Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am sure if Pentax releases a mirrorless camera, they will release an adapter to allow the use of both K mount and screw mount lenses. At the same time, I imagine that they would not have auto focus capability, unless they have in lens motors. The idea of sticking a screw drive motor in such a tiny camera is unlikely.

01-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I don't know much about cameras. Except taking wildlife photos.
I am wondering if Pentax comes out with a 4/3 system will the k-mount lenses fit it and work with af?
If so that will be great. I looked at olympus and think within 10 years this is where I might head for light weight systems.
Judging by photos on flickr, 4/3rd cameras have to much noise for me but sensors are getting better. Olympus crops the sides off creating an equivalent of a 4"X5" photo and this wouldn't be a perfect fit for many of my butterfly shots. Pentax has a patent on a 4/3rds design but I suspect they hold some patents for leverage purposes when dealing with other companies or in case they really need to use them one day.
01-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Pentax has a patent on a 4/3rds design but I suspect they hold some patents for leverage purposes when dealing with other companies or in case they really need to use them one day.
I've heard about those 4/3rds patents as well (including some patents on 4/3rds lenses); perhaps it is just for leverage, but I wouldn't be surprised that, if they do choose to enter the mirrorless market, they will go the 4/3rds route. Pentax has made it quite clear in interviews that, if they do go mirrorless, they will try to do something to distinguish their product from the rest of the pack; and what better way to distinguish themselves than to introduce the smallest mirrorless interchangable lens system (which necessitate 4/3rds rather than APS-C)? After all, trying to make cameras and lenses as small as possible has been a Pentax ideal at least since the late 70s. We see it in the M series of cameras and lenses, in Pentax's 110 SLR system, and in some of the things they've done in their APS-C DSLR system. So I wouldn't assume that Pentax would never pursue a 4/3rd system. If they go mirrorless, they're going to have to introduce a new lens system in any case. The only question is whether the company is large enough to introduce a 3rd lens system.
01-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I've heard about those 4/3rds patents as well (including some patents on 4/3rds lenses); perhaps it is just for leverage, but I wouldn't be surprised that, if they do choose to enter the mirrorless market, they will go the 4/3rds route. Pentax has made it quite clear in interviews that, if they do go mirrorless, they will try to do something to distinguish their product from the rest of the pack; and what better way to distinguish themselves than to introduce the smallest mirrorless interchangable lens system (which necessitate 4/3rds rather than APS-C)? After all, trying to make cameras and lenses as small as possible has been a Pentax ideal at least since the late 70s. We see it in the M series of cameras and lenses, in Pentax's 110 SLR system, and in some of the things they've done in their APS-C DSLR system. So I wouldn't assume that Pentax would never pursue a 4/3rd system. If they go mirrorless, they're going to have to introduce a new lens system in any case. The only question is whether the company is large enough to introduce a 3rd lens system.
My $$$ is that the Pentax uniqueness will be an APS-C sensor with an M43 mount plus fully functional K-mount adapter. The sensor is cropped when you mount M43 lenses but is full APS-C when you use the adapter. How cool would that be? But is it even possible?