Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-7 HDR function problems

Hi everyone, new to the forum and couldn't seem to find a link to this but please point me in the right direction if I've missed it! I have a k-7 and am having no success with the HDR function. I am using the standard 3 shot setting and a tripod but the outcome I get when the 3 photos are combined look really washed out, worse than a single shot in every way possible, everything just looks over exposed. The only way I seem to get even a bit of success is by using manual setting and under exposing the original settings by a large proportion. I have seen demo images from the HDR function on the K-7 and they look fantastic but it seems no matter what I do mine look really horrible. Is there some settings I can change or some way that anyone knows to improve these shots as I tend never to use it because of constant poor images but this feature has been flagged in reviews as a real positive feature. My sister has an iPhone 4 and her HDR shots are better than my SLR which is quite embarrassing!

01-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

What metering mode are you using?
01-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had tried the HDR function in my K7 with out much success. I was told the in camera HDR isn't that good, and to just take 3-5 exposures, and do it using software instead of using the camera.
01-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What metering mode are you using?
I have used aperture priority with very little success, completely overexposed like it's just added them altogether to create a big mush. Tried full manual with settings very underexposed and better result but certainly nothing to be impressed with!

01-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, but that wasn't what I was asking.
I don't want to know what exposure mode you are using, but rather what metering mode (spot, pattern, center weighted).
The HDR on the K7 isn't all that great, it still needs post processing to get the levels right, but it should be giving a usable result.
01-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Thanks, but that wasn't what I was asking.
I don't want to know what exposure mode you are using, but rather what metering mode (spot, pattern, center weighted).
The HDR on the K7 isn't all that great, it still needs post processing to get the levels right, but it should be giving a usable result.
Ah, ok, i mainly use the intelligent metering mode, but have tried the other modes as well. This is usually combined with my photo composition of about 1/3 sky. Obviously the more sky I put in the photo the faster shutter speed my light meter thinks I require.
01-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #7

1.you can use hdr program which you have in the camera
2.you can combine manualy with photomaticks 3 pictures take in
different exposures +2 0 _2

01-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Try setting the custom image function to landscape. You can do this on your existing HDR jpegs in Pentax Digital Camera Utility. This will pump up the brightness of certain colours and improve the look.

Also, if by 'better' do you mean the iphone has more dynamic range than the K-7, or do you mean it makes the images look surreal?
01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

T'would be nice to see a picture, BTW.
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You're right the iPhone does make it's HDR images look surreal as it does seem to boost the contrast too much, but aside of that, it does seem to do what HDR is meant to do in that it creates a photo with all aspects exposed correct. I will try to get a couple of my photos up soon for you to have a look at, I am on holidays at the moment and have been posting from my phone so as soon as I get a chance some photos will go up. Can anyone tell me how to upload a pic to this thread? :-)
01-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Use the "Go Advanced" button (not quick reply), then there is a little paper clip for attachments.
Hope that makes sense!