Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

setting maximum picture quality

I set my Pentax K10D for maximum jpeg quality, which is supposed to be 10 megs. But when I look at the properties of my photos it only says about 3.6 megs. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? Do I need raw mode for maximum setting?

JMR

10-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, i *think* the properties refers to the actual file size (megabytes) rather than the number of pixels (megapixels). Image can be 10 megapixels but as JPG's are compressed the filesize or amount of space needed to store the information depends on the level of compression and the amount of detail in the picture. A 10mp image on best quality could be very small for an image of say smooth white plastic, whereas macro of rough texture like bricks may be three times the filesize.

Rgds
Phil
10-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
different specs

Jpegs are compressed. They take up less room than raw. You are confusing two different specs. The K10D uses 10MP to record a scene. This is true in raw or highest quality jpeg. The file size is a different number. It is megabytes not megapixels. Your numbers are about right for highest quality jpeg. Raw can be around 10-13mb. All cameras shoot at least a little better quality in raw. Hope this helps. Don't worry - enjoy the camera!
thanks
barondla
10-04-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, thank you both, barondla and philmorley, your explanations have helped clarified things for me. I am somewhat relieved, as I was sure that because the file size was not 10 megs, that I or the camera was doing something wrong.

I know that when I scan from a negative or slide at 2710 dpi, the file sizes created are huge, in the range of 25 megs. That's what had me thinking.

Thanks again.

JMR

10-04-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to be clear, JPEG is a compression tool that uses the information in the picture in order to compress the file. When you compress the file with JPEG some image quality is lost. When you select highest JPEG quality, you have the lowest amount of loss, but this results in bigger file sizes than when you select Lowest quality.

You need to be careful, as some programs offer minimum and maximum compression, where minimum compression = highest quality and maximum compression = lowest quality.