Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter

accesories for kx...any kits?

Hi all,
first of all I am new her so I apologize if this is not the right place for this post (I checked and I think this is the most appropriate forum though)
I am getting a Pentax Kx as my first DSLR with the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm lenses. I know I will need filters for those lenses, hoods and a bag for the camera.
Does anybody know of a good kit that includes those? I have seen some with tripods and batteries but I do not really need those.
I am also interested in the adapter to make the viewfinder bigger (magnifier?), a cleaning kit and a fast memory card (I have many memory cards but I cannot really tell the difference between mine and the new ones). Any suggestion on those? Are they worth it?
I have been reading posts in this and other forums related to this topic but most of them seemed quite old so maybe things have changed...
thanks a lot beforehand,
s

01-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No kit exist for what you want
If your memory card work in the camera you are fine

For still photo class 4 and over are good. For video , you should get class 10 . That # is on the card in a circle.
I use the Transcend one and never have a problem
01-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like the previous poster said, there is not 1 kit that has everything you are looking for so I suggest buying things little by little. Rank the items by what you think will be most important for you and go from there. I can suggest the Pentax O-M53 eye piece as a magnifier and a class 6 (or higher) card, as for the other things, it's all personal preference.
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you for your opinions.
as for the filters, is there such thing as a "standard filter"? I am talking about the one that simply covers the lenses. Could anybody tell me which ones you use and what is your experience with them?
Same for the bag...which kind of bag has a reasonable size/price for the kx, the 18-55 and the 55-300 lenses?
thanks again!
s

01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only filter you probably really want is the Circular Polarizing. I was where you are a couple months ago, and HERE is what I ended up with.
01-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks mgvh!
actually I bookmarked your original post a while ago .
I will go for the hoods and filters you recommend.
How is your memory card working? I have been checking on different brands / sizes and there seem to be many different opinions. I was happy with a bunch of 2G cards I used for my P&S but I am not sure if they will be able to keep it up with the kx video....maybe I will give them a try before getting anything else.
thanks again,
s
01-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
How is your memory card working? I have been checking on different brands / sizes and there seem to be many different opinions. I was happy with a bunch of 2G cards I used for my P&S but I am not sure if they will be able to keep it up with the kx video....maybe I will give them a try before getting anything else.
Get yourself some good quality SD card(s). The Sandisk SD cards are well-liked by Pentaxians and you may consider the Sandisk Extreme III 30 Mb/s to keep up with the video rate and Hi continuous shooring burst rate of the K-x.

Get some card with 4 Gb minimum, preferably 8 or 16 Gb.

The hood is a nice suggestion and will reduce the risk of flare.
01-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

O-m53 is worth it... Get a tripod... Sandisk extremeIII card works well for me...

I use UV filters... They're some who hate them... I see them as essential in protecting my lenses and have no issues with reduced IQ as a result...

Crumpler if you want a shoulder bad... Lowepro for a rucksack...

Sanyo Eneloops are brilliant batteries... Get a couple sets and a good charger.

01-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody! I think I am almost done with my "shopping list".
Hoods and filters go first.
I have been using eneloops for 3 years now. I was against non-lithium batteries but they made me change my mind. I have a couple of tripods too but I just use them occasionally.
As for the O-m53 I have been using live view my whole life but I have read that there are some "issues" with its speed on the kx. I think I will start using the viewfinder and if it bothers me I will get the magnifier.
hopefully I will be lucky with the SD card I get (I have been using over 6 and I have never had problems...knock on wood)
I may wait until I get the rest of the stuff to get the bag and see how much space I need.
What do you guys use for cleaning? Do you always take it with you? Any suggestions?

thank you!!!
01-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have been satisfied with the Transcend SD cards... (an older 8Gb Class 6 and the newer 16Gb Class 10)
I like my LowePro 202 because it can hold all my gear... but it's just too big to throw on my bag if I want to take my camera out biking or getting around easily.
I did get the CaseLogic Sling 205. It has some odd design choices, but it does the job and is quite compact.
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

I would never use a UV filter. The right hood protects the lens.

Only a CP filter adds quality to a digital image AND protects the lens.

And 90% of CP filters stink.

Avoid that kit. Avoid all kits like this.

They're usually discounted and attractive, but still crap.
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ira,
I guess there are different opinions on those. Since they are not expensive I think I will try just one and see how I like it