Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #1

Lens Rentals

I have been looking for a place that rents lenses for pentax. All of the places I have found rent cannon or nikon.
I use a Pentax *ist DL and have been shooting footbal pictures for a semi pro team and I would like to be able to rent a f/2.5 250 mm to 400mm lens for about 1 month especialy now as the team is in the playoffs.
Any help would be great

10-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have looked into doing a K mount rental Co. but problem is getting the glass to begin with, not to mention the outlay ov about $25000 start up to have a FA*600F4, 2 300F2.8 and something like a Sigma 500F4.5 and 70-200F2.8 Plus some other glass etc. to loan out.
Overall though its not the money that has stoped me from doing it. I could probaly get a SB loan, its the glass it's self. There is like a 3-6mo waiting period for the FA* teliphotos

No one rents Kmount glass, the only Pentax stuff was the 645/67 that they might have had years ago in film days. Its something that if you need to rent Glass you have to rent a body too, I have had to do it myself. (Well barrowed a body, and rented the lens) But overall its not worth it for me anymore to rent. I just buy.
For you you should just buy a 200 F2.8 (zoom or prime) at $1000 or so (a little less if you can find a sigma/tokina) A month rental would cost you atleast 1/2 of that anyways.
10-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With the resale market so strong for Pentax glass, it's hard to imagine rental being any more cost effective than buying and reselling. Sure, there's an initial investment...but you're going to get like 90% of it back. And if you're in the US, selling overseas can get you more than your purchase price back for a lot of lenses. In the end, you're likely to "rent" the lens for a month for next to nothing.