Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Newbie Question jpeg vs raw

Hi,

I am moving to digital (actually I am anxiously waiting for new K-X to be delivered ) after 25+ years of film (more like 35 if you count the Instamatic I got for my 8th birthday) .

Anyway - I understand that raw allows more control of the final image than jpg, but I was wondering how may folks out there shoot raw vs jpg, and I am also interested to know peoples thoughts on whether the benefits outweigh the added time spent converting formats. Thanks

01-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the first month or 2 of my new Kx (had for about 9-10 months now) I shot jpeg but then went 100% to RAW once I learned how to best use PhotoShop. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the added time spent PPing. Actually I think that PPing is not "added" time but should be automatically considered as a normal part of the photo process just like the dark room for film. My general rule of thumb is to try and take the best pic possible but that is not always the case so I PP either a tiny bit or a lot depending on how my original came out.

**One thing I will admit, PhotoShop takes up A LOT of time. I can spend anywhere from 1min to an ongoing process of a few days on one photo. Some might find that excessive and will prefer to shoot jpeg.
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
go to this thread, I think at some point or another it will answer all questions. the simple answer though is raw is your negative, it allows much more detailed enhancement without image quality loss caused by compression (jpeg is a lossy compressed format)
I shoot everything Raw and have revisited shots over time as my skills in post improved and gotten better results from shots that weren't perfect out of the camera.
If you always nail it in camera and never mis exposure you wanted (most scenes can be exposed any number of ways) then shooting straight to jpeg is fine.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/126208-raw-just-me-di...along-way.html
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

also there are simpler solutions than photoshop. 85% + of my post is now done in lightroom 3.3
it's far faster and more intuitive for basic post work

01-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

jpeg is a compact format and supports 8 bits per color channel. Plus, there is some potential degradation each time you save the file so it is good to have an "original" jpeg that NEVER gets re-saved.

Raw (dng) and Tiff formats contain far more data about the image and can handle more 12, or 14 bit color channels though they may be saved as 16-bit.
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen several polls on this forum about this question raw vs. jpeg. Basically raw is where it's at and that is that. There are reasons why one chooses to shot in jpeg - action shots are a good example but generally shoot in raw. This will allow you the most flexibility with your images. That said, start with jpeg first to learn to use your camera. This simplifies things at first but then move to raw to really get more out of it.

A really good and fun video on this can be found here:

http://www.whibalhost.com/products

/DVD/

It might seem a little hoaky but this guy knows what he's talking about.
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, see the existing thread mentioned above. Don't need another one going.

You can also look in the software/processing forum as people talk about the subject as well.

01-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yeah, see the existing thread mentioned above. Don't need another one going.

You can also look in the software/processing forum as people talk about the subject as well.
Except that that thread was started with the intention of "low mouthing" raw shooting.
01-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Except that that thread was started with the intention of "low mouthing" raw shooting.
True but that didn't last long so it ends as a good argument for RAW
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Not really. It was started as a complaint about an attitude towards raw...not raw, in general.
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Not really. It was started as a complaint about an attitude towards raw...not raw, in general.
It was not a thread started with the intention of comparing jpeg to raw nor was it specifically geared to a beginner. The initial post was loaded with sarcasm which is fine, because I got the drift of it. But it still isn't a good thread in the since it delineates the pros and cons of raw vs. jpeg vs. tiff nor does it address the various proprietary version of raw files which every manufacturer has one including Adobe and other software companies.
01-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

true, there are some other threads that actually get into it quite well this is a common newbie question, there really should be a thread with a sticky for this
01-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that RAW is definitely where it is at. I would say most of the time I just use the presets that are already in photoshop, but there are times when I want to bring up shadowed areas, or change color tint/ white balance and find it an awful lot easier with RAW. Add the benefit that if I alter it in one photo, I can easily click on multiple photos and make it the same in them and it saves considerable time (I use photoshop elements).
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
Forum Member

I used to use only jpeg as I am still only getting my feet wet with digital photography, but after the first time I used RAW, I will never go back. I was blown away by how much more room you have to play around in post.

The only time I still use jpeg is when shooting sequences.
01-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
I am also interested to know peoples thoughts on whether the benefits outweigh the added time spent converting formats. Thanks
I missed this first time around.

It takes only a few clicks to "extract a jpg" in a batch using the Pentax software (select the images, click the command, designate a location ). It will give you the jpg that is embedded in the PEF file, and does a whole card in less than a minute. I do this all the time to compare near-dupes (using a different viewer than Pentax however).

If you choose to actually convert the files, it is the same clicks (different command) and it may take several minutes depending on quantity and the power of your computer - probably as long as a bathroom break and finding something on TV (good luck there). You can go back and tweak the ones that could use it.

This is not really time-consuming.