Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Ivan,

I can't get this to work on my K10D, tried everything. Tried everything, and nothing happens...

08-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by michael-murray Quote
Ivan,

I can't get this to work on my K10D, tried everything. Tried everything, and nothing happens...
I have not tried this yet but a friend wrote it and says it works...
1, On your computer open up a new Notepad file. In the body of the new file type exactly the following, including the brackets as shown below:

[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

2. Save the file with this name:

MODSET

3. Transfer the MODSET file onto the sd card you will be using in your K10D. Place the file into the main opening of the file, NOT into any picture folders on the card.

4. Ok, now this is where a lot of people get it wrong and end up thinking they can't get debug mode to work. The MODSET file must have the cursor set on the next text line, as if after you typed the text you hit "Enter". However, even if you hit enter after the text and save the file, when you open up the file the cursor will still be back at the beginning of the text. So here is the trick: you must put the file on your sd card, then put the card in your camera, then connect you camera to the computer like you normally would to access the sd card, and while connected to your computer, get in and open up the MODSET file on the sd card. Once in the file put your cursor to the end of the text, hit enter and save. Now it will be saved the correct way. Close out and disconnect camera from computer.

5. With the camera off, open the sd card door on the camera and leave open. Turn on camera. If the lcd screen flickers for a second and then nothing at all happens, your file isn't saved right and it won't work, so you'll have to go back and check the MODSET file. But if everything is correct, then when you turn the camera on with sd door open you should get a new menu screen...

6. At the DEBUG MODE entry right toggle to change DIS to EN and hit OK which will activate the mode. Once that is set to EN, turn camera off. Close sd door.

7. Now, when you turn the camera on you'll get the same menu startup screen with debug mode engaged, just hit ok and you'll have a black screen with Debug Mode in the upper left corner. You can still hit Menu and do all the normal stuff you always do so it's ok.

8. So to tweak the autofocus, hit Menu, get to your "Set-up" tab and then toggle up. Debug Mode has added a new set of menu commands at the end of the Set-up tab list.

Toggle up to highlight "AF TEST" as shown in picture and toggle Right to enter this section.

9. Once in, you'll see the following:

Toggle down to highlight "Focus Corr" as shown in the picture. Now, all you have to do is toggle right to add + "um" (whatever that is) if you are having a problem with the K10D focusing behind your target (backfocusing) or toggle left to subtract - um if you the camera/lens focuses in front of the target. Note: Adding or substracting um is a cummulative effect, so watch your total ums. And from what I've read, everyone seems to find a different setting that works specifically for them or their particular lens. For me, I was having back focusing problems, and +90 um pretty much corrected my issues.

So, there you have it. As far as Debug Mode on your camera, once you engage it the mode will remain activated, even if you don't have the MODSET file on your sd card. If you choose to disengage the Debug Mode, just turn on your camera with the sd door open and the file on your card and choose DIS at the open menu for DEBUG MODE.
Good luck, I will eventually try this but busy at the moment...
07-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tried the above, repeatedly and with numerous re-edits of the MODSET.txt file, and I can conform the findings of 5shot; it does not work with version 1.31 of the K10D firmware. When I power on, with the SD card door open and the MODSET.txt file in the root of the SD card, the camera LCD flickers briefly and that's it.

The only thing I can think of is that I am attempting this on a Mac using a basic third party text editor called Notepad (by Kupon.BG). Does anyone think it would be worth trying again on a Windows computer?
02-18-2014, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #19

I can definitely confirm that it works with my K10D and firmware 1.31.

Create the file MODSET.TXT (not only MODSET as described above) on SD card with following content:
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

The text must end with an ASCII ceriage return / line feed LR LF (that is hex code 0D 0A)

I made it by editing the file while the sd card was in the K10D and the camera was connected via USB. I used the ordinary Windows notepad.
After safing the file disconnect the camera and switch off. The debug menu opens now when you start the camera with open sd card door.