Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was in the market for a K200D but couldn't find a reasonably priced, close to new condition one anywhere.

I did however manage to find a new, unused, old stock K10D for only $379 - which I think was a great deal.

It appears the 2 cameras are very similar in IQ having the same CCD sensor.

What the K200D has over the K10D is the compact size and use of AA batteries - but on flip side the K10 has more 'pro' features. I would have been happy with either.

01-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote

I did however manage to find a new, unused, old stock K10D for only $379 - which I think was a great deal.
K10D also happens to be having PC sync socket for flash right? On K200D I turned around this with an external PC sync attachment.
01-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still got mine, at least for another couple of weeks, and I still love it.

I was waiting for Pentax to release a successor to it, but they never did - the K-x and K-r have better sensors but there's no weather sealing and no top LCD (and no focus point on the K-x) and the build quality just doesn't seem as good. The K-7 improved on it in most ways (viewfinder and front control wheel most obviously), but the sensor wasn't drastically better and it was much more expensive.

So, I have to buy a K-5 now! Pragmatically I should sell the K200D but I don't really want to - I'll have a good try at getting my girlfriend to take an interest in photography first.

Last edited by timh; 01-14-2011 at 03:49 AM.
01-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorg Quote
I always thought of the K200D as an updated K100D with the K10D's Sensor and added weather sealing. In reality would people say thats how it was, or is there more to it then that ?
That's what I thought. However, as a K100D user having testdriven the K200D I'd say the 200 has an edge in silent shutter operation but will blow out pics more quickly and does not have the jpg-engine quality of the 100. Could be just the trade-off you have to make for more Mpix.

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
First thing noticed when I bought K20D was how cmos sensor's saturation compared
to ccd's Ive seen, ccd looks more vibrant to me.
Vibrancy was in fact a little too much for me with the 200 (easily toned down though). CCD looks better imo for skintones and color-pop, agreed.

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
dont have K200(currently). there's a hassy 501cm & sweet little 80 for 6 franklins ,just down the street. some really great deals on K200 now
501 + k200 vs k5.... hmmm what would you folks do?
Get a 5d1 + 80/1.8usm and be done with it to be honest. There is a choir of 28' Zeiss sirens in my cabinet and their chant becomes deafening :-)

Last edited by georgweb; 01-14-2011 at 04:20 AM.
01-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I agree - although I've never used one i nearly bought one as my first DSLR. However, I got the K10D instead, as now there is hardly any price difference second hand. The K10D has the Pentaprism and the front e-dial, if it weren't for that they are virtually identical. Best bang for buck Pentax since the K1000, in their time, it always surprises me that people on here don't rave about them more... Probably cos most people did what I did and got the K10D....
01-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, glad to see I'm not the only one missing the K200D. Reading your replies, yeah, the availability of the K10D when the K200D hit stores probably hurt its sales some. I'm on the lookout for either in my side of the pond, though I think I'd prefer the K200D if only because it will use the same batteries as I have on my K-x, even though it lacks some pro features.

Here's one of my favorite photos that I took with my old K200D. It's certainly not the best (it may not even be PPG quality), but I love it just the same.

01-14-2011, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
Your post enticed me to do some research on this camera. It sounds like it's a K10D in a smaller package. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
Personally, I think it's something Pentax could've continued to separate itself from other makers. I think they had this strategy about being the system of choice for the adventurous type of photographers (along with their nearly-abuse-proof Optio). I wonder what happened to that.

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
Krebs,

You could talk me out of mine for about $400. Perhaps I should up the price given that it's now considered "vintage." lol.
I just might consider that as soon as funds present itself. Hohoho.

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
I love my K200D. At the time I bought it, the competition was the D40, XTi, and E500. Was an easy purchase for me, since I take it motorcycle camping and need a robust body.

I've been holding out for the K-x sensor, with WR, top LCD, and articulating rear screen (for macro live view focusing).

They could even call it the K-r WR, or K-r Super. I don't care, just make it. I'd keep the K200D as a backup - the detail of landscapes at ISO 100 with a good lens is fantastic.
Just the K-r + sealing is enough for me, really. I learned to live without the top LCD, though I won't complain about its inclusion if ever.

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I have a k200d and think it's great. I wish it had a front dial a bit, and lens microadjust. Guess I'm probably running out of hope of the latter being added in a firmware update...
Well, we can hope some genius hacker can make a custom firmware with lens adjust feature enabled?

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Nope. Not at all. - - - - That's the camera I am still using and I LOVE it !
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I don't miss mine a bit because it still does what I want it to!
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Still use my K200D all the time, just about to reach 20,000 shots. It has it's limitations, but it's still a great camera. Lower ISO is really good and I doubt the newer cameras have much on it in terms of final IQ at 100ISO...
Good on you guys! I wish I had mine still. Curse my fickle-mindedness back then. :P

At ISO 100/200, you really can't go wrong with any of the fine DSLRs in any system nowadays (and even back then).

