Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 690 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #91

Photos: Gallery
I know this thread is old but I'm glad it's still around. I'm a new Pentax user as of about a year ago I bought a K-x. I've used it constantly but lamented that I couldn't take it outdoors as often as I'd like. I do a lot of dirt biking (very dusty), skiing, hiking and mountain biking.

Last week I found a used K200d and I've brought it with me everywhere. It is so amazing to have such a capable, rugged camera for outdoor use.

I've tried it indoors in poor light and frankly, the K-x kicks it's butt. But for its intended use I couldn't be happier with my new K200d.

03-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #92
Veteran Member

I just bought the da12-24 and after seeing these samples I can't wait to test it on my K200d.
03-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else misses the K200D. I believe it's one of the poorly-received Pentax DSLRs, owing to a small buffer and pricing (if I recall correctly, we were all spoiled with the K10D back then).

Personally though, weather-sealing and AA batteries (with apologies to the Li-ion supporters ) for an entry-level model is pretty amazing. Pentax already has WR kit lenses, so I'm hoping they'd come around to release another entry-level DSLR with sealing. With the better rep Pentax is getting these days from mainstream media, maybe a new K200D would turn some heads and be a viable travel DSLR.

What do you think?
I sold our K200D only to later find out(with use) that it had better IQ in some ways than my K20D. To which I'd say I was pretty disappointed about. Other than that, the K200D was a good camera to us, it was reliable, well built and did what it was suppose to do.

Having said that, the K-5 has all but wiped those memories away now

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-04-2011 at 12:16 AM.
03-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #94
Veteran Member

K200D
Vivitar 135mm F3.5 Prime

DA* 50-135mm F2.8

03-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miss the K200D? Absolutely not.

With two in active service and two in ready reserve I can't say I'm missing 'em. If these last as long as my Spotties or MX (well, they ARE electronic gadgets) I'll be beyond caring what might replace 'em in twenty years regardless. They suit my needs just fine having started with the istDS, and the K100D and DS. Never considered the K10 or K20.

An' you really do save so much time and money when you don't consider body upgrades and all that discretionary cash can go to LBA -- or other toys.

H2

H2
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #96
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I just bought the da12-24 and after seeing these samples I can't wait to test it on my K200d.
12-24? You'll be surprised I guarantee you, anxiously waiting for the samples , indoor shots with flash will do the testing.
03-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #97
Inactive Account

Upgraded my K-7

Yes I did finally upgraded my K-7 and I've had my new K200D in my hands coupla hours ago, I guess it will be my main camera until Pentax releases a decent-worry free successor of K-5. I also will sell my K-7 ASAP. Now considering if I should upgrade the firmware to 1.0.1 or not.

03-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #98
Veteran Member

So you like the K200D better than the K-7?

I still have mine and will be keeping it but the K-5 is such a better camera over the K200D in every way, and can not fault it.
03-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #99
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
So you like the K200D better than the K-7?

I still have mine and will be keeping it but the K-5 is such a better camera over the K200D in every way, and can not fault it.
So I assume you experienced no stain nor FF issues. K200 is more controllable camera and gave better results under normal light conditions to me than K-7. K-7 was only better than K200 with abundant light conditions which is lot less than 10% of my pictures.
03-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Fair enough, just wanted to hear your thoughts, some other k-7 users feel the same too.

As for my K-5 , its a later model and stain free, and i bought it just after the latest firmware was launched and updated it on day of purchase and havnt experienced any FF issues.
I still love the k200d and it will now serve as my second body
03-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else misses the K200D. I believe it's one of the poorly-received Pentax DSLRs, owing to a small buffer and pricing (if I recall correctly, we were all spoiled with the K10D back then).

Personally though, weather-sealing and AA batteries (with apologies to the Li-ion supporters ) for an entry-level model is pretty amazing. Pentax already has WR kit lenses, so I'm hoping they'd come around to release another entry-level DSLR with sealing. With the better rep Pentax is getting these days from mainstream media, maybe a new K200D would turn some heads and be a viable travel DSLR.

What do you think?
although this is a really old thread, I think there are some points to consider here, from a different perspective.

The K200 is kind of a middle level camera, in a market that demands Ultimate pro(pentax is firmly not in this market) Pro/advanced (K5, preceeded by K7, K20, K10 and *istD) and entry level K-r (preceeded by K-x, then K100, *ist DXX)

the K200 did not fit, it was an advanced level sensor surrounded by entry level electronics in a half way advanced body.

For pentax to survive they need to concentrate on hitting the Advanced and entry levels with strong contenders, the present cameras do that. I am not sure the money is there for something in between entry and advanced, especially as prices vs performance fall.

The other thing is, at least for me personally, I like the option of having sensors that are different. Although entry level, the K-x and K-r have different sensors that can do some things very well, and offer even an advanced shooter something other than the same sensor just not as good performance in the body.

I think with todays offerings you might see a serious shooter with K7 / K-x or K5 /K-r pairing, than you would have seen K10 / K200 shooters a few years back.
03-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #102
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Is there an EVIL (for the silent shutter) with an articulated screen? That's what you need... Or one of these.
OMG!!!! They still sell those things!??!
03-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The K200 is kind of a middle level camera, in a market that demands Ultimate pro(pentax is firmly not in this market) Pro/advanced (K5, preceeded by K7, K20, K10 and *istD) and entry level K-r (preceeded by K-x, then K100, *ist DXX)
That is probably true, and goes at least part of the way in explaining why the K200D became one of the shortest lived of DSLRs (a great irony given that, in terms of bang for the buck, it was one of the best DSLRs ever). The K200D appealed most to those consumers who wanted to spend most of their photography dollars on lenses, rather than on a camera, and that's a small segment of the market. Most consumers in the sub $700 DSLR market just want to get as inexpensive a camera as they can find, which they will pair off with a kit lens or two. They have no need for weather sealing or top LCD or movable focus points. If there is a pro feature they might want, it is high ISO performance -- precisely where the K200D comes up short.

The K200D was also came out at an inopportune time, during the worst months of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression and only months after Nikon released the D3 and triggered a mania for high ISO performance. Worse, Pentax released no relatively inexpensive WR lenses to go with the K200D. The kit lenses weren't sealed until after the K200D was discontinued.
03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Well,

I tested the DA 12-24 on the K200D and the KX and it's really good. I purposely tested it under really bad lighting to see how it would focus. It was great. It was so good that I used it for a show and it focused great.

Here is the K200D/DA 12-24mm F4 with really flat light

KX/ DA 12-24mm F4 ISO 4000

KX/ DA 12-24mm F4 ISO 3200

Pentax K200D with DA 18-55mm WR - fabulous combo
03-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #105
Veteran Member

i still think the k200d sensor provides much sharper results than the K-7's. The K-7 body is light years ahead of the K200d which is why i use it much more. Its not that the K-7 is bad, the K200d is just astounding