Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K7 Dynamic Range - beyond the charts

While I see so many charts and discussion on K-7 having lower DR compared to k-x, I haven't see any realistic comparison pictures demonstrating K-x superiority over k-7.

Would really love to see some samples - how and where k-x DR looks better. Just pictures, no charts

01-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

This is a interesting idea, I to wonder its advantage over the K7 and K20D. Wonder how much an advantage the K-x has in normal everyday use.
01-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
you need a raw file from each. the difference is fairly large ~2ev so it will be obvious enough when there is detail in the raw shadows on the K-x that is just noise on the K-7
01-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I don't own both cameras, so I can't help you with comparison photos, but it is really clear when it comes to high iso shooting. When the K7 gets over iso 1600, even when you eliminate noise, photos tend to look flat with washed out colors. The problem is that even though the dynamic range is adequate at lower isos, you lose it with higher iso.

01-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For we daytime shooters who most regularly shoot between iso 100-1600, the differences are only in the numbers, very little difference with the eyes. Of course the power of suggestion is strong in some minds and there are those who are convinced the K-7 is crap compared to the K-x and the K-5. WYSIWYG.

Jason
01-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Right, I am not worried about high ISO, even on k-x, my max ISO is 1600. So the real question, for a well exposed scene in day light, how the better DR of k-x compared to k-7. I am sure many people here have both k-x & k-7, would be an interesting comparison at lower ISO.
01-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Imaging resource run standardised tests for this issue :

K7 Digital Cameras, Pentax K7 Digital Camera Test Image

KX Digital Cameras, Pentax K-x Digital Camera Test Image

You'll be looking for differences in shadow and highlight detail. Do the shadows roll off smoothly or suddenly become 'blocked off'.

I think when people talk about the DR advantages of the newer sensors, they mainly mean the hidden dynamic range which can be unlocked through PP, rather than what you can see in a well exposed shot which presents less of a challenge.
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Imaging resource run standardised tests for this issue :

K7 Digital Cameras, Pentax K7 Digital Camera Test Image

KX Digital Cameras, Pentax K-x Digital Camera Test Image

You'll be looking for differences in shadow and highlight detail. Do the shadows roll off smoothly or suddenly become 'blocked off'.

I think when people talk about the DR advantages of the newer sensors, they mainly mean the hidden dynamic range which can be unlocked through PP, rather than what you can see in a well exposed shot which presents less of a challenge.
I dunno, judging by those two examples, maybe the K-7 has a little more detail throughout...or maybe I just want it to win? Either way, it's a coin toss and only those who sit up at night gauging these things could ever possibly tell any difference (and even then I'd be suspect).

Jason

01-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I dunno, judging by those two examples, maybe the K-7 has a little more detail throughout...or maybe I just want it to win? Either way, it's a coin toss and only those who sit up at night gauging these things could ever possibly tell any difference (and even then I'd be suspect).

Jason
I see it to, the K7 seems cleaner and a bit more detailed. Not by much, but it is there.
01-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would have guessed the K-7 image was the K-x, and vice versa... cos I read that the K-x tends to clip highlights, and the K-7 image is slightly more burned out on the white blouse.

But yeah other than that it's a toss up!

I am guessing the true difference would show up of you pushed the shadows in PP. I know my K-7 doesn't take kindly to that! I guess there's still a use for those ND grads for those of us without a K5...
01-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

To my idea the K-7 has better image quality over the K-x. Even winning in some hi iso settings.
01-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Right, I am not worried about high ISO, even on k-x, my max ISO is 1600. So the real question, for a well exposed scene in day light, how the better DR of k-x compared to k-7. I am sure many people here have both k-x & k-7, would be an interesting comparison at lower ISO.
I have both cameras and prefer the images from the k7 because they look more realistic. K-x photos are great too but I think there is greater detail in the k7. I haven't done a scientific test, and if I need high ISO I use the k-x a little more. I can tell which camera I used just by looking at a photo in print or on the computer so there is a difference. The k-r & k5 are obviously better wrt their sensors but I'm very happy with the k7 & k-x. I have several older Sony cameras and the k-x photos look very similar, I'm sure because of the sensor. Having used ASA 200 film most of my life I have learned how to work at lower ISO's. I'm sure there is a difference in DR between the camera's/sensor's but they don't appear significant to me for the type of photography I'm doing right now.
01-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
JHD
Veteran Member

I have both cameras and man I don't even have an opinion.