Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tell me good reasons for upgrading

to K10D over my K100D.

I found one of the above for under $300.

01-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
to K10D over my K100D.

I found one of the above for under $300.
I just went through this exercise and bought a nice used K20D. I am very happy with the decision. Although the K10D gives you more features and higher resolution, it wasn't a big enough improvement for me. The K20D used or refurnished is today's real bargain. It has the K7 sensor and does everything beautifully. There is a K10D listed for just over $200 in market place. They are both great cameras, but the K20D beats the K10D if the price is right.

Dave
01-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K20D is higher priced than the K10D was, so if I'm going pay more than $400 for K20D it would be better for me to just invest in a K-X instead.
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You may find limited with K-10D when it stars showing noise after ISO 640 .

01-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

K20D is higher priced than the K10D was, so if I'm going pay more than $400 for K20D it would be better for me to just invest in a K-X instead.
Having never owned the K100d, take this for whatever it's worth to you.

The K10d is weather sealed,
a higher capacity sensor,
more solidly built,
Greater control of settings for exposure (two E-Dials, a Huge Plus IMO).
supports tethering with remote assistant (as long as you're at least v1.20),
supports SDM if you decide to go down that road.
You can turn off DFS
Proprietary generic batteries are cheap, easy to find, and last a long time (I consider this a plus).
Top LCD

What you gain with the K20d over the K10d if you can find one at a price you're willing to pay....

Adjustment of up to 20 lenses (you have to hack the K10d to adjust One).
Higher capacity sensor
Better image at higher ISOs (but not enough to choose over the K-x based on that alone).
Somewhat faster AF

Contrary to popular belief, the two bodies are NOT identical. They re-did the buttons (4 way controller) on the K20d over the K10d and also the AF-S/AF-C/M switch. Otherwise, they are the same. What you Lose with the K20d, is the ability to turn off DFS.

01-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The upgrade path will depend a lot on your needs and what you find limiting about the K100D. Would you like more resolution, less high-iso noise, more direct-access buttons and switches, a front control dial, more AF points or SDM capability?

The K200D shares the 10mp sensor with the K10D, is a little smaller, and takes AA batteries, like your K100D. It also has dust removal, shake reduction, wireless flash control, a top LCD, and is weather sealed.

The additional switches on the K10D compared to K200D are: metering mode, autofocus mode, autofocus point, and a front control dial.
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hmm I would disagree, The K-x and K20D are in two different categories, only thing the K-x would be better for is high ISO shooting. K-x is a beginner model, the K20D is a enthusiast/semi-pro model. Up to what you are looking for though.
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, Ken thanks for your input and that was part of the reason for upgrading. Less high-Iso noise. Weather sealing would be nice too since I live close to water, and an ocean.

Jeff, thanks for the outline on what is better or not on the K10D. Mostly I'm worried about the weight of the K10d compared to my K100d. Especially since the K10d doesn't use AA batteries. This was one reason I had previously considered the K-X.

And the K10D, I was looking at says it's a bargain (BGN), as in KEH's ratings. So I don't know what is wrong with it, and now I'm having second thoughts about buying that one.

grainbelt, that K200d sounds like a good deal too. I just haven't seen any at really low prices when doing my research. And yes, KEH is where I bought my K100D but I have checked Adorama, and B&H for the K200D also when I was hunting.

01-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would consider the last line in your signature. At lower ISOs and with cheaper lenses, I don't think a K10D or K20D are going to give you that much better image quality. I don't think there's a gain in high ISO performance from K100D to K10D either - I could be wrong there. If you have a lens upgrade in mind for the same budget, especially in a range you don't have, you could see greater gains there.

Edit: as a former AA user, now proprietary batteries, it's not a big deal. You may find you like them better. Today the only downside I can think of is that I have a ton of AAs and not many uses for them.
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The decision points between a K20D and K-x are going to depend on your priorities, and whether high-iso is more imperative than the external controls and weather sealing.

In the meantime, a K10D or K200D will be a slight step up in both resolution and a few other areas, outlined above.

And yes, KEH is where I bought my K100D but I have checked Adorama, and B&H for the K200D also when I was hunting.
There appears to be one for sale in our own forum marketplace, unless it simply hasn't been marked 'sold' yet.

link
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Well, Ken thanks for your input and that was part of the reason for upgrading. Less high-Iso noise. Weather sealing would be nice too since I live close to water, and an ocean.

Jeff, thanks for the outline on what is better or not on the K10D. Mostly I'm worried about the weight of the K10d compared to my K100d. Especially since the K10d doesn't use AA batteries. This was one reason I had previously considered the K-X.

And the K10D, I was looking at says it's a bargain (BGN), as in KEH's ratings. So I don't know what is wrong with it, and now I'm having second thoughts about buying that one.

grainbelt, that K200d sounds like a good deal too. I just haven't seen any at really low prices when doing my research. And yes, KEH is where I bought my K100D but I have checked Adorama, and B&H for the K200D also when I was hunting.
The proprietary battery is both more lightweight and more compact than 4 AA batteries not to mention there is only one vs four. I'm not going down the x vs y path yet again, I have my preference, other people have theirs. There are a lot of worthwhile reasons for considering a different camera, I'll just say, but AAs isn't one of them IMO.

01-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Tell me good reasons for upgrading
1. You want to
2. You can afford to

No other justification is needed.
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm still not sure which one would be a better upgrade. I've checked on a K10D, a K-X, and a K200D, all seem to be in about the same price range, give or take a few dollars.

alohadave, that wasn't what I really wanted to hear.

If I buy something else, I haven't made up my mind about selling the K100D to supplement the cost of something new or keep it as a second camera. If I could get rid of the two film cameras I have for a decent price, that would help too. The only problem is, both would not bring in more than $75 without lenses.

To just1moredave, I can't afford to buy a prime 200 or 300 f2.8. WoW!! those things are expensive.

Jeff, I do appreciate your input. And I didn't expect you to get into the war of x vs. y. That's too much like which is better, Mac or PC. We don't like going there either.

This buying isn't going to happen in the next two months, so right now I'm just gathering users comments and will let you all know the outcome when I have the funds to buy either or.

Thanks again for enduring my questions and/or comments..er, gripes.
01-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm still not sure which one would be a better upgrade. I've checked on a K10D, a K-X, and a K200D, all seem to be in about the same price range, give or take a few dollars.

alohadave, that wasn't what I really wanted to hear.

If I buy something else, I haven't made up my mind about selling the K100D to supplement the cost of something new or keep it as a second camera. If I could get rid of the two film cameras I have for a decent price, that would help too. The only problem is, both would not bring in more than $75 without lenses.

To just1moredave, I can't afford to buy a prime 200 or 300 f2.8. WoW!! those things are expensive.

Jeff, I do appreciate your input. And I didn't expect you to get into the war of x vs. y. That's too much like which is better, Mac or PC. We don't like going there either.

This buying isn't going to happen in the next two months, so right now I'm just gathering users comments and will let you all know the outcome when I have the funds to buy either or.

Thanks again for enduring my questions and/or comments..er, gripes.
Either way, we both know that the best one, is the one that gets the job done for us . Good luck in your hunt..

01-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I got some Minolta NP-400 to make them as spare batteries for my K-10D and K-20D . With those 2 NP-400 fully charged to go along with the original in the camera, I am good to go on some days vacation with a lot of shots .