Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is your money. A new shutter cost me $325 cdn 18 months ago in my K10. So if you think there is a 1/3 chance or worse of shutter failure go for the warranty if not don't
Yeah I am gonna go with it just so I do not worry, thanks, Can I ask what your shutter was at when it died?

01-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
So I should ignore this site that just scared me? pentax k20d | Camera Shutter Life Database haha.

That site seems to me, to be a perfect example of the old dictum (sometimes attributed to Mark Twain), that "there are lies, DAMNED LIES, and STATISTICS!!

With only 3 dead cameras, the statistics mean nothing. We don't even know that it was the shutter that died. If could have been the internal electronics. Even if it was the shutter, I'm sure that you could find more than three cameras that were dead, straight out of the box. Does that prove that all Pentax cameras are DOA? Of course not.

Seriously, it IS a good example of why everyone should have some exposure to statistics in high school. Statistics are an extremely useful tool, IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING. Too many people create statistics like that site, with no real understanding, and then try to use it to "prove" something. Many readers, equally ignorant of statistics (and its limitations), believe the "proof". After all, numbers don't lie!
01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
That site seems to me, to be a perfect example of the old dictum (sometimes attributed to Mark Twain), that "there are lies, DAMNED LIES, and STATISTICS!!

With only 3 dead cameras, the statistics mean nothing. We don't even know that it was the shutter that died. If could have been the internal electronics. Even if it was the shutter, I'm sure that you could find more than three cameras that were dead, straight out of the box. Does that prove that all Pentax cameras are DOA? Of course not.

Seriously, it IS a good example of why everyone should have some exposure to statistics in high school. Statistics are an extremely useful tool, IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING. Too many people create statistics like that site, with no real understanding, and then try to use it to "prove" something. Many readers, equally ignorant of statistics (and its limitations), believe the "proof". After all, numbers don't lie!
Yeah I am not one that is well taught in anything number related, it happens to be my weakness actually, thanks for clearing that up more. But yeah sites like this should not exist I suppose, gives a bad representation of the camera. Especially since not everyone is fluent in statistics, at least from my point of view. Thanks.
01-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Yeah I am gonna go with it just so I do not worry, thanks, Can I ask what your shutter was at when it died?
Just over 10k but they replaced the mirror assembly and the lens mount. Makes me think it was shock damage. The trailing curtain was leaving early

01-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just over 10k but they replaced the mirror assembly and the lens mount. Makes me think it was shock damage. The trailing curtain was leaving early
Hmm yeah that seems like it was something else....Sorry to hear that happened...
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
There are issues other than shutter count that may have greater impact on the quality of a used camera. I just purchased a K20D with around 9300 clicks from a forum member with a good reputation, who was also the original owner. And I put more weight on those two facts than how many time the shutter had fired. If you don't see one offered in the marketplace, just post a wanted ad. I did and several offers were made in a short period of time....
Either way, take the plunge as the K20D is a great camera, and good luck.
01-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Seriously, it IS a good example of why everyone should have some exposure to statistics in high school. Statistics are an extremely useful tool, IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING.
I agree entirely! My statistical training has helped me better understand data and frame up issues in a way that helps me know what is really at stake.

As for the shutter count, for a camera rated at 100,000+ activations, less than 10K is really good; 10 K to 25 K should be okay (providing all else is okay also); 25-50 K - accept the camera if all works fine, possibly get a warranty, and expect a somewhat lower price. At 50 K shutter activations - camera is 50% used up and for a 3 year old camera would have been worked somewhat hard to get that many activations by now. I'm not sure I would consider a camera with over 50K shutter activations - maybe if I knew the seller and camera history and got a deal.

01-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shutter count is like mileage on a car. It is an important factor but there are so many other factors involved like proper care and abuse. I've seen cars on sale with only 5,000 miles on them, but most were in a drag strip, 1/4 mile at a time. That is more wear and abuse than 50,000 miles by the provervial old lady who used the car only to get groceries.
My K100D Super has just past the 25,000 shutter actuations and it is still going as strong as ever. The K20D should be even stronger.

Thanks,