Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ist series cameras

After weighing all the pros and cons I have pretty much made up my mind to go with a used Pentax over the Canon 350d I had originaly started looking for. A little while ago I posted a question about the k100d and k110d cameras and thought I had pretty much nailed it down to go with either of those. Recently however someone suggested to me that I look into the ist series and in particular the IST DS (if I recall correctly). I see that it's a fairly early model of Pentax DSLR although it got good reviews. It was replaced by the K series but was supposed to have some good points that were left out or changed in later entry level cameras. There must be some members here who own one and I'd really like to get some feedback. I will probably use it for a year or so and then either sell it or keep it as a backup and go with one of the weather resistant cameras. My old camera (non dslr) bit the dust so I'd like to pick up a replacement soon.

01-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am not so sure the advantages/disadvantages myself, but If you like the idea of weather resistant some guy on Ebay sells them new for like 379 which is pretty low, no clue what your budget is though. Pentax *ist will probably run you 100-150 less though I assume which is nice so if its a fit, go for it...Just a thought.
01-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All the later *ist cameras were just cut down versions of the original *istD. The original is the one to get if you are looking at one of the first generation Pentax DSLRs. This way you will get a pentaprism viewfinder, optional battery grip, and other pro features.
01-09-2011, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

*ist DS, *ist DL, *ist DS2, *ist DL2, K100D, K110D and K100D Super are basically the same hardware platform with minor variations, but they all share the same 6MP sensor so expect identical image quality from all of them.

K100D adds shake reduction, K100D Super also support for SDM lenses.

I have *ist DS and I am not willing to part with it. It is very simple camera to use, small and easy to carry around, and with great image quality. Compared to the latest bodies, AF is slower, there is no wireless flash support, color LCD screen is smaller, slowish continuous FPS rate (but I never use it), no shake reduction (although it is added to K100D).

If you can find one lightly used, or any from 6MP family, get it. Perhaps avoid *ist DL/DL2 (no AF point indicators and a few other corners cut).

Just recalled, you can go here and check the differences:

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

01-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
All the later *ist cameras were just cut down versions of the original *istD. The original is the one to get if you are looking at one of the first generation Pentax DSLRs. This way you will get a pentaprism viewfinder, optional battery grip, and other pro features.
*ist DS/DS2 retained pentaprism, but the rest of the 6MP bodies are indeed with pentamirror and somewhat smaller and darker viewfinders.
01-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're after TTL flash capability, then the *ist D (best of the series) or *ist DS is the way to go. But if this isn't a concern, then I'd suggest the K100D Super.
01-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're after TTL flash capability, then the *ist D (best of the series) or *ist DS is the way to go. But if this isn't a concern, then I'd suggest the K100D Super.
+1

The *istD is the camera to get for TTL flash and legacy glass. Otherwise step up to the 10pm bodies

01-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

When my wife wanted to get into photography, we bought her a used *istD. It is a great little camera! It's every bit as solidly built as my K10D. I only have two small gripes with it. #1 is that it uses Compact Flash cards. That's not a huge issue, but it means she and I can't swap cards. #2 is it's write speed. It seems to take forever for the pic to come up on the LCD. Even with those minor quibbles, my secret plan is to buy her a new Kx (she wants a pink one) so that I can steal her *istD to use as my carry-around camera.
01-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
it uses Compact Flash cards. That's not a huge issue, but it means she and I can't swap cards.
Yes you can - get a CF-SD card adaptor.

01-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Yes you can - get a CF-SD card adaptor.
That's what I use , but I also have 20gig CF