Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D shutter life

I know I've heard reports of people's K10D's shutters failing after many actuations. I just rolled over 25K on my photo count, and surely my actual shutter count is at least a thousand over that.

I've got my sights set on a shiny new K5, but I'm wondering how much longer before my "want" becomes "need."

01-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I know I've heard reports of people's K10D's shutters failing after many actuations. I just rolled over 25K on my photo count, and surely my actual shutter count is at least a thousand over that.

I've got my sights set on a shiny new K5, but I'm wondering how much longer before my "want" becomes "need."
I've never seen anything official from Pentax regarding expected shutter life, but the number commonly bandied about this and other forums is 100,000 shutter actuations. This is not a guarantee, but an expectation. Perhaps it was Pentax' design goal, but, as I said, I've never heard anyone from Pentax say that.

So, you should have plenty more life left in that shutter.

You can get an accurate shutter count from the EXIF data of any image. Download free EXIF tools like PhotoMe, Opanda or Exiftools to see the data. These are really handy tools to have anyway. In addition to the shutter count, all the exposure data (and a whole lot more) is recorded in the EXIF.

The file number can be reset or change. The shutter count in the EXIF can not. Therefore, the EXIF number is more trustworthy.
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's actually official. From Pentax K10D press release:

-----------------------------------------------
9. Reliable shutter unit

The K10D's shutter unit is designed to withstand nearly 100,000 releases, whlst assuring high-precision operation over the entire shutter-speed range - up to a top speed of 1/4000 second. It also features a flash synchronisation speed of 1/180 second for more versatile flash photography.
-----------------------------------------------
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the wonderful things about our Pentax equipment is that we usually are ready to upgrade before the equipment actually wears out.

According to Pentax the shutter is rated at 100,000 shutter actuations. As noblepa said above, it's not a guarantee, but what they expect it to do. I upgraded from the K-10 to the K-7last fall, not because my K-10 had quit working but because the K-7 had features I wanted, faster autofocus, a faster frames per second rate and many other improvements. I haven't been sorry.

Your K-10 is likely to last a lot longer, but if you're serious about photography, you won't be sorry about upgrading, the newer Pentax's are simply more capable, have better features and have much higher resolution which will help you take better pictures and enjoy doing it more.

01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

That's nice to know, I've got almost 56K shutter count according to EXIF data...

I still want that new K-5, though, it's the first new model I'm considering buying. I gotta get it past the Budget Director though.
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I still want that new K-5, though, it's the first new model I'm considering buying. I gotta get it past the Budget Director though.
We're in the same boat here, buddy. Nothing made me really pine for that new model until the K-5.

Maybe it's not the shutter I was thinking of then... Is it the AF system? I know I've seen discussion about something failing on K10D's after a while.
01-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The AF is always a tricky thing. I suppose the more you poke around in the guts the more likely you are to damage the mirror etc - or get something on the shutter... I have a split-screen in mine, which is nice in some situations.

I dunno, I use my K10 on super-fast shutter speeds taking pictures of insects (bees in flight, trying to freeze the wings) and haven't had any failed images. Out of focus? Yeah, it's a challenging shot...

I would like the significantly better AF of the K-5. I'd make use of it.
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Maybe it's not the shutter I was thinking of then... Is it the AF system? I know I've seen discussion about something failing on K10D's after a while.
Maybe....

I think what you read about is the mirror in the K10D. I remember vaguely that one of the weak points is the design of the hinge(s) of the mirror. After a while, the mirror's position is shifted. This fools the AF sensor which relies on the mirror (manual focus is affected too).

My K10D body, at the count about 25K, developed a back focus problem. I have to use the debug mode, setting it at 120 to correct.

I also read that the design of the hinge(s) had been corrected from the K7 on.

Of course I can't verify any of these.

01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

My K10 Shutter died at 10K cycles, although the total set of parts replaced suggest that somewhere along the way, I had bumped or dropped the camera (they also changed lens mount and mirror assembly)

I used the excuse of the K10D being away for repair to get my K7, \

Since both cameras are still going strong, (as well as my *istD) I am not sure how to justify getting the K5 but I can hear it calling.
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

The mirror is an interesting thought. I will need to check my focus calibration. I think I may have a slight focus shift, which in most situations doesn't really manifest a major problem if DOF is deep enough. It's something to think about and evaluate, though, since I've seen a series of fairly poor photos in some situations. Others have been great...
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The mirror is an interesting thought. I will need to check my focus calibration. I think I may have a slight focus shift, which in most situations doesn't really manifest a major problem if DOF is deep enough. It's something to think about and evaluate, though, since I've seen a series of fairly poor photos in some situations. Others have been great...
somewhere I seem to recall an issue with the K10D (or at least a post here on the forum) about AF shift with time because the K10D has a Mirror rest on one side only, causing the mirror to tilt over time.

Do a search to see if my memory is correct or not.
01-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #12

mine k10d has about 30 thousand actuations at the moment know some k10ds reached 40 thousand and 50 thousand mark the main thing which is bad for shutter imho is cold weather and long/frequent continuous shooting. Maybe You've been shooting something like sports, etc? It's natural for shutter to wear, but not at such count :/