Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

what camera to get next

I currently have a K100D super and I am looking to upgrade it as I feel I am ready for a more advanced camera, if that makes sense. I am unsure what to go for next? I would class myself as a intermediate level user and plan to use the camera in a social/hobby way rather then in a business sense

01-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In what ways is the existing camera unstatisfactory? Unless you know, you won't be able to make an informed choice about if upgrading is necessary and if it is, to what. Also, do you have a budget?

It's also possible that the grass is what you should be upgrading rather than the camera.
01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
It's also possible that the grass is what you should be upgrading rather than the camera.
An upgrade to greener grass?

But yeah, it all depends on what the new camera needs to do better than the old one, and also on your budget.
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattie Quote
...I would class myself as a intermediate level user...
Then the K20D, K-7 and K-5 would be the obvious potential choices.

These advanced bodies are weather resistant, dual dials, excellent handling, excellent viewfinder, and many advanced functions. They are compatible with your existing lenses.

If money is not an issue, go for the K-5. Cheaper alternatives include the K20D and K-7, either new or second-hand. You can find some K-7 2nd hand about $600-650 that is extremely good value.

Hope that the comment will assist....

01-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If your shooting for a hobby, then a camera like the K-r would be a good choice. Or go with a used K-x and then put the extra money into some glass (not grass).
01-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any of the current cameras will give you improvement (kx, kr, K7, K5). Not certain how important dual dials, weather sealing are for you. If those are important than going for the K7 or K5 is the way to go. Otherwise, the Kx or Kr will give you improvement in most areas (although not in build quality or sealing).

The K7 will not give significant improvement over the k100 with regard to high iso shooting. I feel like I can shoot to iso 1600 with the K7 and could do the same with the K100. However, auto focus and other features make the camera a whole lot more useable.
01-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
An upgrade to greener grass?
Doh!

But you knew what I meant.

Should have mentioned ExposurePlot as well - it makes it easy to analyse what focal lengths and so on are being used which might help.

ExposurePlot (former Focalplot)