Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 690 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #1051

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else misses the K200D. I believe it's one of the poorly-received Pentax DSLRs, owing to a small buffer and pricing (if I recall correctly, we were all spoiled with the K10D back then).

Personally though, weather-sealing and AA batteries (with apologies to the Li-ion supporters ) for an entry-level model is pretty amazing. Pentax already has WR kit lenses, so I'm hoping they'd come around to release another entry-level DSLR with sealing. With the better rep Pentax is getting these days from mainstream media, maybe a new K200D would turn some heads and be a viable travel DSLR.

What do you think?
It was my first digital camera with 18-55 DA II lens, same sensor as the K10, tropicalized, dual display etc. only drawback the AA batteries

09-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #1052
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolo57 Quote
It was my first digital camera with 18-55 DA II lens, same sensor as the K10, tropicalized, dual display etc. only drawback the AA batteries
I don't mind the AA batteries... I use eneloops and they hold charge for a long time. i.e. much morr than the DLI-90 battery, about the same as the DLI-50.
09-17-2021, 06:03 AM   #1053
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't mind the AA batteries... I use eneloops and they hold charge for a long time. i.e. much morr than the DLI-90 battery, about the same as the DLI-50.
The advantage of AA batteries is that they are everywhere if you run out.

But eneloops work really well.
09-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #1054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
The advantage of AA batteries is that they are everywhere if you run out.

But eneloops work really well.
What I liked about AA batteries was that I took this camera with me on my trip with a flash in the bag as well - and only one charger for both. Plus, it makes the K200D which is a mid-level body shoot all day with no charging or changing batteries, like a higher end body does.

09-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #1055
Pentaxian

What I liked about AA batteries was that I took this camera with me on my trip with a flash in the bag as well - and only one charger for both. Plus, it makes the K200D which is a mid-level body shoot all day with no charging or changing batteries, like a higher end body does.
I took my K3 on a trip and forgot to pack the charger, I had to buy one. AA's would have been cheaper!
09-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #1056
Pentaxian

I had a lot of problems with AA batteries in my K200D, even using Eneloops. The number of times I went out with fully-charged batteries and found that I couldn't shoot because the camera didn't recognise that they were charged... AAs are everywhere but most are Alkaline, which aren't great. Lithiums are what you really need if you're using single-use ones, and they're expensive. Eneloops (and similar from other brands) claim to be sold as charged but that's very rarely true, so they can't be used on the spot if you find yourself short.
09-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #1057
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I had a lot of problems with AA batteries in my K200D, even using Eneloops. The number of times I went out with fully-charged batteries and found that I couldn't shoot because the camera didn't recognise that they were charged... AAs are everywhere but most are Alkaline, which aren't great. Lithiums are what you really need if you're using single-use ones, and they're expensive. Eneloops (and similar from other brands) claim to be sold as charged but that's very rarely true, so they can't be used on the spot if you find yourself short.
It's the first time I hear about the K200D not recognizing charged eneloops as charged... were they relatively new? I know they are supposed to have a number of charges that they are able to hold.

09-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #1058
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have had instances where fully charged Eneloops have not been recognised. (K200D)

As I have always kept my sets of Eneloops together I thought that it couldn't be a problem with their charging but on investigation I found some cells not charged fully and the rest charged...

Not sure why... perhaps a faulty charger (using the Sanyo charger that came bundled with the Eneloops) or not seated correctly ?.

Eventually I used a charger that tests and checks each cell and charges them until full. This seems to have sorted things though monitoring charging times some take much longer than others so I guess some cells are nearing their end.

The Sanyo charger just worked on a set time so presume weaker cells were not fully charged.

If anyone has a link to a 'Capacity tester' for NiMH cells please post.
(I have a device that does this for LiON and would dearly love something for NiMH)
09-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #1059
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
I have had instances where fully charged Eneloops have not been recognised. (K200D)

As I have always kept my sets of Eneloops together I thought that it couldn't be a problem with their charging but on investigation I found some cells not charged fully and the rest charged...

Not sure why... perhaps a faulty charger (using the Sanyo charger that came bundled with the Eneloops) or not seated correctly ?.

Eventually I used a charger that tests and checks each cell and charges them until full. This seems to have sorted things though monitoring charging times some take much longer than others so I guess some cells are nearing their end.

The Sanyo charger just worked on a set time so presume weaker cells were not fully charged.

If anyone has a link to a 'Capacity tester' for NiMH cells please post.
(I have a device that does this for LiON and would dearly love something for NiMH)
I bought a similar "smart" charger and I believe it is better for the batteries but the K200D has always been dodgy in this respect. I initially bought it thinking the AA batteries would be a plus but they were anything but. I think I spent much more on multiple sets of batteries than I did on the single additional battery I've needed for my K-3.
09-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #1060
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I bought a similar "smart" charger and I believe it is better for the batteries but the K200D has always been dodgy in this respect. I initially bought it thinking the AA batteries would be a plus but they were anything but. I think I spent much more on multiple sets of batteries than I did on the single additional battery I've needed for my K-3.
I just used what I had in my bag. The last set I bought was for my K-50, when I bought a AA tray for it. That was some 2-3 years ago. But I'm not using that anymore since the battery latch broke on the K-50, so that set went to the K200D now (alternating with what's in my AF360FGZII and a spare set).

I think the problem you guys might be having is the mixing of new and old batteries. I only buy sets of 4 rechargeable AAs and the sets are always together. I never mix batteries from one set with batteries from another. So while I do have sets that are newer than others, the fact that they don't mix means they don't stress each other, I think. All of mine still hold a charge pretty well (unless my non-Pentax DLI90, I think I threw out 4 of those already... and one DLI-50)
09-21-2021, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #1061
Pentaxian

A bug (with SMC-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro)

09-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #1062
Pentaxian

I think the problem you guys might be having is the mixing of new and old batteries. I only buy sets of 4 rechargeable AAs and the sets are always together. I never mix batteries from one set with batteries from another. So while I do have sets that are newer than others, the fact that they don't mix means they don't stress each other, I think. All of mine still hold a charge pretty well (unless my non-Pentax DLI90, I think I threw out 4 of those already... and one DLI-50)
No, it's the camera. When I buy a set of batteries I write on them with permanent marker to indicate the month and year they were bought, so I always use them and charge them together and I always know how old they are.
09-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #1063
Pentaxian

dark woods

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 on K-200d

09-30-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #1064
Pentaxian

into darkness

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 on K-200d

09-30-2021, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #1065
Site Supporter