Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Back to Pentax with a K-x

Well, I just got myself a K-x and with that, I'm officially a Pentaxian again. I used to be an occasional poster/frequent lurker back then. I got drawn in by the E-P1 and thought I didn't need DSLRs anymore, so I sold all of my Pentax gear, though I kept a 50/1.4 (for sentimental purposes, really, as it was a gift) and an M42 converter (forgot that I had it).

Well, the E-P1 is still a fine camera, and it's still here with me, but there are times when I just feel like I miss looking through an optical viewfinder, and honestly, the lenses available for m43 are still paltry and expensive (for me).

I also miss Pentax's image engine and exposure metering, and oftentimes I'd open up my photo archives and look wistfully at the photos I took using a Pentax. Maybe it's a matter of me regressing as a photographer (which I would not object to), but I will say that some of my better work was done with a Pentax. Maybe it's simply a matter of being more comfy with Pentax ergonomics which made me more enthusiastic about taking photos. But anyway, put it simply, I miss shooting with a Pentax.

So yeah, I bought the K-x yesterday, after deliberating if maybe I should go with other systems (I did have a relatively clean slate). For the record, I've shot with most DSLR systems save Sony/KM, so I'm mostly familiar with each of their quirks. As with the K10D that started me off with Pentax, though, I still feel that Pentax offers the most bang for the buck, and as mentioned earlier, I love the photos I took with a Pentax.

Well, the AF speed was a revelation, being used to the slower AF in the K20D. The images, fantastic, as was to be expected. The familiar ergonomics are still there, and I'm quite pleased that the metering using manual lenses are more accurate than I remembered it. I have no regrets with the K-x save for one: I wish I got the white model.

One last thing. I miss the K10D and I'll probably get one once a good deal presents itself. With weather people predicting more rains where I am, it won't be simply a matter of nostalgia for me.

Anyway, I'll look for an empty seat in this forum and try to fit in once again. I see a whole lot of new faces and a lot of familiar ones. Hello and good day to you all. It's great to be back.

01-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum and welcome back to Pentax.

We look forward to see your shots.....
01-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back. It is definitely a great camera.
01-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! The weather's not very cooperative right now where I am, hopefully this coming weekend would be kinder for me to go around.

01-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

welcome back. I'm picking my k-x today. Great to hear good feedback about the camera.
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back vinzer

It's good to see some of the old posters coming back. Escape is futile.
Enjoy your new K-x, and revel in it's high ISO capabilities.

NaCl(and check out the new K-5)H2O
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome, I have had my K-x for three weeks now and am still impressed at the results of my images, it is my first DSLR I used to shoot with an ME Super film camera and have a few lenses left over to use on my KX, I proudly display my ME Super on my shelve in my office as a reminder as to where I came from. The first thing I noticed that I really love about a DSLR is how quick it is, it is am awesome feeling to know that the instant I push the shutter release button I instantly get the picture, instead of with the P&S camera that I am used to that takes about 1/2 of a second to actually take the picture.

01-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I just purchased my first Pentax, the K-X. I am really looking forward to learning how to use it. I will be back with a ton of questions, I'm sure.
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
antzutd: Thanks and congrats on your own purchase! From the limited time I had shooting my new K-x (why does work have to get in the way of hobbies? ), I'm floored by the image quality. For my relatively modest needs, I'm even okay with using ISO 12800. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Consider the white version, though. It's the one regret I have.

Salty: You know it! For the record, though, I always kept an eye on Pentax developments even while I was away. Glad to see that Hoya's taking good care of our investments. And yes, I will take your suggestion with regards to reveling in the K-x's high ISO performance. I'm ecstatic with it right now.

