Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
time delay of Pentax dslr - anyone know?

Friend wants a Lightning trigger. Their website recommends a certain time delay for it to work. A few pentax dslr are listed, but not available is in the time chart. Does anyone know what the delay time is using the cs205 release? If not will call Pentax tech to see what they say.
thanks
barondla

10-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

I don't know if the cable release can change this in any way, but on the K10D you have the following time-delay selections:

12s w/ shutter button
3s & MLU w/ shutter button
3s & MLU w/remote

!c
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the OP means the time delay between the actual shutter trigger and shutter release. He's photographing lightning and I suspect the shorter the delay the better. I guess the lightning trigger is some sort of photovoltaic trigger. It senses light and triggers the shutter.
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I think the OP means the time delay between the actual shutter trigger and shutter release. He's photographing lightning and I suspect the shorter the delay the better. I guess the lightning trigger is some sort of photovoltaic trigger. It senses light and triggers the shutter.
(NOTE: this initial section was written before I found the Lightning trigger site -
although I was WRONG about being able to capture lightning with a fast acting trigger - the old traditional method of using the B(ulb) setting is well tried and reliable - and doesn't require buying anything extra - the EDIT to ADD section was added later with both references to the lightning trigger and data about the shutter lag tested by Imaging-Resource for both the K100D and K10D)

I thought most lightning photography was done by using the B(ulb) setting on the shutter - leaving the shutter open and waiting for lightning.

I didn't think it was possible to catch lightning with a camera - ie: tripping the shutter when one see it - even using a very fast auto-release - I think may be too late.

Most dSLRs have a shutter lag/delay of about 0.1sec when used with pre-focus (the K100D has been measured at 0.149 sec) this is too late - that's why lightning is called "lightning".

Here are some articles on the web that may help -

Photography techniques: How to photograph lightning

How to Take Lightning Pictures

Tips on Lightning Photography

EDIT to ADD - self-correction

Doing more web research I came across this - so a lightning trigger does seem to work.

Capture the Lightning Landscape with the Lightning Trigger!

and a favorable review -

Lightning Trigger

So to answer the original question - the two current Pentax dSLR shutter delays -

Pentax K100D Digital Camera Perform - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

Shutter response (Lag Time):
Full Autofocus
0.182 second
Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture
Prefocused
0.149 second
Time to capture, after half-pressing and holding shutter button.
Continuous AF
0.148 second
This mode usually shows no speed increase with our static subject; we have no way to measure performance with moving subjects
Manual focus
0.150 second
For most cameras, shutter lag is less in manual focus than autofocus, but usually not as fast as when the camera is "prefocused"

Pentax K10D Digital Camera Perform - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

Shutter response (Lag Time):
Full Autofocus
0.254 second
Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture
Prefocused
0.107 second
Time to capture, after half-pressing and holding shutter button.
Continuous AF
0.183 second
This mode usually shows no speed increase with our static subject; we have no way to measure performance with moving subjects
Manual focus
0.181 second
For most cameras, shutter lag is less in manual focus than autofocus, but usually not as fast as when the camera is "prefocused"

Although the K10D has a faster shutter response on pre-focus than the K100D -
the likely scenario is that the camera is set on Manual focus -
in which case the K100D is slightly faster......

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-03-2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: self-correction
10-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

UnknowVT, You should edit your post. It's contradictory.

You say you don't think the method I described is possible yet you provide a link to the very device that does what I said. Which, by the way, is the very device the OP is also talking about. "Lightning Trigger"

Go to lightningtrigger.com and then look at the 'Trigger Gallery'.. Proof the device works.

Last edited by Tom M; 10-03-2007 at 07:30 AM.
10-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
UnknowVT, You should edit your post. It's contradictory.

You say you don't think the method I described is possible yet you provide a link to the very device that does what I said. Which, by the way, is the very device the OP is also talking about. "Lightning Trigger"

Go to lightningtrigger.com and then look at the 'Trigger Gallery'.. Proof the device works.
Yes, that's why I put the lightning trigger in the "EDIT to ADD" - to correct myself -
ie: initially I thought it was not possible, as normally human reaction time is too slow.

The lightning trigger does seem to work -
that's why I also included the review.

However the old traditional way to capture lightning by using the B(ulb) setting is a tried and proven way as well.

But I didn't want to edit the post to lose my initial reaction -
since some would have already read it.

However, now that you've responded - I'll now edit my post to try to make it a bit clearer.

Thanks

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-03-2007 at 09:12 AM.
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the times. Will see if this works with the lightning trigger. Bulb does work very well - at night! Trigger allows shooting lightning in daytime! When friend brought this up I wasn't too interested. Now I am. May split the cost with him. There is always something neat to do in photography.
Amazed that prefocusing is faster than manual focusing. Wonder if prefocusing is even possible with lightning? Seems it would be very difficult.
thanks
barondla
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Amazed that prefocusing is faster than manual focusing. Wonder if prefocusing is even possible with lightning? Seems it would be very difficult.
One would not be attempting to pre-focus on the lightning - but something that's at a (similar) distance - and holding that focus (half-depression on the shutter button), then tripping it when the moment was right. Pre-focus would not be possible when using a cable or remote release (as I don't think one could half depress and hold the shutter with those).

The reason I think pre-focus is faster than manual focus - may be because all the other setting on the camera (like exposure) are also (pre-)set when half-depressing on the shutter button - whereas when the lens is manually focussed - nothing else is (pre-)set and when the shutter is tripped all those other setting have to be measured and set.

In the case of the 6Mp K100D this is probably moot as the difference measured by Imaging-Resource.com was only 0.001 sec (that's 1/1,000 sec) probably easily within margin of error.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-04-2007 at 09:49 AM.
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wonder if camera would be even faster if the exposure was set properly in manual? Then camera shouldn't have to figure out anything. Would not be hard to do with landscapes.
thanks
barondla
10-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I believe the ”long” delay is due to the SR system. Even if not activated the sensor position has to stabilize before the shutter opens.
10-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to get a photograph of lightning, I thnk you first need to understand what you are photographing.

check out the following link for a simple description.

Lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe the lightning trigger goes on the first high intensity flash, and you then capture any return strokes and restrikes that occur.

Set the camera for a long exposure (2-4 seconds) and small apature.

Experiment with the latter to get the best overall exposure you want.
10-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pre-focusing = infinity focus.

If you have to focus your camera closer because the lightning is closer than infinity, you're probably gonna lose your gear anyway so getting the shot in focus is a moot point.
10-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But, prefocus isn't the same as manual focus. Guessing that prefocusing camera also goes thru the "shooting checklist" in the computer and manual doesn't.
thanks
barondla