Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick K10D tip - SR use and a tripod

You can find this in the manual but many posts are devoted to this on the net and apparently most people get it wrong..

There is no need to turn off SR when shooting on a tripod IF you are using the mirror-up function, which only makes sense anyway.

When you switch the K10D to the 2sec delay/mirror-lock setting the camera will automatically turn off SR for that shot only. It will keep SR off until you change from the 2sec delay setting.

That's all.

10-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
You can find this in the manual but many posts are devoted to this on the net and apparently most people get it wrong..

There is no need to turn off SR when shooting on a tripod IF you are using the mirror-up function, which only makes sense anyway.

When you switch the K10D to the 2sec delay/mirror-lock setting the camera will automatically turn off SR for that shot only. It will keep SR off until you change from the 2sec delay setting.

That's all.
Very true.

SR also switches off automatically (p68 of the manual) when using the self-timer, remote control, bulb shooting or wirelessly with an external flash.

It's a bit of a mystery to me why in the preceding paragraph, it says "be sure to turn off SR when using the camera with a tripod".
10-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

No Mystery. Not everyone uses the functions you mention when shooting with a tripod.

Rusty
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
10-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusty Quote
No Mystery. Not everyone uses the functions you mention when shooting with a tripod.
No, I appreciate this.

I'm just curious as to what it is about the very small amount of shake inevitably introduced when using the shutter release button with the camera on the tripod that makes them say "be sure to switch it off".

10-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

From what I've read elsewhere, If there is no shake (as when using a tripod) the SR goes looking for it and in the process creates its own shake.

Rusty
10-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got to be honest here. I've taken more shots in which I would have turned the SR off only to find the images very sharp regardless when I forgot to.

I have a great tripod setup though, at least I think so. I have the Bogen Manfrotto 3251 studio tripod and the Bogen Manfrotto 3047 tilt/pan head. I still get shake! And this is one hell of a setup.

I believe what Pentax is trying to tell us is simply that, if you have the camera on a tripod and the shutter will be open longer than it takes for the shake to stop (typically 1/2sec to 1sec) and you did not use the mirror-lock/2sec delay, self timer, remote control, bulb mode or wireless flash, THEN you need to turn off SR.

For me, the moment the camera goes on a tripod I put it on 2sec delay, so, I'll never have an issue.

Last edited by Tom M; 10-03-2007 at 06:48 AM.
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Syb
Veteran Member

mirror up bang

Interesting, but I'm not satisfied yet.

"Mirror up" creates a bang (shooting extreme tele). Will this shake be totally gone after two seconds? I really wonder. Or it may be my far-too-cheap tripod...

Is there a mirror lock-up- function that allows (with a cord remote) to wait for the ideal shot with the mirror up?

Among others, Mamiya has such a thing on their RB67. So it wouldn't be a new thing...