Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Pentax K-7, a pro camera at an amateur price?

A buddy saw my new K-7 and claims it to be used by many National Geographic and other magazine photographers. True? Who is known for using a K-7?

01-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know if that's true, but I do have one National Geographic, learn to shoot book, that has a guy up to his neck in water with a Pentax and what I think is a 400mm lens. I'll try to dig it out when I get home.

here's the link on amazon, it's the guy on the cover, lower right
Amazon.com: National Geographic Ultimate Field Guide to Photography: Revised and Expanded (Photography Field Guides) (9781426204319): National Geographic: Books

7samurai
01-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Forum Member

I don't know if it is used by many National Geographic photographers, but it is a favorite with many landscape/outdoors photographers. It's small size and weather sealing make it the perfect camera to travel with.

It's definitely got some pro level features and is priced extremely competatively. Pro camera for an amatuer price? Maybe. Great value, advanced camera at an amazing price? Definitely.
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know for sure, but the K-7 would be a good choice considering the WR features. Lot of the Nat Geo stories span the globe from desert to arctic climates and everything inbetween. So I wouldn't be surprised if their photogs look for gear that can withstand dust, water, moisture and so forth. I'm sure there are many out there who would also go with an Olympus E-3 or Nikon D300s.

01-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K7 has two things going for it, when it comes to out doors -- rugged build (weather sealed and tested for cold temperatures) and small size (particularly when combined with weather sealed lenses it is smaller than comparable Canon and Nikon options). When you are hiking, every ounce counts and it definitely can make a difference. As to whether or not it is a pro camera, I have no idea (nor does anyone else).