Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kx + ???

Hello all. I currently own a white kx, and I absolutely love it. For my purposes its almost perfect. I would like to add an additional camera to the bag though. I was thinking along the lines of a K10d but from some of the reviews I have read it almost seems like the Kx is a step up from the K10d. I would mainly be using it for jobs while the kx would be more for personal/ fun. The two things I really like about the k10 is the ability to use a battery grip, as well as the weather resistant features.

Just from those who have owned both, are they comparable, or will I feel like things are lacking when I put the kx down and pick up the k10? Should I look more at the k20? The k7 is a little (alot) out of my price range.

Advice?

01-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have both and can say that the k10d is very different from the k-x but a great camera as well.

I'm a relative newbie and use the k-x primarily but the things I like about the k10d include:
brighter viewfinder is a pleasure to use
quieter shutter
dual wheels make manual control easy
front and back ir capability for remote shooting
cabled remote and tethered shooting capabilities allow for more flexibility
weather resistance with the right lenses
top lcd display so don't have to use rear display much
Li batteries go forever
construction feels more solid than the k-x

Things that are not so great:
white balance programming is not as good as the k-x
menus are less user friendly than the k-x
low light/high iso doesnt hold a candle to the k-x so I use it mainly for daylight outdoors

I like having them both and I think the two cameras complement each other well. In my opinion the combination of the two exceeds what a k-7 or k-r alone could provide.

The k20d may have addresed some of the issues I have with the k10d.
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

i think the k 20 primarily improved on the iso of your complaints. i've seen some pretty hot pricing on the k20 lately (i almost went to that but got a price on the K7 i was happy with. I own the K10 and it has been an excellent machine, but after a month of shooting the k7 i have little desire to pick it up again (heavy, poorer high iso are the main reasons, and i don't see anything so far that the 7 isn't doing). I will likely sell it on to a friend with the grip and save for a k5 down the road
as a complement to the kx though it would be a good camera (the lack of selective focus is why i returned a kx i bought last June, it was the one thing i truly missed, but the 2 wheel control is also better, and it is better for manual focus as well, though would be better with a split image prism)
good luck with whichever you choose
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Eddie, you reminded me of the weight difference. I don't notice it much because I use some heavier lenses on the k-x and usually have the WR 18-55 on the k10d so they kinda balance out. If the OP is planning to use with a grip it should be taken into account.

01-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I plan on using a grip. (my main annoyance of the kx) so maybe ill start comparing k10 to k20 and see where I go from there... Anyone with experience with both there?
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually with the grip my k 10 is perfectly balanced with my sigma 24-70 which is pretty heavy, it's unbalance on thek7 (I've ordered a grip for this reason alone. Wih all my Manual lenses the k7 is my preference and i am shooting primarily old m lenses now days unless i need AF
01-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Check this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/126780-k20d-versus-k10d.html
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks alot crewl1!
I couldn't really afford the K10, now you have me talked into the K20... I will give your email to my wife so she can have someone to yell at when the visa bill comes in next week.

01-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Thanks alot crewl1!
I couldn't really afford the K10, now you have me talked into the K20... I will give your email to my wife so she can have someone to yell at when the visa bill comes in next week.

hahaha welcome to my world
01-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, that's my combination too. K-x and K20D.
Second hand the K20D should be quite attractive financially.
01-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My problem is, I can probably do about $200-250 tops.. Thats like the K10 range, K20's are in the $400 range (used prices)... obviously I could wait a few weeks and get $400 together, but not sure what i "need" at this point.
Logically my mind says that in order of performance it goes K10d, KX, K20d, K7. (not that this is correct, just how i see it) so with a KX already, am I "stepping down" to a K10? It feels like I would be trading performance for upper LCD screen, Batt grip capabilities, and weather resistance with the K10. Where as with the K20 it would be a step up all around...
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll be 'stepping down' in terms of ISO performance and autofocus speed.
Otherwise, it's a decent consideration. Nevertheless, if you don't need a backup body immediately, you can always wait and see whilst you save to know what you really want. The only reason I'd consider a K10D over a K20D would be for long exposures (greater than 30 seconds).
01-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Thanks alot crewl1!
Didn't mean to, sorry. Please, I have my own wife to keep me on my toes, don't need other's yelling at me

I acquired my k10d as part of a package deal while adddressing some LBA issues, not sure I would have searched it out specifically but I'm glad to have it.

Hope you wind up with something that serves your needs. (pssst...there's a k20d in the marketplace right now...)