BirdDude007: Agreed. I haven't used an ME Super yet, though I hear good things about it. Whenever I get the film itch, I still have a KX on hand, with the meter still working and all. It's hard to go back when you get used to shooting with the speed of a DSLR (regardless of brand) - at least you don't have to wait for negatives.

specbil98: Take your time, friend. Though I'll make a point that Pentax does have intuitive ergonomics, so it won't be a steep learning curve for an eager learner such as yourself. The folks here in PF are awesome people and willing to extend a hand towards people looking for help. We're on a pay-it-back-and-forward basis, from my experience.
01-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
antzutd: Thanks and congrats on your own purchase! From the limited time I had shooting my new K-x (why does work have to get in the way of hobbies? ), I'm floored by the image quality. For my relatively modest needs, I'm even okay with using ISO 12800. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Consider the white version, though. It's the one regret I have.
i've got mine yesterday, and today finally i had time to update the firmware (success!!!) and begin to play with it a bit! like you, my work gets into the way of my hobby big time. but i have to say, after 2 hours of playing with it, i am impress by the auto focus speed and the image quality!

about the white version, my sister (the family's fashion police) was very disapproved of it. i don't know why, but to save myself from an earful of 'constructive criticism' from my sister. i've finally decided to go for the black one.
01-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

I've owned Canon, Nikon and Olympus dslr's. The K-x is my first Pentax and I love the image quality. I bought it with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. They seem to be decent lenses but will probably upgrade them eventually. I'm kind of looking at the 17-70mm for the normal zoom. I wonder if the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8-4.5 OS HSM lens would be any better than the kit lens? I'm also looking forward to trying some of the old mf lenses.
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antzutd Quote
i've got mine yesterday, and today finally i had time to update the firmware (success!!!) and begin to play with it a bit! like you, my work gets into the way of my hobby big time. but i have to say, after 2 hours of playing with it, i am impress by the auto focus speed and the image quality!

about the white version, my sister (the family's fashion police) was very disapproved of it. i don't know why, but to save myself from an earful of 'constructive criticism' from my sister. i've finally decided to go for the black one.
I agree, the AF speed is impressive. I'm sure Nikon can Canon's AF systems are better (I haven't tried their latest and greatest yet), but for my own modest needs, well, it's more than enough. Definitely faster than the previous generation of Pentax DSLRs, for sure.

You might come to regret caving into your sister's pressure. LOL. But yeah, high-five for the K-x! Or fist bump.
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
I've owned Canon, Nikon and Olympus dslr's. The K-x is my first Pentax and I love the image quality. I bought it with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. They seem to be decent lenses but will probably upgrade them eventually. I'm kind of looking at the 17-70mm for the normal zoom. I wonder if the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8-4.5 OS HSM lens would be any better than the kit lens? I'm also looking forward to trying some of the old mf lenses.
Yeah, the image quality is what keeps most people here in the system. I'm undecided yet if I'll get Pentax's 17-70 or Sigma's 17-70 (faster on the wide end, a bit slower on the tele end - is this the lens you're referring to?). I'm thinking that with the good IQ (personal opinion) I'm getting at ISO 3200 and 6400 (I'll even go to 12800 willingly), I may not need f/2.8 all that much, though still considering it.

Old lenses are a hoot! I'm sure you'd be able to get some gems for cheap. Go for it.
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for a replacement for the kit lens the Tamron 17-50 (or 28-75) 1:2.8 would be a worthy thing to consider, price is not bad and IQ is quite excellent (with both). Sigma 17-50 1:2.8 and Pentax 16-50 1:2.8 also enjoy a good reputation, but are more taxing on the purse.
01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Forum Member

I have looked at both the Pentax and the Sigma 17-70mm lenses. The price is about the same and they both have a built in focus motor. The latest version of the Sigma has built in stabilization. I like the fact that the effect of lens based stabilization is visible in the viewfinder and might even be slightly better than body based. Image quality concerns me more than anything else and from what I have seen and read they are pretty close in that regard also. The earlier versions of the Sigma lens without OS would cost less so there is another option.

I owned the last version made of the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM lens for Nikon and loved the sharpness and contrast of that lens. I had the Canon version of the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 a few years ago and was very happy with it except being a little long at the wide end.

Then there is the new 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 OS HSM Sigma which can be bought for less than $200. What about it the Pentax 16-45mm f/4? Should I be looking at it also? Why do I do this to myself??? I love it - that's why!

With all these choices I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. I like the wider range of 17-70mm and if the image quality is as good as the shorter lenses then this is what I want. I may not know for sure until I try one. Until then the kit lens will do just fine.