Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My oldest camera is older than anyone alive in my family, a pre-WWI Kodak Monitor 6x9 folder, and it still works fine. Respooling 120 film onto 620 spools is a bother, though.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
There is an alternate though more expensive option for you Rio

Film for Classics - Providing film for antique cameras. Rochester, NY and Worldwide.
Actually there is a very simple and cheap way of doing it. Especially if you process your own.

Find one of these..

The trick to this gem is it will accept Both 620 and 120 spools and it is a light tight box or can be made so. There may be others, this one works for me (what you are about to see is for demo purposes only).

Load your 120 film with a 120 take up spool as you normally might.

Close the back and completely wind the film on to the take up spool. Once done, remove the now loaded spool (you should be looking at the flap that gets folded under for simple short term storage or the trip to the processor. Remove the tape used to hold the spool of film from unwinding (or at least I do, gaffers tape or similar works fine instead. Speaking of the tape, here's the next part of the trick. Unwind just enough of the spool until you get to the film edge (you're going to lose about an inch of film here). Making sure that the film is still wound tight, tape the end of the film to the paper.

Put your 620 spool into the camera as the take up spool and put the film on the supply side as normal. Load the paper carrier into the 620 spool as you normally would.

.... and wind the film on to the 620 spool and viola! 620 film, fast and easy.

[IMGtall]http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/HelpandStuff/respool/K5JS2842m28f217x.jpg[/IMGtall]

The whole process takes about 2 minutes. Took me longer to write this up than it took me to make my own 620 test roll (that roll of film has been wound through Many cameras to test the film advance and shutters where film is needed to fire them). Worked great when I was playing with the Kodak Medalist II cameras.

01-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #62
Veteran Member

There is an alternate though more expensive option for you Rio
Yes, well, thank you, but ten bucks per roll just ain't happening on my budget. Am I cheap? Back in the day, I'd buy 100-foot rolls of 35mm film, and spool lengths into reloadable 135 carts. Especially outdated film, and rolls of outdated paper -- THAT'S how to keep costs down! And shoot with half-frame 135/HF cams. Ah, my old Pen-FT SLR...

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Actually there is a very simple and cheap way of doing it. Especially if you process your own.
Ah yes, the Foldex trick. Word has gotten out, and their price has risen. Luckily, I have a boxy little Herbert George Co. OFFICIAL GIRL SCOUT 620 CAMERA that also fits 120 spools. Let's see, I think it cost three bucks. The only bother is that I don't have a light-tight room (now), just a changing-bag to fumble around in.
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Yeatzee, your K7 is wonderful. Keep it.
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Yeatzee, your K7 is wonderful. Keep it.
It is wonderful isn't it?

Considering the K-7 cost me half what the asking price for the k-5 is.... yeah I have no plans on upgrading

01-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
It is wonderful isn't it?

Considering the K-7 cost me half what the asking price for the k-5 is.... yeah I have no plans on upgrading
My Logic exactly when I chose mine

So far I'm quite impressed with it
01-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What are the real advantages of a K5 over a K7, apart from faster AF and increased ISO range? (K7 is winning on price for me at the moment)

And no... I don't NEED a new camera, I just want to upgrade.
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
My favourite questions for gear freaks are - Why do you need a new camera? Have you worn out the old one?

Purely out of interest, has anyone in the assembled multitude actually had a camera die through sheer hard work? I don't mean a fault or accident, but worn out through having been fired so many times it just gave up and died.
Nope - never have worn out a camera nor needed a new one.

I once wore out a Chevy Suburban, though - 280,000 miles in 12 years. Only time I've ever needed a new car. But I sure have wanted a lot of them.
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

as far as i can tell faster AF, wider DR (and high iso) are the 2 really big things. better sensor (when it's not stained)
my reasoning was if I buy the k7 now (@ $700 when i did with the kit lens) I can hold off until the next gen comes out and pick up the k5 for around the same and have gotten 2 really good cameras for the price of the k5 now

01-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #69
Pentaxian

as far as i can tell faster AF, wider DR (and high iso) are the 2 really big things. better sensor (when it's not stained)
my reasoning was if I buy the k7 now (@ $700 when i did with the kit lens) I can hold off until the next gen comes out and pick up the k5 for around the same and have gotten 2 really good cameras for the price of the k5 now
Sounds like a great strategy to me - you pay dearly for the latest & greatest. You can save a bunch if you're willing to hang back & wait a bit.

Paul
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sounds like a great strategy to me - you pay dearly for the latest & greatest. You can save a bunch if you're willing to hang back & wait a bit.

Paul
I never used to be that way i was an early adopter for years (beta, laser disc, hdtv.... all it did was cost me a lot of money for limited up front benefit, i'm older and more patient now
01-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the way you think I think that K7 would be a decent enough upgrade from K200D, so I'll go on the hunt for that: easier on the purse stings.
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I like the way you think I think that K7 would be a decent enough upgrade from K200D, so I'll go on the hunt for that: easier on the purse stings.
I upgraded from a K200d to a K-7. Any questions?
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Find one of these..

Looks just like my Kodak tourist! I neat looking camera for sure
01-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fixed

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Yes, shutter switch failed. Pushed too many times.
I installed a new shutter switch, and it lives!