Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Class of SDHC card for K-x

Just purchased a K-x from a memeber of this web site, should arrive tomorrow.
I'm looking for recomendations for the class of SD card to use. I take a lot of
pictures of birds in flight so it's important I have something that will write fast, but don't want to pay for a card that's faster than the camera can write to it. A quick check on line got me answers of class 6 to class 10. If a class six card can keep up with the camera's write speed I'd go with that, rather than buy a card that
wouldn't do any better than a six in my camera

Bob

01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Class 6 should do fine, however, depending on brand and deal the price difference might be minimal and a class 10 card would in all likelyhood be faster and hence more convenient when downloading the pictures to the computer. At least the Transcend cards sold through Amazon would seem to be that way (currently 24$ vs 28$ for a 16G card).
01-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm I'd like to add a question here regarding the cards.. does the v1.01 firmware update for the K-x also makes it support SDXC cards?
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

I have from day 1 on k-x a 4 gb class 6 A-Data card (cheap), never had a problem with it. Tried one of the "pro", extreme III, also 4 gb from a friend, did not saw big improvement (tested high speed shooting). And for the difference in price i can wait one more minute for the pictures to download on computer

01-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No support for SDXC card for K-X

I used TRanscend class 10 and work very well and are cheap
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Class 10 cards by Transcend or Patriot are cheap and reliable. If you search the forums, a lot of problems have ironically been with San Disk Extreme cards failing. Anyhow, you can find 8gb Class 10 cards by the brands I mentioned from $13-18 at Fry's, Newegg, or Amazon.
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
No support for SDXC card for K-X

I used TRanscend class 10 and work very well and are cheap
Thanks for the answer! Hope it can be included in the next firmware update... if there will be another one for the K-x.

01-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #8

I haven't had any problems using Class 4 cards in the KX, including frequently shooting video. That being said, I almost always shoot JPEG rather than RAW, but it's not like your going to get a high FPS shooting RAW with the KX no matter what class of card you put in it. At least not a deal-breaker difference. Lately the price difference between Class 4 and 6 or even 10 (especially in 4 and 8gb capacities) has been negligible to the point that it almost makes the decision for you.