Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #16

This is a simple question for me . . .

My wife and I bought a Nikon S50 from BestBuy 2 years ago because it had 7.2MP and I did no research and had no idea what I was looking at. I never hated the camera until we went to Canada and every pictures look pixelated, cloudy, blurry, etc. For christmas we asked for amazon.com gift cards from everyone, did some research, and ended up buying the Pentax Kx in`white with 18/55 + 50/200 lenses. It comes Wednesday, and I've already almost bought a pentax-m 50mm f1.7 off ebay.

01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #17

I've had my k10d for 4 years and it still takes beautiful pictures. 36K shots and still no real problems that deem it unusable <knock on wood>. It has some funky quirks with the buttons now and then but usually all I have to do is turn it off and back on. I need a new camera just for the higher iso capabilities. When talking to my husband however I really play up those little quirks simply because he has no clue what higher ISO capability means. ;o)
01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottydoesnt Quote
This is a simple question for me . . .

My wife and I bought a Nikon S50 from BestBuy 2 years ago because it had 7.2MP and I did no research and had no idea what I was looking at. I never hated the camera until we went to Canada and every pictures look pixelated, cloudy, blurry, etc. For christmas we asked for amazon.com gift cards from everyone, did some research, and ended up buying the Pentax Kx in`white with 18/55 + 50/200 lenses. It comes Wednesday, and I've already almost bought a pentax-m 50mm f1.7 off ebay.
Welcome to the Other side of the fence

01-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got my first dslr, an *istD, in September, and have already taken over 1000 shots with it. A lot of throwaways, since I'm still learning, but I totally love this camera. To me it's amazing with the manual primes I've gotten (28, 50 & 135mm), and the big pentaprism viewfinder is fantastic. The problem? No SR This isn't an issue with my manual primes, but hand-held shots at the long end of my F80-200mm are tough. So I feel that a K10D or better is in my (hopefully near) future. I don't see myself selling my *istD, however - so some of my other toys will have to go for fund-raising...

Paul

Last edited by paulh; 01-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.
01-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
My favourite questions for gear freaks are - Why do you need a new camera? Have you worn out the old one?

Purely out of interest, has anyone in the assembled multitude actually had a camera die through sheer hard work? I don't mean a fault or accident, but worn out through having been fired so many times it just gave up and died.
Because they're more like computers, than the light boxes of yesteryear.

Sensor technology improves leaps every year, although megapixels seems to be plateauing out in APS-C and smaller sensors, but the improvements in high ISO is pretty remarkable to me, even in P&S, lower noise, better DR.

I have a K100D (have had it for about 3 years), and just got a refurb K20D in Nov. The improvement in IQ is noticeable at low ISO, the higher MP doesn't hurt, better body, etc. I still think the K100D has better high ISO noise than the K20D however, and I simply cannot afford a K5, but didn't want a K-r, but both of those have improvements in high ISO noise that older sensors can't match.
01-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I need a K7 so I can give my wife my K2000. We have differing opinions on how the camera should be taken care of. Me = overprotective, Her = not protective enough!!
01-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My old P&S canon's flash is burnt out and the lens cover gets stuck about half the time I turn the camera on.

01-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

If you make money with photography, 'need' is a factor. Otherwise it's 'want' all the way, no matter how it's rationalized. I absolutely did 'need' to buy my first digicam, for product shots for eBay. Upgrading from 1.1mpx to 5mpx P&S meant better product shots -- and lots of fun out in the real world. But I still use the 5mpx P&S (Sony DSC-V1, fantastic camera) for product shots, so 'need' won't be involved unless eBay changes technical standards drastically.

I am quite aware that I didn't 'need' my first dSLR, the K20D. I just wanted to do stuff that couldn't be done the the DSC-V1, which meant a box upon which to hang certain lenses, and the K20D qualified. And I chose it specifically so that I wouldn't 'want' another body for some years. I strenuously avoid the GOTTA.UPGRADE meme. If I broke it, then I would 'need' a replacement, but not while it lives. Not until a FF MILC is announced...

I can see one valid non-commercial rationalization for 'need': family. With video. Rather than haul around both a still.cam and a vid.cam, I can entirely understand someone wanting / needing a dSLR with video capability, for recording what the kinfolk are doing. I'll assign that a 'need' factor because NOT recording the kinfolk can leave one in social disgrace. But social disgrace can be expensive, so it really does come down to money after all.

BTW, I haven't actually worn out a camera, but I am on my third DSC-V1, having mangaged to mung the first two.
01-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #24

dropped my k10d and broke the hotshoe mount. also doing lot of indoor /low light photography and could use the high iso capabilities of the new cameras.
01-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure how deep the OP wishes to explore the 'need' question, but this link provides a detailed and interesting look at what the 'consumer imaging industry' is doing to meet it:

State of the Industry 2010 | Market Research

Cheers... M
01-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #26

Original Poster
I got about halfway down the page before my eyes glazed over . . .
01-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
My favourite questions for gear freaks are - Why do you need a new camera? Have you worn out the old one?

Purely out of interest, has anyone in the assembled multitude actually had a camera die through sheer hard work? I don't mean a fault or accident, but worn out through having been fired so many times it just gave up and died.
I can't honestly answer this. I have only ever had one camera "fail" and I simply do not know if it was a freak failure, or the camera somehow got dropped or hit, without my knowledge. My K10D had the shutter fail, and the repair included replacement of the shutter, mirror and lens mount, although the only symptom was a bad curtain which left part of the image black above sync speed.

I got the K7D when I sent the K10D for repair.

Every other camera purchase aside from my first SLR in 1981 was an upgrade, or for functional differences.

At some time, I may again upgrade from the K7D to the K5D, but that is a hard call. it is not a question of need, as my *istD and K10D also still get work, but the reports are that the K5D is so much better than any of them, it has my interest. Perhaps in a few months...........
01-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Contemplating an upgrade myself, so OP's questions are really relevant. I'm not thinking in terms of "need", but, rather, in terms of "could benefit from" the improvements in the later models/sensors. And of course, I have at least some disposable income that can be allocated to an enjoyable hobby. As for worn out, my current k100d S has just under 10K shots - I can't imagine ever getting it to even 50,000 shots on the shutter. Makes me wonder if it really is the shutter activations, or something else that determines the life span of a dslr. 10 years from now will the world be awash in old dslr's that have used only 25% of their life?
01-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Not need, but want for me.

*old superzoom camera has cracked LCD cover (still works though, but crack is annoying)
*old camera (above) has severe ISO limitation (max 100 before noise)
*old camera has no manual focus
*old camera has over 45,000 actuations
01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No failures thus far, just a desire to 'do more' on the job - so getting a 2nd body for the 2nd lens.
Then now the backup body has become the family videocam.