Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine still goes strong. I would say I upgraded the camera quite substantially - with a fast SDHC card (I know this camera has huge limitations in this respect but it works now much faster compared to recommended SD cards I bought 5 years ago), Pentax 40XS (much faster AF compared to my 2009 lenses, no need to improve the sharpness and contrast in post, so fewer noise in the final files). And last, but nit least the newer RAW software (big bonus - some dynamic range and at least 1 EV better low light capability).

With 40XS from last summer

12-09-2014, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #587
Forum Member

No I don't

I don't miss K200D, I still have, use it love it. Despite its age it can still kick some ass. I love its color rendition. Oh BTW, I also own K20 and K5. I will sell my K200D when it stops taking pictures. Then I will really miss it.
12-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #588
Pentaxian

Can you expand on 'newer raw software'? Is this a camera our post processing upgrade.

Thanks

Tuggie76
12-09-2014, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Is this a camera our post processing upgrade.
I presume he's referring to newer software as there have been no camera upgrades.

That's one of the amazing things about the K200 -- they did it right. No firmware fixes other than accommodating larger SD cards have ever been needed. A compact, WR body with a mature CCD sensor, AA batteries and no bug fixes needed. The Spotmatic/K1000 of the digital age.

12-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #590
Forum Member

I agree with you pacerr, I don't hear of any problems with the K-200D. I never hear of problems with the weather sealing like you due with the newer bodies.
Just think of how it would have been if Pentax had come out with the 18-135 lens when the
K-200D was a new camera, an inexpensive weather sealed camera and lens system for about a $1000.

Rick
12-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #591
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An excellent point, Rick. An' the DA 18-135 is a fine match for this body in my uses today. Would'a been a killer pair back then.

A number of folks have expressed the opinion that the K200D WAY overshot the mark for the entry level, consumer-market body. You still don't see 'em often in the used ads an I suppose many pleased users are holding on to 'em -- as I am.
12-10-2014, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #592
Pentaxian

At the end of the month my K200D is finally being upgraded, after over six years of use. I've ordered a K3 and after some use I'll decide whether or not I keep the K200D. I think it will be hard to let go - the IQ is as good as ever and with grip and Katzeye screen it's a manual-focus monster.

I certainly won't miss the erratic exposure, the inaccurate AF in anything less than great light or the battery problems. Despite all that, I still think it's a great camera. I will never forget comparing in with the equivalent Canon, Nikon, Sony and Oly models and wondering why anyone would ever choose one of the others.

Pentax have still not produced an entry-level DSLR since the K200D that I would consider buying.

12-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #593
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just sold my K200D !
Yes , loved the little camera , took a grip which was very nice ( Yes I had the grip ) . It fit the hand so well , took very nice pictures ..
Unfortunately 10MP only takes you so far ..
I even sold my Kx , even though I was enjoying it ..
Both cameras are being replaced by a K30 ... As it was the most affordable option too me ATM ..

Im not sure I will sell the K10 , perhaps keep it to remind me of all the older Pentax Digitals ( istD - istDS - K100D - K200D - Kx )
+ I really like the K10 / K20 ...

But what to do when the new 24MP SLR's come out ? ( I know - the K3 ) And right now Im waiting on the K3ii , not really sure I want a K3 ...
But what about a 24MP replacement for the K50 ? , and if anyone from Ricoh reads this - put a grip on it ... For gawds sake grip you SLR's - and PS/ I hate those tiny batteries ...
A grip , that takes a BIG battery ( OK )
12-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #594
Pentaxian

My K200D along with my 18-55mm do pit duty these days!

