did that, I'll never know. The K10d is also worth looking into. I think both cameras can be had if you look around for $300 or less (I just sold my K10d with a kit lens for that).

01-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryphon Quote
After years of dealing with 'em I'm finaly got fed up with "prosumer" range camera's. So I started looking for a nice used Canon 350d. However, in doing some homework I came across the k100d/k110d line that with only a few minor exceptions sounds like it might suit me better than the canon. I don't take a lot of sports photo's so I'm not too concerned with the AF speed. More concerned with the accuracy of the AF. Were there any cronic problems that I should be aware of when shopping. I noticed with the 350d's on ebay that there were a few recurring problems that knocked out a lot of them. Is the anti shake feature of the k100d an important upgrade over the k110d. I do like to take photo's when I'm on my sailboat but blurryness hasn't been a problem so far.
my wife has the k100d and she loves it. I would pay the extra for the k100 over the k110 as the 100 have shake reduction and the 110 doesn't

randy
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the K100d Super and enjoy it a lot. It has provided me a number of really nice photos. I have even used it for outdoor sports, and there have been really only a few times that the fps was insufficient for my wants. I second the notion that you really do want the shake reduction capability - I believe it does get me 2-3 stops of performance, which is a big deal, IMHO. Also, when I bought (April 2009), I wanted the "Super" variant due to potential for SDM lens compatibility and it works great with my DA 17-70. I have not checked recently, but I believe the market prices for the k100d and the k100d Super are not greatly different. I have not read of many users having issues with the k100d line, and I have not had any problems with my camera. I consider the size, features, and MP (only 6) to be ADVANTAGES, but you will of course know that with these cameras you are getting 2006/2007 vintage technology. Still capable of great photos, but newer models are improved (and costlier).

I also agree with JeffJS about seeking a k200d (or similar weather sealed camera) if you will be sailing with the camera - the extra weather sealing might be a very useful feature for you and the k100d line does not have weather sealing. Even though I'm not a sailor or inclement weather shooter, I have noted several times that I would like weather sealing, so that is a feature that even I would benefit from.

Best wishes for your choices. My $0.02 worth.

Thanks.

Glenn

01-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

As a owner of a K200D, I would say to look for one and get the DA 18-55 WR lens. This would give you a fully weather-sealed camera and lens kit. You can get the lens new at B&H Photo at a reasonable price.

Rick
01-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The biggest operational downside of the K100D is the loud shutter. It is a decent-performing camera, but a little behind at 6MP (which helps high ISO somewhat) and no speed demon.
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The biggest operational downside of the K100D is the loud shutter. It is a decent-performing camera, but a little behind at 6MP (which helps high ISO somewhat) and no speed demon.
yep, any of the camera about 2 years ago (2008) is no speed demon lol. but as someone suggested the k20d wr is a pretty good buy right now VS the older models.

01-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Having had the 350D/110D and 200D

Well I am old school and went from my Nikon F2A 35mm to a digital 350D when Nikon could not mount my Nippon 85mm to a DSLR without a bank loan. I had my 350D simply for the cost at the time and I was getting my feet wet in digital. I found the 350 bulky and no matter what I tried the focus was never tack sharp. Having used Pentax as student before I went Pro I started to investigate. I bought a K110D at a bargain at a local electonics store that said they would beat any price (they don't sell Pentax anymore and when I left that day I know they lost any profit) I knew the 110 did not have shake reduction but I also knew that the gained 2.5 stops I would hand hold on the other end or my mentors would cuff me to the side of the head). The 110 is a great little camera and surpassed the 350 instantly with some 80's zooms and mid 60's primes. But I agree with the others that the weather sealing should be important to you in the moisture you will see. I used my 110 and 200 in -20 for winter shooting but would only consider my 200 for wet weather. Both camera's accuracy was better than the 350 I had. If you can spring for it though I think the new K-R would have the best in low light and weather sealing for your application and the benifit of movie mode so there is less to store on board for movie making. Just so that you know I have about 13,000 actuations on that little 110D and other than a pixel remap required it has been a great investment and now a back up camera.

Todd
01-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Still love my K100D. You may want to read my review for some pros and cons and maybe also the “Tips and Tricks” article for the K100D.

I'd definitely try to get shake reduction. If you want to be able to use one of the (still quite rare) SDM only lenses, get the K100D super. The K100D cannot AF with SDM only lenses.

I'm happy with the K100D's AF accuracy and you can fine tune the AF system by using the service menu.
01-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
... If you can spring for it though I think the new K-R would have the best in low light and weather sealing for your application and the benifit of movie mode so there is less to store on board for movie making....
Todd
The K-r is NOT weather sealed.
01-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Mr/Ms gryphon stated only an interest in taking photos, didn't care about AF speed, has an interest in sailing, and doesn't want to spend a fortune (if started with a second generation digital Rebel during this hunt, ie *istDS generation). Which is why I suggested the K200d.

01-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Thank you Steve I did err, the K-r is not weather sealed (Sorry I have been thinking too much about the k-5 lately).
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I want to thank all of you for your replies. Happy to notice there were no dire warnings about recurrant problems. As I mentioned before, this was something I noticed in 350d listings and those problems were enough to cause the camera's to stop functioning. Unfortunately, some of the recommended camera's are just out of my price range. Right now, $200 is the difference between buying or not buying. I did see a couple of the k10d's listed in my range so maybe I'll keep an eye on them. I don't mind spending a little over my limit as long as it comes with increased tangible benefits.
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For $200 you may even be able to find a second/third-hand K10D or K200D, which are better options than the K100D for your purposes. But a K100D would do fine - just be weary of water splashing around you while you shoot.
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K100 that I picked up to get back into photography with a number of years ago. I still have it and like it a lot. It is a bit slow compared to the current bodies. All of the posts have hit just about everything - other than AF. The AF is accurate when it locks. In order to lock, it needs some contrast within the frame, otherwise it hunts. Its not a big deal, all you need to do is to recognize this and switch to manual focus, focus and then take the picture. Anti shake works very well, especially in low light, and on longer focal lengths.