Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Maybe this argument is a bit overstated: a P&S would be no replacement for a DSLR and half a dozen primes.
I have come to the conclusion that packing around a half a dozen primes is inconvenient, cumbersome and just a plain hassle. So I have sold most of mine and haven't looked back.

01-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsauna Quote
Thanks so much for your advice. How is the quality of the 16-50mm compared to the 15mm 21mm and 40mm, is it better to get that one and get rid of all of the primes? and get the 50-135mm plus teleconverter and get rid of the 18-250mm?
Is the 17-70mm better quality than the 16-50mm?
Note that before you do anything, you should start thinking about properly designing your lens kit. Each person has different needs and uses, and my advise below is based (obviously) on my shooting preferences, which may be different than yours. You may also wish to look at the poll I ran about 2 months ago on designing a lens kit.

You should also note that my own kit only shares the sigma 10-20 with your present kit, therefore, I can't speak about better or differences between specific lenses, but more on the usefulness of focal length ranges and F-stops.

However.......

In my opinion, you have the basis of a good kit, with a mix of primes for special purposes and zooms for general purposes.

The way I use zooms, is as a backbone general purpose kit. I can travel with my 4 commonly used zooms, and 2 teleconverters and do MOST of what I need.

My zoom lenses are :

Sigma APO 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC
Pentax SMC-FA-J 18-35 F4-5.6
Tamron XR Di 28-75F2.8
Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX (non DG non macro)
plus sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters.

If I know I am not doing anything other than city touring, the big sigma stays home along with the TCs. I have even left the 18-35 home, to reduce the load. The zooms allow me to work quickly, which is a MUST when considering family vacations, and the fact that my schedule is dictated by others who tolorate my hobby. I have to work within their time and travel plans not mine. Zooms are great for this.

WHen I am shooting specific subjects, or on my own timetable, the zooms stay home and I travel with primes. I have both M42 and K mount MF kits from 24mm to well over 200mm

With all but 1 or 2 exceptions out of 20 primes, the primes are faster at their focal length than my zooms. That was a self imposed condition to control LBA.

I like my primes, especially the takumars, and some presets I have picked up. For old lenses the image quality is as good as the zooms and the lenses have design differences that impact especially the bokeh to make the images different than what the modern zooms can do. The primes make me slow down, and think about what I am doing, and since photograhy is a hobby and form of relaxation for me, the primes are part of the process.

Others may have considerably different reasons and objectives, which is why I started out with the statement I did. What works for me, may not suite your requirements.

As for the remainder of the questions, I am not sure what you want to do, but it all will be based upon the long tele zoom you get.

Note also that there is not a current production HSM teleconverter on the market, so you can;t add a TC to any new lens you get to go longer.

If you go with the 70-200 I can see the 17-70 being more use. The gap at 50-70mm is going to cause a problem for city touring, or more importantly, if youleave the 70-200 at home, being limited to 50mm may be restrictive. If you get the 16-50 and 50-135, I can see carrying both in cities, and you will use the 50-135 at the short end only. THat is a lot of weight to cover the 50-perhaps 80mm range.

My preference would be the 17-70 to cover that range and leave the long glass at home. Another option is the 17-135 which is new on the market. but slower.

As for the 18-200, I think once you go for the faster set of zooms, you will find that it is too slow, and just not as sharp,

I never did like super zooms for just that reason. I understand the desire to have a 1 lens do it all approach and to go compact, but in that case a bridge camera is a better option. I still use an old Kodak 5MP with 36-360mm zoom for light work, and the newer pentax X90 has this beat in all regards. For simple things that is the way to go, as opposed to getting an SLR and sticking a super zoom on it.
01-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #18
Forum Member

JHD,

I have tried the S95. The interface is still more sluggish than any DSLR I've tried. Ditto for the Panasonic LX3 which some consider the P&S for the serious amateur.

And call me backward but I still like an optical VF. And not an EVF, I did not particularly like the Samsung NX100.

Granted, once they get that noise down some more and get the AF speed up, P&S will become ever more compelling. But -- it seems that P&S design is really going down the no-optical-VF (or EVF) path.

I'm particularly fascinated by the Fuji X100 -- fixed 35mm f/2.0 equivalent lens, APS-C sensor.. but its price is really high.
01-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I have come to the conclusion that packing around a half a dozen primes is inconvenient, cumbersome and just a plain hassle. So I have sold most of mine and haven't looked back.
for travel, I agree, but my approach is different. I use zooms for travel, and generally have it down to 2 now, one per body, I use a sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-75F2.8. one camera in hand the other in a small shoulder bag.

If I am only travelling in a city, these two can do just fine.

BUT, my primes (all MF) I use when I am on my own, have time, and can play around with a specific lens, one at a time, for a specific function. In this case I find I like the primes more than zooms.

01-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The portability argument is over stated. Really, if that matters just go with a point and shoot.
I think that's utter nonsense. Size and weight matters as soon as you want to fly anywhere, and whenever you walk more than a few miles, and about 90% of my photos are taken in one or both of these scenarios. The quality of images from the S95 doesn't approach that from a K-series DSLR with a half-decent lens.

In answer to the original question, I've got a 10-20 then a jump to the DA40 and it's perfectly fine for my purposes. I don't think the 15 and 21 are necessary on top of that except as objects of beauty. The 10-20 is definitely not beautiful.

Can't offer any advice about the longer end as I'm in a quandary about that myself.
01-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your advice everyone.

I don't really care about portability for now, I care much more about the quality, and I also feel that having 3 prime lenses and switch them every time to be more troubling than having a bigger zoom lens (sometimes I'm lazy to change them). I know the 16-50*mm would replace the 15mm, 21mm and 40mm limiteds, but is the quality as good as each one of those lenses at those focal lengths? (I'm also kind of attached to the 40mm)

I don't really use the 70mm macro also, and I think I can get manual lens for the half the price, so if I sell the 21mm, 15mm, 40mm, 70mm and 18-250mm and I get the 16-50* and 50-135* plus teleconverter, along with my 10-20 I will have the same range, but will the quality be the same or better?

Really appreciate your help by the way.
01-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
JHD
Veteran Member

Your up to speed on the SDM issue, right? If not, you won't have to look too long or hard to see what's up... or rather down with that. Best advice I can give is splurge on extended warranties if you must go that route.

I think there are better 3rd party options, backed up with better warranties to boot.
01-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I think that's utter nonsense. Size and weight matters as soon as you want to fly anywhere...
In my experience having to pack around a pile of primes vs. one or two zoom lenses makes no sense.

01-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

In my experience having to pack around a pile of primes vs. one or two zoom lenses makes no sense.
If you feel you need to cover every focal length then yeah, you're a zoom shooter. If your essential pile(!) of primes is bigger and heavier than zooms of equivalent speed and quality, you are indeed using too many lenses.

None of this implies that the portability argument is overstated.
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your advice everyone.

I don't really care about portability for now, I care much more about the quality, and I also feel that having 3 prime lenses and switch them every time to be more troubling than having a bigger zoom lens (sometimes I'm lazy to change them). I know the 16-50*mm would replace the 15mm, 21mm and 40mm limiteds, but is the quality as good as each one of those lenses at those focal lengths? (I'm also kind of attached to the 40mm)

I don't really use the 70mm macro also, and I think I can get manual lens for the half the price, so if I sell the 21mm, 15mm, 40mm, 70mm and 18-250mm and I get the 16-50* and 50-135* plus teleconverter, along with my 10-20 I will have the same range, but will the quality be the same or better?

Really appreciate your help by the way.