Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is a Beast With Really Long Battery Life

Last night I shot pictures for a time lapse video of the stars with cars passing by in one of the very few mostly clear Illinois winter nights. The K-x took nonstop 30 second pictures for 6 hours and 39 minutes. And that doesn't even include the test pictures before that. I used Ansmann 2850 mah batteries and the temperature varied from 7-14 degrees Fahrenheit. That's crazy considering cold temperatures are supposed to decrease battery life and lithium batteries are supposed to last even longer. I checked the humidity beforehand to make sure my camera wouldn't be covered in frost, but the lens still got some ice crystals on it. Anyway the result isn't that great because I had the camera crooked and the headlights got too bright at times. But here's the video:
The camera did behave a little weirdly right before I brought it in, but it's fine now. So if anyone is wondering, the K-x can stand up to a lot of abuse. And if anyone know of a free simple program that won't have all that pixelation, you can tell me.
Kevin

01-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice video. That is one busy street!
01-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

very very nice video! i like it! thank you!
01-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

how did do the time lapse? I know the K-x by itself doesn't have that function

01-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Nice video. That is one busy street!
Thanks. It's mostly people coming home from work.

QuoteOriginally posted by antzutd Quote
very very nice video! i like it! thank you!
Thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
how did do the time lapse? I know the K-x by itself doesn't have that function
I made something to hold the shutter down: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1227767-post9.html
Someone recently posted a better version here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1323070-post114.html
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pretty nifty idea there
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa! That was cool, krp. Would you mind if I link it too? Some of my peers are getting interested in Pentax here and I'm looking for stuff to convince them further.

Time lapse stuff are amazing... but I didn't know how to do one in a... cheaper manner until now (intervalometers are even more expensive in my place).

Now I'll look for a random plastic thing to keep the button down too.

01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Whoa! That was cool, krp. Would you mind if I link it too? Some of my peers are getting interested in Pentax here and I'm looking for stuff to convince them further.

Time lapse stuff are amazing... but I didn't know how to do one in a... cheaper manner until now (intervalometers are even more expensive in my place).

Now I'll look for a random plastic thing to keep the button down too.
Thanks, you can link to the video. The K-x doesn't actually support intervalometers since it doesn't have anywhere to plug one in. I was thinking of buying a cheap intervalometer on ebay and combining it with a wireless remote I have. If you or your friends are interested in time lapse I think the K-r has one built in so that might be better.
01-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I made something to hold the shutter down: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1227767-post9.html
lol that's pretty funny

cool idea
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
lol that's pretty funny

cool idea
Yep - I would have never thought of that. That's what forums are for!
01-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

@krp
a propos de ceci
"Le Kx a 30 images secondes sans interruption pendant 6 heures et 39 minutes"

Je suppose que vous avez voulu dire une image toute les 30 secondes, c'est a dire 2 images par minutes ce qui a fait 6h 39mn x2 ou 6x60=360mn+39mn=399mn x 2 img sec = 798 Images
somme nous d'accord ?
Car en mode film a 30 images par secondes la carte sdhc (et deja le systeme fat 32) aurait explosé avant
Bien cordialent, jpette
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, you can link to the video. The K-x doesn't actually support intervalometers since it doesn't have anywhere to plug one in. I was thinking of buying a cheap intervalometer on ebay and combining it with a wireless remote I have. If you or your friends are interested in time lapse I think the K-r has one built in so that might be better.
gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options

At the current exchange rate about $50.
01-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpette Quote
@krp
a propos de ceci
"Le Kx a 30 images secondes sans interruption pendant 6 heures et 39 minutes"

Je suppose que vous avez voulu dire une image toute les 30 secondes, c'est a dire 2 images par minutes ce qui a fait 6h 39mn x2 ou 6x60=360mn+39mn=399mn x 2 img sec = 798 Images
somme nous d'accord ?
Car en mode film a 30 images par secondes la carte sdhc (et deja le systeme fat 32) aurait explosé avant
Bien cordialent, jpette
I took continuous 30 second pictures so yes that means 2 pictures every minute. Your math should be correct but I just checked and there are 746 total pictures. I don't know why that is.
01-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options

At the current exchange rate about $50.
I don't really understand how that device works without a screen and controls. I guess you have to buy something else to complete it and make it work?
01-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really understand how that device works without a screen and controls. I guess you have to buy something else to complete it and make it work?
From the manual

QuoteQuote:
To change the repeat rate adjust the screw-set at B. This is a 22 turn adjustment. It has a slipping clutch at the end, so it makes a very quiet click when at the end of the travel. The time between triggers varies from 2 to 35 seconds as the adjustment is turned clockwise, about 1 turn / sec.

For longer timings up to 30 minutes you need to change the link inside the unit, located beside the OFF/ON switch and marked link (E). Remove the cover (as per the instructions in Inserting the battery), and identify the link. It is stored with only one pin connected, move it so the two pins closest to the OFF/ON switch are shorted for 10seconds to 4 minutes, and the two pins furthest from the OFF/ON switch for 1 to 30 minutes. In this final mode in TYPE051 two triggers are sent 1.5 seconds apart, this wakes some cameras up if in sleep mode. To help adjust these longer timings, first experiment and measure without the link then the two longer modes are 7x longer and 50x longer respectively.
There's not much more than an on/off switch, the adjustment screw and 2 LEDs.

http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/Manual-auto.pdf