12-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #595

I don't exactly "miss" my K200D as I am still using it! I bought it in 2008 and it's still going strong! I am going to keep it as long as possible because I really love it.
I often think that when I will eventually have to replace it, I will have a very hard time finding another camera like it.
I love to see this post because it gives me a chance to rate these 6 years with the K200D.
Things I love about the K200D:
- rugged! The metal chassis and weather sealing are reassuring. I tried some other cameras in the same price bracket and they all felt too light and "plasticky" to me. All the knobs and buttons still feel very solid and no part has broken yet, so I can say that this camera was really well built and it shows;
- the auxiliary LCD on top. I know, this is not the only reason why you choose a certain camera over another one, but it is a really useful feature that is sadly missing on more recent models (yes, K50, I'm talking to you);
- AA batteries: 10 Euros for a 4-pack. Need I say more? Yes, I know that the K200D is famous for being fussy with batteries but I solved the issue: I only use Eneloop batteries and consistently get 500+ shots. Plus, I can use my "intelligent" LaCrosse battery charger instead of the usual "wall wart";
- no frills. My dad was a professional photographer in the 60s before giving up photography in the 80s. He can use the K200D without even looking at the manual. He says that its logic is very similar to an old film camera.
Reasons to consider changing the K200D (but I know I will never do it):
- 10 MP. For what I need to do this resolution is enough, but I can easily see how nowadays the increased resolution has pened many new possibilities;
- maximum ISO sensitivity: 1600. Today ISO 51200 is not even funny anymore, and again it shows how technology has improved;
- slow AF. I know, I know. But I am using a lot of old manual focus lenses so AF speed is not essential for me;
- no live view. Well, for me looking into the viewfinder is "live" enough. Really, I can see how this is a useful function but I have yet to think that I absolutely need it;
- no movies. Well, when I want movies I go to the cinema.

Bottom line: I know that it's an outdated camera, but every day I like my K200D more and I can live with its shortcomings. It's a subtle pleasure being out of the "rat race" and looking at the astonished faces of other photographers («Whaat? Only ten megapixels?»).
Sooner or later the day will come when I will have to replace it, and that day I will be a very sad dude.
12-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #596

As a "re-entrant" photographer after a number of years away from the hobby, I had started with a Canon S3-IS. When I decided to get a DSLR, I honestly didn't even consider a Pentax. I was trying to decide which Canikon to get when I happened across a brief mention of the K200 in a photo magazine, so I did some more research on it. Weather sealing? Metal chassis? Top LCD? At that price?? What???? Sign me up!

I have great memories of that camera. I (very reluctantly) sold it a year or so after I got my K5, but greatly enjoyed it for the several years that I used it.
12-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure what Piotrek K means by "the newer RAW software (big bonus - some dynamic range and at least 1 EV better low light capability)".

But the software originally delivered with the K200D was the DCU3. I cannot be sure about its quality, because on my computer it was starting and running terribly slow, and caused all kinds of problems. So most times I did not get a result at all (in a reasonable time), and I temporarily switched to Raw Therapy (an early version with many bugs, but still better than DCU3).

Then I found on eBay someone from the US offering the original software disc coming with the K5. I bought it, installed it, and then updated it to the newest version of DCU4.
The DCU4 is very far ahead of DCU3 in every respect, and of course supports also all older Pentax DSLRs.

If Piotrek means the step from DCU3 to DCU4, I agree.

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-11-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typing
12-12-2014, 04:05 AM   #598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I am not sure what Piotrek K means by "the newer RAW software (big bonus - some dynamic range and at least 1 EV better low light capability)".

(...)

If Piotrek means the step from DCU3 to DCU4, I agree.
Just partly, yes I sometimes use still Pentax/Silkypix software and newer versions are clearly better. But if you compare results from this DCU 3 software or other 2009 released RAW converters to the todays ones you can have significant improvement in higher ISO images with the same camera. Also the NR software is much better then 5 years ago which makes K200D even more usefull. Also better features are available in RAW developing programs to improve dynamic range while maintaing normal look of the final files (not HDR-like look).

In many cases I prefer to use the newest RAW Therapee software for my K200D. One of my belowed options there is built in ND filter simulation which I tend to include in my workflow for the majority of the landscape shots. But sometimes I get better color from the Pentax software, even if the outcome is not that much detailed, if you look at 100% crops.

Also the software like TopazDetail gives me extra detail without using my higher MP cameras.
12-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Just partly, yes I sometimes use still Pentax/Silkypix software and newer versions are clearly better. But if you compare results from this DCU 3 software or other 2009 released RAW converters to the todays ones you can have significant improvement in higher ISO images with the same camera. Also the NR software is much better then 5 years ago which makes K200D even more usefull. Also better features are available in RAW developing programs to improve dynamic range while maintaing normal look of the final files (not HDR-like look).

In many cases I prefer to use the newest RAW Therapee software for my K200D. One of my belowed options there is built in ND filter simulation which I tend to include in my workflow for the majority of the landscape shots. But sometimes I get better color from the Pentax software, even if the outcome is not that much detailed, if you look at 100% crops.

Also the software like TopazDetail gives me extra detail without using my higher MP cameras.
Thanks for clarifying, Piotrek.

Tuggie76
12-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #600

Reading this post made me miss my K200D too. I am reaching out now for the dry box behind my chair to hold my K200D. It's been 12 hours already since I last used it.