Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Why do you need a new camera?
I don't.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm not in a financial position to do that right now. I do tend to work with what I have for a long time.
Agreed. What's more, I've learned about the hidden environmental & energy costs of consumer electronics construction and am deeply opposed to consume-and-dispose when it comes to these items. It's really pretty obscene...

Low-tech Magazine: The monster footprint of digital technology

(But when my film rangefinder packs it in I'll get a digital replacement.)

Have you worn out the old one?
I've worn out a few. I've got two Minolta XD's that have seen 1-3 rolls per week since '03 and '08 respectively and both are ageing. I had help, though: both were bought used. I'll go quite some distance to get a camera repaired before I'll replace it .. as long as it's a film camera (incurring relatively low cost fixes).

01-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
...am deeply opposed to consume-and-dispose when it comes to these items. It's really pretty obscene...

So... Any problem with buying used?

Cheers... M
01-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #33
1,000,000th Poster!

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Dropped my K10D and now all images are recorded upside down which isn't a big deal but a nuisance.
For some reason this was very amusing to me. I feel your pain. Or it's more like an annoying itch. I had a friend that borrowed my camera and had an injury to the right hand. He found it more stable to switch the camera over and push the shutter with his left pinky finger. He looked like a complete fool all night though.

He was right! His upside-down pictures were better!

To answer OP's question, I have a K-x and while I am happy with it, I am also looking to get a WR camera...but probably a K10d (it's all I will be able to afford) because winters here are harsh and I hate avoiding the outside world because I'm worried for my K-x.
01-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

My favourite questions for gear freaks are - Why do you need a new camera? Have you worn out the old one?
Answer is simple, more resolution means larger prints and more headroom for cropping. Some people are asked for about 50x60cm prints you know.

01-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
So... Any problem with buying used?

Cheers... M
I just want to cut down on the number of electronic widgets I cause to be created. Ever counted how many mobile phones you've owned? I'm up around ten already and barely use the things when I carry them. It's probably closer to twenty if I count work phones.

Then again, some good can directly come from old phones.

HopePhones.org|Old phones save lives. Donate yours to a medical clinic in a developing country today
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #36
Moderator PEG Judges

worn out through having been fired so many times it just gave up and died.
Aye, funnily enough it happened to me with a couple of F3's (just showing my age again) you know the ones made by the other lot beginning with N.

Working in the Middle East at the time, so I guess it was a combo of heat and sand, just killed 'em.

The Pentax LX's I replaced them with, (which trust me, was a bold move back then, switching brands away from the big N) performed without missing a beat under the same conditions. I still have a couple of bodies now from back then and both are still working (with the usual TLC and a service every now and again).
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Well for me the "upgrade" from the k200d to the kx was a need. I enjoy photography and it gives me a creative outlet from work and"real life". I really enjoy shooting concerts and the kx makes it easier. Needs take different forums sometimes.
01-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #38
Site Supporter

I own 20+ film bodies and 3 DSLR bodies. When picking up another film cam, it's the collectors' urge - want something different, rare, pretty, maybe a repair challenge. But when buying a DSLR it's only because what I have doesn't support something I am trying to do well enough - it's about stepping forward in available technology.

In other words, for me it's closer to "need" on the digital side, though I'm primarily a film guy. Film shooting gives me a completely self-indulgent joy; digital gets the job done.

But as to what really constitutes a person's needs, that all goes back to Maslow.

01-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I went from P&Ss to the K-x because I was tired of crappy IQ (and I fell in love with manual controls on a superzoom). Best decision ever.

Later on, my K-x started developing some mechanical problems (sticking shutter button and lens mount), and it had suffered from the shutter blur/mirror slap issue from the start, so I was looking for a replacement without sacrificing the high ISO performance. I also wanted WR. The K-5 was the perfect answer. Now don't get me wrong, the K-x has taken countless amazing photos for me over the year I've owned it, but the small issues were starting to really get on my nerves. Once I held the K-5, I knew I had made the right choice. It is worlds apart in ergonomics, handling and features. Virtually every single thing I wish the K-x had (AF adjustment, mode dial lock, WR, rear remote sensor, fine programing controls, AF points, etc.) was answered in the K-5, and it just feels better to hold and use.

Now that I'm forced to go back to the K-x while my K-5's off for replacement because of stains, I'm really feeling the loss. The K-5's answered nearly all my wants, so unless the K-3 has something truly revolutionary, I'm not going to feel compelled to upgrade there (though my inner tech junkie will probably be drooling anyway). Video could be better, of course, but I'm just going to get a dedicated camera for that (maybe a m4/3).
01-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
To answer OP's question, I have a K-x and while I am happy with it, I am also looking to get a WR camera...but probably a K10d (it's all I will be able to afford) because winters here are harsh and I hate avoiding the outside world because I'm worried for my K-x.
Consider a K200D. WR body, grip available, uses the same batteries as the K-X, Same IQ as K10 (same sensor), cheaper, smaller than the K10 but larger than the K-X.
01-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #41
Pentaxian

1 "my" dSLR is almost 5 years old

2) it does not take the same lenses as either my film 35mm or my wife's dSLR

3) it does not belong to me and never did and I do not feel right taking it out of the country

4) high ISO and faster AF are reasons for buying a K5 rather than a used K10D/K20D except I get the hand me down K10D
01-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #42

Original Poster
Kerrowdown - on the shores of Loch Ness - wrote :

LX's, K10D's & K20D's, working Crumpler, SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8, SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED.

Occasional use for special assignments, SMC Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, SMC Pentax Shift 28mm F3.5 and SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4

Come on, then, where are the pin-sharp correctly exposed pictures of the monster?
01-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

nope never worn out a camera (and I've had a lot of them)
My oldest camera is older than me (i'm 50 it's 56) and still works well. I buy new cameras now in the digital world for technology improvements. My K10D was a big jump from my *ist ds, My k7 is a similar jump from the K10.
In film cameras the improvements are less defined since effectively image quality had a lot to do with the film used and the lens quality, the body being a way to bring the 2 together
but that being said I still have 11 film bodies (varying formats and camera types) that all have their uses. there are also at least 6 more I'd like for one reason or another.
I rarely upgrade at the beginning of a camera life cycle though, (though the K5 sorely tempted me When i did the math and compared it to what I could pick up a good used K7 for I went K7, the difference will put a lot of film in my film cameras, and really could buy me a couple of the more expensive film cameras i want ( an nice medium format rangefinder for instance) Or for that matter the difference will be able to pay for the Fuji x100 when it arrives if I decide to buy it for it's unique form and function
they are all tools, each has it's use, some get used more than others, some should probably be sold off but i'm attached to all of them for one reason or another
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #44
Moderator PEG Judges

Come on, then, where are the pin-sharp correctly exposed pictures of the monster?
She is kinda shy, but I'll ask her over breakfast if she would mind posing for a couple of shots.
01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I just want to cut down on the number of electronic widgets I cause to be created. Ever counted how many mobile phones you've owned? I'm up around ten already and barely use the things when I carry them. It's probably closer to twenty if I count work phones.
No kidding?

I keep my cell phones until the carrier stops supporting them. My son-in-law works in management for a major carrier, so I can have any phone I want, free. My current phone (4th in 25 years) came to me via a trade and was lightly used. It's about five years old. I love it, and it magically does everything I want. I've been offered a 4-G version, but see no need to trade up, yet.

Anyway, if you are suffering from 'widget creation' guilt, consider buying used as it adds little to the new sale inventory. Just might help you sleep a little bit better.

Cheers... M