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorg Quote
I always thought of the K200D as an updated K100D with the K10D's Sensor and added weather sealing. In reality would people say thats how it was, or is there more to it then that ?
I guess that's pretty much it, really.

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Me me meme , I gave my K200D to my wife and got a K-7, and I am looking for a new or like new K200D again, if I can get one I will sell my K-7, to my eyes because of it's CCD sensor and AA filter it's IQ is better than K-7 "on the monitor". The only drawback of K200 was it wasn't giving me headroom for cropping, other than that it's a perfect machine for photography. Honestly IQwise it's even better than K-5 too, for me.

One more thing, Eneloops stop working just below 0 C, I was carrying it under my coat in the cold.

Here is my one of the bests sample of K200D, click on pic to see full size, amazing ain't it. http://www.baytan.org/Pentax/IMGP2401.JPG
It's amazing then, it's still amazing now. Of course, the photographer had something to do with it, too. I haven't tried the K-5 myself to see how the two stack IQ-wise, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I was in the market for a K200D but couldn't find a reasonably priced, close to new condition one anywhere.

It appears the 2 cameras are very similar in IQ having the same CCD sensor.

What the K200D has over the K10D is the compact size and use of AA batteries - but on flip side the K10 has more 'pro' features. I would have been happy with either.
The K10D is also one heck of a camera. I'm in the same boat as you, wanting to buy either K10D or K200D. The good deals are mostly abroad, though, so taxes and shipping also factors into the equation where I am. I'm adamant about getting one of the two, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Still got mine, at least for another couple of weeks, and I still love it.

I was waiting for Pentax to release a successor to it, but they never did - the K-x and K-r have better sensors but there's no weather sealing and no top LCD (and no focus point on the K-x) and the build quality just doesn't seem as good. The K-7 improved on it in most ways (viewfinder and front control wheel most obviously), but the sensor wasn't drastically better and it was much more expensive.

So, I have to buy a K-5 now! Pragmatically I should sell the K200D but I don't really want to - I'll have a good try at getting my girlfriend to take an interest in photography first.
I can say from experience with the K100D that the K-x's build quality is similar. I don't see it conking out on me anytime soon. The weather-sealed ones are obviously better, but I have trust in the newer lower-end models. Your mileage may vary, though.

I hope you can get your girlfriend into photography. It would lessen the effort needed to explain why you bought a DA* lens or Limited. LOL.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
I agree - although I've never used one i nearly bought one as my first DSLR. However, I got the K10D instead, as now there is hardly any price difference second hand. The K10D has the Pentaprism and the front e-dial, if it weren't for that they are virtually identical. Best bang for buck Pentax since the K1000, in their time, it always surprises me that people on here don't rave about them more... Probably cos most people did what I did and got the K10D....
If one's particular about batteries, the decision could swing either way. The K10D drew raves back then (along with people wanting more from it), and I guess a lot of people have moved on to the newer models (or other systems) which is why we're not hearing as much about them anymore. Most here would say good things about the K10D if asked specifically, though. Personally, I got into Pentax's system initially because of it.

01-14-2011, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I would hope that the gap between the K-r and K-5 is large enough to slot another model in there.

T2i / 60D / 7D
D3100 / D7000 / D300s
K-r / GAP / K-5

I think Pentax could do well to bring weather sealing to that midrange segment.
01-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #24

I recently "upgraded" to a K200D from a K110D. It was the only camera I was interested in moving to (for now.) It was a little difficult to find one with low mileage.
01-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I still use mine at work for macro, but when that job is done i'll probably retire mine. I'm really looking at getting the K5 and use my K20D as backup.
01-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
K10D also happens to be having PC sync socket for flash right? On K200D I turned around this with an external PC sync attachment.
No, the K10d does not have a PC sync socket.
01-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I would hope that the gap between the K-r and K-5 is large enough to slot another model in there.

T2i / 60D / 7D
D3100 / D7000 / D300s
K-r / GAP / K-5

I think Pentax could do well to bring weather sealing to that midrange segment.
I think Pentax thinks more like

K-x / K-r / K-5
01-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I can say from experience with the K100D that the K-x's build quality is similar.
I've handled all the current models... The K-x has vastly better build quality than a similarly priced Canon, and it certainly isn't ever going to fall apart - but it just doesn't feel as solid as the 200D. (To me, anyway.)

I don't hold out a great deal of hope for my gf regarding photography, but she does at least like being in front of a camera.
01-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think Pentax thinks more like

K-x / K-r / K-5
Then they should have held the line on K-x pricing, weather sealed the K-r and sold it for $1000 with the 18-55 WR. No reason to keep the K-x and K-r in the lineup, they are nearly identical.
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Then they should have held the line on K-x pricing, weather sealed the K-r and sold it for $1000 with the 18-55 WR. No reason to keep the K-x and K-r in the lineup, they are nearly identical.
Or just put lights in the viewfinder of the K-x, called it the K-x Super and sold it for $50 more. And then made a cheaper (pentamirror) K-7ish camera with the K-x sensor and called that the K-r.