Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
My point is that better won't cut it. It isn't possible with current technology to have a realtime display like that. There will always be significant lag while the camera processes the image and outputs it to the screen - especially if the camera or scene has a lot of movement. There is zero point in seeing something nice and bright in an EVF if it's already moved or flown away.
my advice is to try it first before you pass judgement. I for one am not into EVF either. but that was before I actually tried the newer ones (not the old type EVFs). and personally speaking, I didn't really see the significant lag problem that you are referring to. they are certainly fast enough to capture the subject and even faster to focus and accurately compared to Pentax's screwdrive motor.

QuoteQuote:
There's also the issue of it being just one more unnecessary gadget crammed into the camera to drain your battery faster.
this could be an issue, but it doesn't mean that they could not work around it to make the battery last longer. I wouldn't mind bringing 1 extra spare for emergency, and that is more than enough. unless if you are really into video recording, whether it is OVF or EVF, the battery will drain fast either way. still photography won't drain your battery fast unless you are using basic alkaline battery.

09-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #77
Veteran Member

I know this is an older thread, But just wondering what did the OP end up doing?? Any Updates?

As for myself I just recently got back with Pentax, Still waiting on my Cameras to show up, But My choices were very similar. I knew I wouldnt mind a K5 loved everything I have read about it however I have been shooting on a 6 year old DSLR and wanted to ease into the newer models, So I ended up with both a K7 and Kr for the same money as the K5. However I knew that these would not be my end all be all purchases but I can use both of them over the next couple years to find what I like and Dont like and dial in what I absolutely must have when its time to upgrade, and I will focus more on lens selection (no pun intended) anyway. So Im guessing I will be more educated if not happier that I went this route rather than just jumping in to the latest and greatest.

JJ
03-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
After skimming through this thread I found a few important points and I just wanted to get them checked to see if I understand and/or am missing something

I'm looking to get my first DSLR like the poster so I want this body to last. As most people said it's better to invest in lenses than in the camera body. If I'm thinking in terms of Longevity the K-7 should outlast the K-R because it's more like a "real" DSLR and not a step up from P&S. I've been using a DMC-LX5 for the past year and I think I'm comfortable with switching menus and adjusting before taking pics but when I compared the LX5 to the K-R I noticed that it wouldn't be such a big "jump" since they have limited physical controls and are menu driven. So I guess if I wanted to learn the knocks of DSLR photography and improve the K-7 would be a better choice?

but, I take a lot of pictures in low-light, especially around sunset. This, I understand, is an area which the K-R beats the K-7. Also I read that the K-R has a better sensor than the K-7.

I also have "average sized" hands so I guess I could hold both these cameras easily.

Question: I've done comparisons at snapsort and does the improvement in the optical viewfinder of the K-7 make a big difference? I intend to use the optical viewfinder a lot as it'll let me "see" what the lens is seeing, which I much prefer over staring at a screen (or at least that's my experience from playing with my friends' DSLRs)

I'm leaning toward the K-R right now but with the low light AF problem + the rumor that it's replacement is coming out later this year I'm a bit hesitant to commit.

Hope to hear from you.
03-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slappyfin3 Quote
If I'm thinking in terms of Longevity the K-7 should outlast the K-R because it's more like a "real" DSLR and not a step up from P&S.
This is incorrect. Both the K-7 and K-r are very much "real DSLRs". The K-7 has two e-dials, and weather sealing. The latter might increase its longevity a bit, as you can be less careful about weather, but there's nothing to indicate that it would last longer in any other way. They're both quality cameras.

You're right about the K-r being better in low light, having better high ISO performance, and etc. This isn't the strength of the K-7. If you want the best of both worlds, see if you can swing a K-5. They're on sale right now, and an excellent deal for the performance and quality it provides.

Question: I've done comparisons at snapsort and does the improvement in the optical viewfinder of the K-7 make a big difference?
A custom focusing screen would make much more difference in manual focusing, and seeing what's truly focused. A Katzeye screen, or one from focusingscreen.com would be a good choice, depending on budget. Both the split prism types and the Canon S type are popular, it boils down to a matter of preference. Either will be a significant step up from the stock focusing screen.

Pentaprism viewfinders are a bit brighter (maybe even more than a bit), but on its own I wouldn't consider it a deciding factor. Again, the K-5 is at the top, as it has a good pentaprism viewfinder in addition to all its other features.

That all said, I've owned a K-r for nearly a year now, had a problem free 21000+ shots from it, and considering my budget when I got it, I wouldn't change a thing. Given the chance to upgrade to a K-5, I would in a heartbeat, but I'm still very very happy with the K-r, and I suspect (but obviously can't test) that I'm a bit better off than I would have been with a K-7, which I did also consider.

I'm not the type to worry about new models on the horizon. I'm not an early adopter, I can't afford to buy a potential lemon, so I figure if the right device is out there already, I'm just wasting time not to act on it.

03-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #80
Inactive Account

Thank you Philoslothical, I would jump on the opportunity to get a K5 but it's beyond my means at the moment. Anyway, just to clarify what I meant by the new model, i was hoping to take advantage of the (potential) proce drop of the kr when the replacement comes out x)
03-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Thank you Philoslothical, I would jump on the opportunity to get a K5 but it's beyond my means at the moment. Anyway, just to clarify what I meant by the new model, i was hoping to take advantage of the (potential) proce drop of the kr when the replacement comes out x)
I wouldn't bet on a significant price drop. The K-r is so cheap for what it offers performance-wise, and it is also quite successfull on the market (as far as I can see), that there is no need for Pentax to make an excessive EOL sale.

In my experience - and I am with Philoslothical here - the K-r is a really good DSLR, well placed above the average entry level model. Yes, I still prefer the two e-dials of the even higher spec modells, but I can switch to the K-r instantly. And for the smaller viewfinder: just add a good 1.2x or 1.3x magnification eyepiece. If you switch from a modell with the bigger viewfinder to the K-r, you will certainly notice the difference, but used on its own, its a good and comfortable finder.

Ben
03-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm leaning toward the K-R right now but with the low light AF problem + the rumor that it's replacement is coming out later this year I'm a bit hesitant to commit.

Hope to hear from you.
Just to be specific about the low-light AF problem: it exhibits under tungsten lighting, it should not be an issue when shooting outdoors during dawn/dusk.

I think there is room for a price drop; the comparable 14MP Nikon D3100 is $100 cheaper than the K-r, and the Canon 18MP Rebel T2i is the same $649 as the K-r. These are all Amazon prices for body + kit lens.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-31-2012 at 09:52 AM.
04-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #83

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sooo happy with my K-7 and excuse me for attaching this photo at ISO 3200 +1 EV = ISO 6400? (Sigma 170-500, f8)
I would never want to be without 2 dials and TaV!
Just my 2c.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo