Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D back from dead/hot pixel repair

I finally got my K10D back from Pentax! I sent the camera off at the very end of August and got it back today (Oct 4th) The packing slip included with my camera said this...

"We completed an evaluation of your product and have run a program designed to eliminate "hot" pixels. It is not uncommon for a sensor with millions of light sensitive areas to have this phenomenon."

The hot/dead pixels are all gone, just out of curiosity I took a 10+ sec shot with the lens cap on and noise reduction turned off... Opened the pic in photoshop and played with the image, no dead/hot pixels.... So for anyone thinking of sending the camera off for this... they will fix it for free if its under the one year warranty... however your going to be without your camera for a while lol... From what ive heard you can expedite the process to 10 days for a 40 dollar fee.... anyhow, just thought id pass this along for what its worth.

10-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes they are not too fast. I mailed mine out on August 14 and just got it back last Friday afternoon. The sensor was replaced...six weeks from start to finish!
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a stuck flash on the hot shoe, so I requested expedited repair for $40. Took them 8 days from the time they received it, till it was back in my hands, and that included a weekend.

So YMMV, although not everyone wants to pay the little extra. BTW, that includes them shipping it back on a 2-day shipment.
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds like it's worth the $40.00 to me to speed up the processing. I've got one dead pixel but have just been living with it because I don't want to be left without my camera. I guess I could go back to my ME Super while its gone.

It is good to know they were able to easily fix the problem.

10-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I would have known about the $40 because I would have gladly paid it to cut down the time!
10-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just received my back not long ago, sent it for free cleaning under warranty (first year only), and while at it, asked for one dinky hot pixel to be mapped-out (only because was sending camera anyway), otherwise, it never bothered me personally, since after RAW-jpeg conversion it was never visible.

And yes, it took them a while, good thing for backup K100D, my now full time macro photo camera!

Regards,
D
10-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I am having a similar problem ( I think) Does anyone know what the cost is if the camera is out of warranty?