Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20D aperture wheel feels stiff? The front wheel feels much smoother...

So I just got a Used K20D from Adorama and its in pretty well condition, only 3640 shutters, body looks new, only a couple tiny scratches on the screen, but I noticed that the aperture wheel is stiff, like sometimes it does not want to move unless I force it and thus it overshoots...will this get looser as I use it being that the camera was obviously not used much according to the shutter count? How was your K20D when you got it?

If not I am not sure of what to do, I love everything else about it but it is actually making my thumb a bit sore....Will Adorama fix this since I bought it from them instead of me just returning it? It was rated Excellent Plus on the used rating list.

Last edited by Abstract; 01-06-2011 at 09:12 PM.
01-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The E-Dials should not be stiff to turn. You should feel click stops as you turn them but nothing that would make you sore from trying to use the camera. I would contact Adorama about it and see what they are going to do for you. I'm betting on a return but maybe they'll somehow provide a Warranty so you can get it fixed (that's the only way I would keep it).

Good luck.

01-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Man I am having bad luck camera wise...K-5 was faulty, got this and more problems, hey least there is no stains on the K20D( I actually checked haha). Shame, I actually love the feel of this camera...Don't think they have any other used ones there. I ordered online, but I am assuming I can take it in to the store also...
01-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I consider myself to be quite lucky in that respect. I typically buy new but I've not experienced many reported problems with my cameras. I'm due though and thought I might have had a stained K5 but apparently I don't.

Adorama has a presence here and she'll probably see your post but you can contact her first.

View Profile: Helen Oster - PentaxForums.com

She seems pretty willing to work with people so you might try writing her directly..

01-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just sent her an email, thanks a bunch for that!
01-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmm well she does not seem to be responding...I am gonna go in sunday, odd thing though, I was outside in the cold all day taking photos with it and it worked flawlessly...then when I go into my heated house and it warmed up it became stiff again...never saw anything like this.
01-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Hmm well she does not seem to be responding...I am gonna go in sunday, odd thing though, I was outside in the cold all day taking photos with it and it worked flawlessly...then when I go into my heated house and it warmed up it became stiff again...never saw anything like this.
That makes perfect sense, if you consider thermal expansion. I can only imagine that the dial expands more than the body, and hence it tightens up.

My dials are definitely tighter than the one I had on the K-x, but definitely not to the point where I'll have a sore thumb or overshoot by turning it so hard. Best of luck in getting this resolved!

01-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
That makes perfect sense, if you consider thermal expansion. I can only imagine that the dial expands more than the body, and hence it tightens up.

My dials are definitely tighter than the one I had on the K-x, but definitely not to the point where I'll have a sore thumb or overshoot by turning it so hard. Best of luck in getting this resolved!
Hmm did not think of that...Shame, I am guessing its unfixable....yeah it gets pretty stuck.

Thanks though.
01-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote

Sorry I only work an hour or two Friday mornings and not at all on Saturday.

Please email me your order number and I'll have a pre-paid label sent to you so you can return it to us.