Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why do you need a new camera?

My favourite questions for gear freaks are - Why do you need a new camera? Have you worn out the old one?

Purely out of interest, has anyone in the assembled multitude actually had a camera die through sheer hard work? I don't mean a fault or accident, but worn out through having been fired so many times it just gave up and died.

01-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

"Need" has never had anything to do with why I buy new gear......

And, no, I've never worn one out.
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
My favourite questions for gear freaks are - Why do you need a new camera? Have you worn out the old one?

Purely out of interest, has anyone in the assembled multitude actually had a camera die through sheer hard work? I don't mean a fault or accident, but worn out through having been fired so many times it just gave up and died.
Yes, shutter switch failed. Pushed too many times.
01-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say it was worn out because I think it could be repaired fairly easily, but my old ME was starting to have problems from extended use. It wouldn't always advance the film evenly and the control ring on top had broken. However, everything else seemed to be in good shape.

01-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

I think it's usually about want more than need.

For me the one thing really making me want to upgrade right now is burst rate. Those extra 1-1.5 frames the K-R has over the K-X might not seem like much but for surfing sequences it will really help. I've seen 6fps from the 50D and it just seems to compress more action into the same number of shots but over a shorter/faster burst period.

I've never worn out a DSLR, as the K-X is my first one, but I've had a few DV cameras die on me because they've just had too many tapes run through them.
01-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got a Kx and a K7. Don't need, don't want a K5. Going to spend the equivalent of a K5 on some top notch glass... the Tamron 17-50 and the 70-200. The output of the 17-50 is as good any Pentax prime or DA* for that matter in it's focal length.
01-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Can't say I've ever Needed a new camera except when I wanted to go from Bridge to dSLR. Sold my FZ20 to a guy in Poland and bought my first K10d. I've never worn one out, they've always been working perfectly when I sold them for upgrades. None of my shutter counts have ever made it to 10k. Maybe my K5 will.

01-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My second SP1, I wore out the shutter and had it replaced once, before the guy explained to me how because the shutter grooves were worn, each new shutter would last less and less time. That's when I bought my Program Plus, which I never wore out and still have, although the lens disappeared somewhere along the way. . My #istD had a circuit board fail after 2.5 years. I bought the 3 year extended warranty so they fixed it, but without that I would have bought a K100D which was $200 less than the repair.

As camera's get better though, that's when you need to get rid of them. The 14 Evs dynamic range in the new K-5 should make multi-shot HDR pretty much obsolete. Who can't benefit from extended dynamic range and 2 more bits of info per pixel? Cameras are still advancing faster than I can keep up. Once I started printing my pictures, I started needing more mega pixels. Every step forward requires at least one new piece of equipment so it seems.

Upgrading to the latest version of Aperture made the 4 year old iMac I was using pretty much obsolete. It runs so slowly you fall asleep at the keyboard on my old CPU. Since I was around for the last Pentax revolution... the spotmatic through the lens meter, this one has me totally unfazed. There are things you simply have to change your way of doing things for. My old Lunasix III light meter is still around here somewhere.
01-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Dropped my K10D and now all images are recorded upside down which isn't a big deal but a nuisance. Also REALLY want (not need) something with better high ISO performance and more DR than the K10.....Then again for 1,500 I will be waiting....1,000 and I am pulling the trigger so prolly about a year or so anyway.
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.... The 14 Evs dynamic range in the new K-5 should make multi-shot HDR pretty much obsolete. Who can't benefit from extended dynamic range and 2 more bits of info per pixel? ....
I tend to agree.. Underexposed by almost 4 stops (I've shown this before).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/5151802497_1deab6ced0_o.jpg

01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I have an arsenal of lenses not compatible with my camera. I'd like to use them, so to do so on digital, I need a new camera.
01-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Definitely about "want" over need. I do not need my camera or lenses because photography is just a hobby whereas someone that is a photographer by profession would need a camera. But in any case, I bought a Kx because I thought it was the best camera on the entry-level market and it was my first non point and shoot so I have never had a camera die on me.
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I outgrew my upscale point and shoot. Did I need a DSLR, yes, actually I did. Do I need to upgrade to a better DSLR at some point in the not too distant future? Yes, I will need to do that as my *ist isn't likely going to take the abuse I'm going be giving it doing pro work hopefully as of later this year. I seldom actually upgrade my cameras etc from a frivolous position. I'm not in a financial position to do that right now. I do tend to work with what I have for a long time.
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote

Actually two reasons that I experienced this weekend are at the top of my list as to why I would like to upgrade my K10D.

First, I was up on Mt. Washington yesterday with the grandchildren and tried to take a number of action shots of the kids tobogganing downhill. Out of the 8 shots, 2 were acceptable. Second issue was today, we were out geocaching and found a cache deep in the woods. When I tried to take a photo of the kids with the Cache, I had a real difficult time getting a focus lock. took six shots and 2 were sharp., 2 were semi sharp and two were trashed when I saw them on the computer.

While I will keep my K10d as a backup body and use it for wide angle and landscape shots, my new camera (K5) will be for people, action and my all around general use camera.
01-02-2011, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Although I still an amateur, when I first bought my k2000, I told everyone that 'the camera does not matter, the lens matters somewhat and that it is mainly the photographer that matters'. This is true. But I bought the k5 because I found that I was taking too many low light photos that had too much noise and often of kids on stage that I could not afford to miss on quality because kids grow up fast. I needed the k5. Or at least that's my story. And I am sticking to it.